Blind Item: Which Dead Drama Series is Suddenly Showing a Pulse?

Here’s some news that’ll excite a buncha you… and then frustrate that same bunch, because — sorry! —it comes in the form of a Blind Item: A hit drama series whose final season was announced in the last 12 months may not be ending after all! Know which one yet? I’ll give you some clues…

Though the network told the world that the plug had been pulled, apparently not everyone involved in the show was in agreement about that. In fact, to this day, talks are ongoing behind scenes to extend its run, one way (in its current form) or another (in a tweaked form or even as a series of TV movies).

Sound like something’s rotten in the state of Denmark? Yeah, I’m with ya there.

Another big clue: No, it is not Tru Calling. That was axed ages ago. Let it go!

Your best guesses? Hit the comments section below.

1. Cate says:

The Closer? At least, I hope it’s the Closer. I love that show.

2. Beefcake says:

Entourage? or 24? Either would be good with me. i dont know if its been canceled already? or is it being canceled after the season airs?

3. PLEASE says:

SMALLVILLE!!!!

4. RikerDonegal says:

I’m still thinking Law & Order is a good one, because Dick Wolf definitely wasn’t happy with it’s cancellation.

But, I’ve just learned that 24’s movie is dead in the water, so it’s a contender to return to 24, surely?

I don’t think it’s a show currently on the air. The phrase “In fact, to this day,” makes it seem like something that happened/ended in the past. And the Blind Item title says “Dead Drama”, as in dead/ended/finished…

So, I’m not thinking of stuff like Smallville or FNL (best show on TV) for that very reason.

5. KM says:

With the “Dead Drama” in the title and the Hamlet (who talked to ghosts) reference in the clues, I’m guessing Medium. People were completely surprised it was canceled in the middle of the season. And they just finished shooting the last eps to air this month; so the sets haven’t been broken down and it would be easy to get the actors back.

6. leola65 says:

I have friends who would hope for FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS. My nerd side (that won’t let go) wishes for SMALLVILLE even though it’s been lackluster for a final season.

7. Amanda says:

i’m praaaaaaying it’s smallville.

8. Clark Kent says:

Smallville please! Except change it to Metropolis. I’d like to see that part of my life explored! And bring my good buddy Lex back!

9. tain says:

I also hope it is the Closer. My favorite show.

10. Buddy says:

I think people are on to something with the double allusion to speaking with the dead. But honestly I can’t say Medium is likely since they have done a lot of press discussing that they are indeed crafting a series finale. It is possible though. Especially since it enjoyed successful syndication on Lifetime which just recently announced a big push in original programming. I’m more inclined to think that it’s Ghost Whisperer which was yanked from the schedule without warning and did indeed seek a second home. It has been widely syndicated as well (Syfy, We, ion) and perhaps one of these nets has interest in producing new material set in the world of the series.

11. Liz says:

Please be Friday Night Lights! Those writers are incredible, and I feel like so many new stories need to be told. Plus, more seasons means better chances for Emmys!

12. Chris says:

Big Love? (Ads all over this page about “The Final Season”.

13. Poodleshark says:

Please let it be”The Closer”.

14. geoscope says:

24. Announced within the 12 month window. Meant to continue in an alternate form, theatrical release. Everyone wanted involved in the making wanted to tell more stories.

15. Jo Anne Carr says:

Well its not Friday Night Lights. I think you need to clarify Ausiello if the show was a financial hit (Desparate Housewifes) or critical hit (Life on Mars) and or fan hit (Jericho).

16. Jenny says:

I’m thinking either Friday Night Lights or The Closer. I am a huge Smallville fan, but I don’t want it to be Smallville. In order to have a proper ending, they need to know when the end is. I think 10 years is a good stopping point!

17. Ellen says:

I’m guessing Medium (although I think the team for that show is ready to pack it in).

18. JenSmith says:

@KM, I googled Medium to see what it’s about and yes, I agree with you. If I remember correctly the quote from Hamlet was said by Marcellus to Horatio as Hamlet walks away with the ghost of his father. Couple that with “Dead Drama” and I’d guess the show is about dead people.

19. JD says:

Smallville definitely.

20. Josh says:

I was thinking Life Unexpected because they changed the name of the DVD collection from “The Complete Series” to “The Complete First and Second Season”.

But words can’t express how great it would be if it’s Rubicon.

21. darklady65 says:

SMALLVILLE!!!! LET IT BE SO PLEASE!!!! i would take it as Metropolis or in the form of movies!!!!!!!

