Blind Item: Which Dead Drama Series is Suddenly Showing a Pulse?

Get More: Blind Item, News, Scoop

Here’s some news that’ll excite a buncha you… and then frustrate that same bunch, because — sorry! —it comes in the form of a Blind Item: A hit drama series whose final season was announced in the last 12 months may not be ending after all! Know which one yet? I’ll give you some clues…

Though the network told the world that the plug had been pulled, apparently not everyone involved in the show was in agreement about that. In fact, to this day, talks are ongoing behind scenes to extend its run, one way (in its current form) or another (in a tweaked form or even as a series of TV movies).

Sound like something’s rotten in the state of Denmark? Yeah, I’m with ya there.

Another big clue: No, it is not Tru Calling. That was axed ages ago. Let it go!

Your best guesses? Hit the comments section below.

Comments (665)

• The Closer? At least, I hope it’s the Closer. I love that show.

Comment by Cate – January 12, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Closer is a great show! I hope its that.

Comment by Grant TV Nerd – January 12, 2011 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Entourage? or 24? Either would be good with me. i dont know if its been canceled already? or is it being canceled after the season airs?

Comment by Beefcake – January 12, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMALLVILLE!!!!

Comment by PLEASE – January 12, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol YES! Has to be!!!!

Comment by Emili Black – January 12, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still thinking Law & Order is a good one, because Dick Wolf definitely wasn’t happy with it’s cancellation.

But, I’ve just learned that 24′s movie is dead in the water, so it’s a contender to return to 24, surely?

I don’t think it’s a show currently on the air. The phrase “In fact, to this day,” makes it seem like something that happened/ended in the past. And the Blind Item title says “Dead Drama”, as in dead/ended/finished…

So, I’m not thinking of stuff like Smallville or FNL (best show on TV) for that very reason.

Comment by RikerDonegal – January 12, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With the “Dead Drama” in the title and the Hamlet (who talked to ghosts) reference in the clues, I’m guessing Medium. People were completely surprised it was canceled in the middle of the season. And they just finished shooting the last eps to air this month; so the sets haven’t been broken down and it would be easy to get the actors back.

Comment by KM – January 12, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is a good guess! I forgot about Medium.

Comment by leola65 – January 12, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Medium already got one reprieve when it switched networks. Do you think it is likely to get another?

Comment by Cindy L – January 12, 2011 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have friends who would hope for FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS. My nerd side (that won’t let go) wishes for SMALLVILLE even though it’s been lackluster for a final season.

Comment by leola65 – January 12, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m praaaaaaying it’s smallville.

Comment by Amanda – January 12, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smallville please! Except change it to Metropolis. I’d like to see that part of my life explored! And bring my good buddy Lex back!

Comment by Clark Kent – January 12, 2011 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also hope it is the Closer. My favorite show.

Comment by tain – January 12, 2011 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think people are on to something with the double allusion to speaking with the dead. But honestly I can’t say Medium is likely since they have done a lot of press discussing that they are indeed crafting a series finale. It is possible though. Especially since it enjoyed successful syndication on Lifetime which just recently announced a big push in original programming. I’m more inclined to think that it’s Ghost Whisperer which was yanked from the schedule without warning and did indeed seek a second home. It has been widely syndicated as well (Syfy, We, ion) and perhaps one of these nets has interest in producing new material set in the world of the series.

Comment by Buddy – January 12, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hop it’s Ghost Whisperer! I thought about that first!

Comment by Charlotte – January 12, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please be Friday Night Lights! Those writers are incredible, and I feel like so many new stories need to be told. Plus, more seasons means better chances for Emmys!

Comment by Liz – January 12, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big Love? (Ads all over this page about “The Final Season”.

Comment by Chris – January 12, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let it be”The Closer”.

Comment by Poodleshark – January 12, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 24. Announced within the 12 month window. Meant to continue in an alternate form, theatrical release. Everyone wanted involved in the making wanted to tell more stories.

Comment by geoscope – January 12, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well its not Friday Night Lights. I think you need to clarify Ausiello if the show was a financial hit (Desparate Housewifes) or critical hit (Life on Mars) and or fan hit (Jericho).

Comment by Jo Anne Carr – January 12, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking either Friday Night Lights or The Closer. I am a huge Smallville fan, but I don’t want it to be Smallville. In order to have a proper ending, they need to know when the end is. I think 10 years is a good stopping point!

Comment by Jenny – January 12, 2011 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing Medium (although I think the team for that show is ready to pack it in).

Comment by Ellen – January 12, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @KM, I googled Medium to see what it’s about and yes, I agree with you. If I remember correctly the quote from Hamlet was said by Marcellus to Horatio as Hamlet walks away with the ghost of his father. Couple that with “Dead Drama” and I’d guess the show is about dead people.

Comment by JenSmith – January 12, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smallville definitely.

Comment by JD – January 12, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was thinking Life Unexpected because they changed the name of the DVD collection from “The Complete Series” to “The Complete First and Second Season”.

But words can’t express how great it would be if it’s Rubicon.

Comment by Josh – January 12, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my first thought. I too noticed that they went from calling it the series to the end of the second season.

Comment by SD – January 12, 2011 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMALLVILLE!!!! LET IT BE SO PLEASE!!!! i would take it as Metropolis or in the form of movies!!!!!!!

Comment by darklady65 – January 12, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let it it be FNL!!!! If not then Big Love please!!!!

Comment by Lawton – January 12, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ghost whisperer

Comment by Vanna – January 12, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Life Unexpected? I would love for more Lost, but thats been wrapped up for good.

Comment by Paul Burrows – January 12, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I bet it’s Rescue Me. Ausiello has a good source there and it was the answer to another blind item 2 or 3 years ago about the lead character being shot and left for dead (as Tommy was a season or two ago).

Comment by MrHoward – January 12, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ” 24″ would be a pretty good candidate. Even as a spin off had a great cast and a timely enough story line to sustain another go. And the hour episodes are perfect draws to hold an audience.

Comment by R L Pete Housman – January 12, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terriers

Comment by Michelle – January 12, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not a hit drama, and only had one season, but THAT WOULD BE WONDERFUL. *sigh*

Comment by Cass – January 12, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My first thought was Life Unexpected.

Comment by Valerie – January 12, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let it be Friday Night Lights! My second guess would be…Big Love? Who knows..

Comment by Shara – January 12, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh right. It could be Big Love.

Comment by Grant TV Nerd – January 12, 2011 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Life Unexpected? At least I hope that’s what it is…

Comment by Karen – January 12, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish it was Life Unexpected! I don’t watch Friday Night Lights, or Medium…so…

Comment by rose – January 12, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Firefly. (Yes, I’m still hoping.)

Comment by PrezBO – January 12, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that would be awesome

Comment by junebug – January 12, 2011 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My choices would be Caprica or L&O Original…alas, not holding my breath…

Comment by Melanie J. – January 12, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMALLVILLE!!!!!!

Comment by Rachel – January 12, 2011 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “A hit drama series whose final season was announced in the last 12 months”

Not Smallville. Not these last few years, at least. A Show that rarely breaks 3M these days is not a hit for me.

Plus I really need it to end and put me out of my misery.

Comment by April – January 12, 2011 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CW is a crap network nothing on that network breaks 3M, yet Smallville does well on the deadbeat Friday nights (really scared about Fringe moving to Friday nights now but that’s another story). Supernatural barely gets 2 mill now yet its the best show on that network IMO. I could see a spinoff from Smallville so technically it wont be Smallville anymore; it’ll be a new show, a new name, different format. Win-Win, you will be out of your misery than haha :)

Anyways. My money is on The Closer. I will take it to the bank. Anyone wanna make a bet with me? I will accept anything!

Comment by Grant TV Nerd – January 12, 2011 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Umm… Vampire Diaries has only gone below 3 mil once in its whole run… So far.

Comment by Walter – January 13, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • its not smallville he said the network announced it to the world and i think tom welling is the one to spill the beans on smallville if i am not wrong.

Comment by don – January 12, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know it wasn’t a ‘hit’ series, but could it be Dollhouse? Tru Calling clue…Eliza Dushku (or however you spell her name)…

Comment by Lizzie – January 12, 2011 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • is it jericho or heroes?

Comment by jake – January 12, 2011 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s either Ghost Whisperer or Medium.

Comment by dee123 – January 12, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please please please be Life Unexpected!!

Comment by Karouh – January 12, 2011 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only one I’d be interested in watching is Smallville, but only if Tom Welling is a regular. Without him, there is no show.

Comment by mgb – January 12, 2011 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope its Life Unexpected! This show is so underrated!

Comment by Tenika – January 12, 2011 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ghost Whisperer

Comment by Ross – January 12, 2011 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would LOVE for it be Smallville.. but which ‘Dead’ Drama Series.. its probably Medium or Ghost Whisperer.

Comment by Jooshua – January 12, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know I’m kidding myself, but I hope it’s Terriers!

Comment by Mike – January 12, 2011 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Closer. The End.
    I will take bets on this!

Comment by Grant TV Nerd – January 12, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Weeds! They announced earlier in the year that next season would be its last. Nancy Botwin turned herself in and the Botwin boys all left for Europe (Forget what part). I definitely think it’s Weeds!

Comment by Lizzie – January 12, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMALLVILLE! There was already buzz awhile ago they may want to go another Season, as the show is doing so well on Friday nights for the CW.

Comment by Nate – January 12, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The hints clearly show that the show is still in production (or it wouldn’t be behind-the-scenes), which means 24, Medium, Ghost Whisperer, Heroes, Terriers, Dollhouse or any other show that has stopped production.

For the “big” networks, this leaves basically Smallville and Supernatural, both of which would do well in TV Movies, but CW don’t do movies.

It’s more likely a cable network as TV Movies do better business there (see the recent Leverage event on TNT). It’s doubtful it’s Damages, as it’s on some network called The 101 Network which hasn’t exactly canceled it yet. The Closer is canceled because Kyra Sedgwick canceled it. If she changed her mind, they’d pick it up in a second. Rescue Me is a good guess as it was already saved from cancellation once. But my guess is Entourage. It’s done well in international syndication, and more eps mean more moolah. Yeah, a feature film has been promised, but we all know that ain’t gonna happen. Besides, a two-hour HBO Entourage “event” can still be released as a feature film overseas, and there’s more money in syndication than there is in movies anyhow.

Comment by KevyB – January 12, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post