Blind Item: Which Dead Drama Series is Suddenly Showing a Pulse?

Get More: Blind Item, News, Scoop

Here’s some news that’ll excite a buncha you… and then frustrate that same bunch, because — sorry! —it comes in the form of a Blind Item: A hit drama series whose final season was announced in the last 12 months may not be ending after all! Know which one yet? I’ll give you some clues…

Though the network told the world that the plug had been pulled, apparently not everyone involved in the show was in agreement about that. In fact, to this day, talks are ongoing behind scenes to extend its run, one way (in its current form) or another (in a tweaked form or even as a series of TV movies).

Sound like something’s rotten in the state of Denmark? Yeah, I’m with ya there.

Another big clue: No, it is not Tru Calling. That was axed ages ago. Let it go!

Your best guesses? Hit the comments section below.

Comments (665)

• Stargate Universe?

Comment by Jerri – January 13, 2011 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s safe to say this show is either still in production or has just finished production,and the sets are still standing and cast still under contract. I think either way, it is still airring
    and the key word is HIT.

So what hit shows are ending this year,or next.

Comment by Herb Finn – January 13, 2011 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smallville.

Comment by Darcy – January 14, 2011 12:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree
      smallville, it is
      with new justice league tv movies!

Comment by me2 – January 14, 2011 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The only reason I say no to Smallville is that it was never a hit drama series.

Comment by Chitown_mimi – January 14, 2011 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Smallville is and has been my favorite TV show for the past ten years. I would like to see it continue the story under a new name…perhaps Metropolis…since commuting back & forth to SV no longer makes any sense with the storylines primarily taking place in the city.

Comment by Tom Slayton – January 14, 2011 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i don’t see the CW doing tv movies, they just do that kind of thing
      would have to be a big 3 or fox. ABC Family does lots of tv movies, but the only other cable channels that do them are lifetime or disney

Comment by SonR – January 14, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heroes? 24?

Comment by Kevin M – January 14, 2011 01:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Keywords: may not be ending. Meaning it hasn’t ended yet. Which takes Heroes out of the running.

Comment by Miranda Valenti – January 15, 2011 03:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s 24, with the script for the movie getting a no go, they have to give bauer some closure…

Comment by ER – January 14, 2011 01:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wouldn’t a movie ruin the premise of the show being in real time? unless it was just a 2 hour event?

Comment by SonR – January 14, 2011 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Closer. I see a series of TV movies in the future, kind of like the 2 or 3 episodes we get each December.

Comment by Rebecca – January 14, 2011 03:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DOLLHOUSE

Comment by kiddo – January 14, 2011 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish, but again, the show he’s talking about hasn’t ended yet.

Comment by Miranda Valenti – January 15, 2011 03:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let it be Friday Night Lights!
    Ah. Sorry. Maybe not a “hit” drama.

Comment by deltadawn – January 14, 2011 03:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smallville, as EW hints in their throwover link to TVLine:

Hmmm…copyright infringement, Aus?

Comment by Bob – January 14, 2011 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good catch. This makes me so happy.

Comment by Oz – January 14, 2011 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How much would you give for it to be “Lost”…

Comment by Brian – January 14, 2011 04:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nothing. Don’t get me wrong I loved Lost but how could it be coming back? *Spoiler* They are all dead. *Spoiler*

Comment by V – January 14, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like they wrapped-up Dollhouse… Realistically I’m going to say that it’s either “Law & Order” or “24″

Comment by Brian – January 14, 2011 04:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least tell us when it is going to be revealed! Pleaaseee.

Man, I REALLY hope it’s Heroes (it fits into the description, TV Movies and a Miniseries have been discussed, its cancellation was announced May 14 if I’m not mistaken, and it has been absolutely a huge drama hit).

Comment by Andoni – January 14, 2011 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Again, he said may not be ending. Heroes already ended last year.

Comment by Miranda Valenti – January 15, 2011 03:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s quite obviously Dollhouse, Tru Calling – Eliza and the Denmark comment is referring to the play Dollhouse by Ibsen.

Comment by Emma – January 14, 2011 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • denmark referring to ibsen? really?

Comment by norge – January 14, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural.

This was supose to be it’s last season and it is actually doing well in it’s new time slot.

Or Smallville, but it would be wierd seeing superman in his outfit for a whole season!

Comment by PierceBoldmen – January 14, 2011 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Technically, last season was supposed to be Supernaturals last season.

Comment by V – January 14, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, last season was supposed to be its last season. Supernatural that is.

Comment by Miranda Valenti – January 15, 2011 03:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dollhouse? It was almost literally a miracle getting a second season from FOX, I don’t think anyone involved in the show was surprised or absolutely upset about it ending after its last season. And it wasn’t what I would call a “hit” either.

Comment by Andoni – January 14, 2011 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could Smallville possibly relocate to “Metropolis”. I mean it basically has already.

Comment by jay – January 14, 2011 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gosh, if it was Dollhouse I would do a jig and cheer and scream and possibly faint. Joss deserves another chance. BUT, I don’t think it is, because let’s face it… as loyal as I am and will ever be to the Master Joss Whedon… Dollhouse, while AMAZING as all of his stuff is, was never a hit. Of course, that is FOX’S fault for giving it a crappy timeslot. But whatev.

Comment by Potch – January 14, 2011 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it might be Ghost Whisperer. Cancellation was not even a year ago and was very sudden. “something is rotten in the state of Denmark” is a reference to Hamlet. And Hamlet saw and talked to the ghost of his murdered father.

Comment by nicole – January 14, 2011 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d say Dexter except the world knows that it’s getting a 6th season after all…

My bet is 24… they just can’t let Jack Bauer go.

Comment by Megan Dodson – January 14, 2011 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FLASHFORWARD!

Comment by Lili – January 14, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope it is flash forward too. the finale has the perfect set up to movie set in 2014

Comment by SonR – January 14, 2011 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Epitaph Three?

Comment by B – January 14, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so hoping its Rubicon!!!

Comment by Hopeful – January 14, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going with Law and Order. The original.

Comment by kj – January 14, 2011 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please tell it it’s…MEDIUM !

Comment by Carmen – January 14, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope not. That show lost its edge a long time ago.

Comment by Miranda Valenti – January 15, 2011 03:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Flashforward would be awesome.. is it medium or ghost whisperer?

Comment by ka – January 14, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It can’t be Dollhouse, Rubicon, FlashForward, Stargate Universe, Caprica, Legend of the Seeker, etc, none of those shows have ever been a hit, people, just read the entire article.

Comment by Andoni – January 14, 2011 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would kill for it to be Smallville, returning in the form of a proper Superman show. Maybe even on another network, if we were REALLY lucky.

Comment by RJ – January 14, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I WISH IT WAS THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES. IT SHOULD BE THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES. BUT THAT WAS OFFICIALLY CANCELED BY FOX IN MAY 2009.

IT IS OBVIOUSLY SMALLVILLE. I’VE BEEN HEARING ABOUT IT NOT BEING THE LAST SEASON FOR A WHILE. SMALLVILLE DOES THIS EVERY YEAR SINCE SEASON 5.

Comment by Superman – January 14, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully its Life Unexpected!!!!! :)

Comment by Jacqi – January 14, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish. But Life Unexpected isn’t exactly a hit.

Comment by Miranda Valenti – January 15, 2011 03:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I certainly hope it’s FlashForward. Although the ‘Hamlet’ reference fits both Dollhouse and Ghost Whisperer (please, no), the whole series ended on a note worthy of that quote. How there was a second blackout, how in said blackout it was hinted that Fiennes character really didn’t die and his daughter learns so, etc.

Comment by EV – January 14, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could it be Ugly Betty? Sure it was a comedy, but it was also a drama. And ever since it was first canceled the actresses have often spoke about a movie could be a possibility for the future. It was also definitely a hit, at one point or another.

Comment by Timmeh3008 – January 14, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess is Dollhouse. The Tru Calling sentence gives it away.

Comment by V – January 14, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PUSHING DAISEYS

Comment by Isaidit – January 14, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would give EVERYTHING for it to be LOST. haha.

I’m guessing Smallville….but I HOPE it’s The Closer.

Comment by neoanakinpotter – January 14, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When does TNT present at the television critic thing? I think cbS is up soon or is up now.

Comment by Teresa Conti – January 14, 2011 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ibsen was Norwegian, not Danish, and “Something rotten in the state of Denmark” is not from “A Doll’s House”, but from “Hamlet”, which isn’t even one of Ibsen’s plays.

I really wish people would stop just conjuring “facts” on-the-spot to support what they want to be true. It’s a plague in modern society.

Comment by Polonius – January 14, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • read the post that discussed the quotes, you are actually mis quoting the posts.

Comment by SonR – January 14, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t be Dollhouse because even though its last episode aired 12 months ago, it’s cancellation was announced on November 11, 2009

Comment by Dg – January 14, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i would love it to be ” the unusuals”

Comment by shawn – January 14, 2011 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friday Night Lights, please!

Comment by Karen – January 14, 2011 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The clues are Tru Calling and Denmark/Hamlet/Shakespeare

Hamlet(the play) says to me it is either Ghost Whisperer or Medium. Hamlet (as in small village) says Smallville.

I have no idea what the hint of Tru Calling is trying to say.

None of these hints has anything to do with the Closer, so while that may return, this blind item has nothing to do with it and isn’t referring to it.

Comment by reasoning – January 14, 2011 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love for it to be Smallville. It seems revitalized lately and I actually starting watching for the first time since season 4 (plus “small village” was clever). But I’m going with Medium.
      Tru calling apparently dealt with a medium as well, the title of the article is “DEAD”, and ghosts etc. = Hamlet. boo.

Comment by lorne – January 14, 2011 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, in your opinion. It’s not a fact that this blind item has nothing to do with any other show you are not mentioning. I hope it won’t be any of those shows just so you learn a lesson.

Comment by Andoni – January 15, 2011 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And the lesson is that you need to learn how to read. “The Closer” does not equal “every other unnamed show”. How anyone could make a stupid leap in logic like that is baffling. None of the clues point to “The Closer”. Duh. That doesn’t mean they don’t point to any shows at all!

Comment by oprah – January 15, 2011 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Here’s my take on the “not Tru Calling” clue: Ausiello is telling us the shows that are NOT the subject of the Blind Item.

It’s not Medium, Ghost Whisperer, or Dollhouse (like Dollhouse was ever a hit). I think it’s even referring to 24, though I suspect we haven’t seen the last of that franchise on tv.

Comment by C C – January 15, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    test

Comment by paragraphs? – January 14, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • King of the Hill

Comment by Nerd – January 14, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Caprica!

Comment by meme – January 14, 2011 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ghost Whisperer or Medium seem like safe bets. Maybe, Brothers & Sisters?

Comment by boidiva02 – January 14, 2011 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friday Night Lights!!!

Comment by fnlfan – January 14, 2011 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Heroes… But I wish it was Legend of the Seeker =(

Comment by Tata – January 14, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Firefly!

(Yeah, I know. Just fantasizing.)

Comment by larryy – January 15, 2011 12:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let it be Heroes!

Comment by MarkFaust – January 15, 2011 01:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, it would be awesome if it’s Heroes, I want an ending so bad :( .

Comment by Andoni – January 15, 2011 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • HEROES HEROES HEROES HEROES!!! WE WANT HEROES NOW!!

Comment by SiniZ – January 28, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 24 or Law and Order would be fantastic.

Comment by Ameijha – January 15, 2011 02:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post