22. Lawton says:

Please let it it be FNL!!!! If not then Big Love please!!!!

23. Vanna says:

Ghost whisperer

24. Paul Burrows says:

Life Unexpected? I would love for more Lost, but thats been wrapped up for good.

25. MrHoward says:

I bet it’s Rescue Me. Ausiello has a good source there and it was the answer to another blind item 2 or 3 years ago about the lead character being shot and left for dead (as Tommy was a season or two ago).

26. R L Pete Housman says:

” 24″ would be a pretty good candidate. Even as a spin off had a great cast and a timely enough story line to sustain another go. And the hour episodes are perfect draws to hold an audience.

27. Michelle says:

Terriers

28. Valerie says:

My first thought was Life Unexpected.

29. Shara says:

Please let it be Friday Night Lights! My second guess would be…Big Love? Who knows..

30. Karen says:

Life Unexpected? At least I hope that’s what it is…

31. rose says:

Wish it was Life Unexpected! I don’t watch Friday Night Lights, or Medium…so…

32. PrezBO says:

Firefly. (Yes, I’m still hoping.)

33. Melanie J. says:

My choices would be Caprica or L&O Original…alas, not holding my breath…

34. Rachel says:

SMALLVILLE!!!!!!

35. April says:

“A hit drama series whose final season was announced in the last 12 months”

Not Smallville. Not these last few years, at least. A Show that rarely breaks 3M these days is not a hit for me.

Plus I really need it to end and put me out of my misery.

• Grant TV Nerd says:

CW is a crap network nothing on that network breaks 3M, yet Smallville does well on the deadbeat Friday nights (really scared about Fringe moving to Friday nights now but that’s another story). Supernatural barely gets 2 mill now yet its the best show on that network IMO. I could see a spinoff from Smallville so technically it wont be Smallville anymore; it’ll be a new show, a new name, different format. Win-Win, you will be out of your misery than haha :)

Anyways. My money is on The Closer. I will take it to the bank. Anyone wanna make a bet with me? I will accept anything!

36. don says:

its not smallville he said the network announced it to the world and i think tom welling is the one to spill the beans on smallville if i am not wrong.

37. Lizzie says:

I know it wasn’t a ‘hit’ series, but could it be Dollhouse? Tru Calling clue…Eliza Dushku (or however you spell her name)…

38. jake says:

is it jericho or heroes?

39. dee123 says:

It’s either Ghost Whisperer or Medium.

40. Karouh says:

please please please be Life Unexpected!!

41. mgb says:

The only one I’d be interested in watching is Smallville, but only if Tom Welling is a regular. Without him, there is no show.

42. Tenika says:

I really hope its Life Unexpected! This show is so underrated!

43. Ross says:

Ghost Whisperer

44. Jooshua says:

I would LOVE for it be Smallville.. but which ‘Dead’ Drama Series.. its probably Medium or Ghost Whisperer.

45. Mike says:

I know I’m kidding myself, but I hope it’s Terriers!

46. Grant TV Nerd says:

The Closer. The End.
    I will take bets on this!

47. Lizzie says:

Weeds! They announced earlier in the year that next season would be its last. Nancy Botwin turned herself in and the Botwin boys all left for Europe (Forget what part). I definitely think it’s Weeds!

48. Nate says:

SMALLVILLE! There was already buzz awhile ago they may want to go another Season, as the show is doing so well on Friday nights for the CW.

49. KevyB says:

The hints clearly show that the show is still in production (or it wouldn’t be behind-the-scenes), which means 24, Medium, Ghost Whisperer, Heroes, Terriers, Dollhouse or any other show that has stopped production.

For the “big” networks, this leaves basically Smallville and Supernatural, both of which would do well in TV Movies, but CW don’t do movies.

It’s more likely a cable network as TV Movies do better business there (see the recent Leverage event on TNT). It’s doubtful it’s Damages, as it’s on some network called The 101 Network which hasn’t exactly canceled it yet. The Closer is canceled because Kyra Sedgwick canceled it. If she changed her mind, they’d pick it up in a second. Rescue Me is a good guess as it was already saved from cancellation once. But my guess is Entourage. It’s done well in international syndication, and more eps mean more moolah. Yeah, a feature film has been promised, but we all know that ain’t gonna happen. Besides, a two-hour HBO Entourage “event” can still be released as a feature film overseas, and there’s more money in syndication than there is in movies anyhow.

50. Angie says: