Blind Item: Which Dead Drama Series is Suddenly Showing a Pulse?

Get More: Blind Item, News, Scoop

Here’s some news that’ll excite a buncha you… and then frustrate that same bunch, because — sorry! —it comes in the form of a Blind Item: A hit drama series whose final season was announced in the last 12 months may not be ending after all! Know which one yet? I’ll give you some clues…

Though the network told the world that the plug had been pulled, apparently not everyone involved in the show was in agreement about that. In fact, to this day, talks are ongoing behind scenes to extend its run, one way (in its current form) or another (in a tweaked form or even as a series of TV movies).

Sound like something’s rotten in the state of Denmark? Yeah, I’m with ya there.

Another big clue: No, it is not Tru Calling. That was axed ages ago. Let it go!

Your best guesses? Hit the comments section below.

Comments (665)

• It’s Smallville, for sure!

1st – It never dies
    2nd – It sucks

Comment by Daniel Barcelos – January 12, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I know a lot of people who’d be happy if it was Smallville, my guess after speaking with my friend Jason is that the show in question is The Closer.

Random, I know.

Smallville, I couldn’t see TV-movies because The CW just isn’t in the TV-movie business, and I’d imagine Warner Bros. would want the flight path cleared for their Man of Steel movie.

Comment by Craig – January 12, 2011 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even with all the medical ‘clues’, I’m excited by SJ’s guess that it might be Law & Order.

Please let it be Law & Order!!!

Comment by RikerDonegal – January 12, 2011 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The “something rotten in the state of Denmark” comment is what is getting me. It’s a quote from Hamlet. Not sure what the status of Damages is, but Glenn Close did play Queen Gertrude in the Mel Gibson version of Hamlet….

Comment by Steve – January 12, 2011 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brilliant guess! I’m on board with this one.

Comment by Andy – January 12, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It has a 2 season order for new eps on Directv that begins this summer!

Comment by Brock – January 12, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please be LEGEND OF THE SEEKER.

Comment by xaverie – January 12, 2011 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES! PLEASE!

It was not even picked up by SyFy though. So chances are slim to nonexistent.

Comment by Nina – January 12, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural would be my first desire, coupled with my second, third and fourth… They have yet to state whether this will be the last season or not for SPN, but if a wish could move the pen of tptb, then I wish a signature on a contract renewal for another two seasons or more of Supernatural.

Comment by Jaclyn – January 12, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dollhouse!!!!!!!!! Joss Whedon!!!!!

Comment by nat – January 12, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Smallville but Mediumn or The Closer makes more sense. Dante’s Cove would be awesome but most people have never heard of it.

Comment by Royal Eduardo – January 12, 2011 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is a Superman movie on deck, would DC Entertainment be okay with a TV version of Superman coexisting with their movie version? They put a bunch of restrictions on SV when Superman Returns was in production.

I don’t understand myself. I think people are smart enough to tell the difference between the movie universe and Smallville. But the movie division is notorious in their restrictions, which was the reason they wouldn’t let Smallville introduce Bruce Wayne. Would Geoff Johns sign off on two competing Supermen and Lois Lanes?

This is why I’d be surprised if it was Smallville. But if it is, that would be good news.

Comment by JenSmith – January 12, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping for Smallville over all other shows ending their run this season, simply because it is the only show that I watch that we all knew was coming to an end after this season.

Comment by Greg – January 12, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • in the last 12 months?
    it’s not OTH cus they haven’t announced it as the final season yet.
    there’s the closer, smallville, friday night lights, heroes, and medium.
    i doubt it’s heroes since it was canceled.. but as a series of TV movies or tweaked? sounds like either heroes or smallville.
    anyway, i say whoever it is, should quit the talk. if your show has been gearing towards a finish line, just go there.

Comment by Bee – January 12, 2011 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You guys have to consider the actors of the other shows who have moved on, so yeah I’d love to SGU back but it aint happening actors have already signed up for different parts now.

I’d say its Smallville as well, all the actors are currently not tied up in any other projects. I could see a Metropolis spin off.

I’d kill to see Firefly back but dude c’mon Nathan Fillion is with Castle now. Perhaps its Medium, don’t know if its the Closer, is Dollhouse even possible I think some of the actors have already picked up new jobs. Hmm. Interesting.

Comment by Troy – January 12, 2011 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Law & Order

Comment by LightRain – January 12, 2011 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heroes

Comment by JJ – January 12, 2011 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Er, didn’t they just cancel or announce Desperate Housewives… it might be that?

Comment by Jaclyn – January 12, 2011 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ghost Whisperer

Comment by Tim – January 12, 2011 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With the ghost related references made, I wouldn’t be surprised. The cancellation seemed to come out of nowhere in the first place anyway too.

Comment by Jen – January 12, 2011 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let it be Smallville!! <3

Comment by yesmin – January 12, 2011 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ghost Whisperer. It was cancelled and then there was talks that another network would pick it back up. Everyone was surprised when it was cancelled because it was a high rated show. Please let it be Ghost Whisperer.

Comment by Amy – January 12, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree – Dollhouse! I hope that I am right!

Comment by Matt – January 12, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going with SGU

Comment by Chris – January 12, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You’d have to be a complete moron to think Smallville sucks.

I hope it is Smallville, but with a Metropolis spin-off.

Comment by SMALLVILLE ROCKS. – January 12, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Closer makes a lot of sense to me. I know a lot of people who watch that show and I think it’s ratings are really good for a cable show. I don’t watch it, but I was surprised to hear it was ending.

Comment by Jenny – January 12, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going with Medium. Didn’t Hamlet see ghosts and so did Eliza Dushku’s charachter on tru calling. Also, the title of the article says Dead Drama!!!

Comment by TVfanatic – January 12, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gilmore Girls! ;)

Comment by Grace Papaseraphim – January 12, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This post makes me smile.

Comment by Dirk – January 12, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If God was a relative, I would totally ask that favour!

Comment by Squeegy – January 12, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would rather see friday night lights, medium or smallville back but I really have NO DOUBTS its the closer. Its ending because Kyra Sedgwick wants it to end.

“talks are ongoing behind scenes to extend its run, one way (in its current form) or another (in a tweaked form or even as a series of TV movies”

Gave it away. The rest of the cast wants it to continue (one of the highest rated cable series) and to continue the show in another form- without sedgwick would be a way to make that happen

Comment by mmartian – January 12, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think its the Closer

Comment by Adrian – January 12, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe I’m just inspired by the ads on this page… but could it be Big Love??

Comment by Mandy – January 12, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love it to be Big Love. I don’t want this to be the last season!

Comment by Meg – January 12, 2011 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • or not

Comment by Ariel – March 18, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • testingtestingtesting test

Comment by Ariel – March 18, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dawn Ostroff the lady who runs CW is leaving, I can see the network doing something with Smallville and turning it into a spin-off or a new show/season for Superman alone.
    BUT I hope its the Medium or The Closer. Fingers crossed.

Comment by Brian – January 12, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it The Closer??

Comment by Kat – January 12, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about Flashforward……..it was canceled last may, so w/in the 12 month timeline mentioned. Plus @ the time of the cancelation it was mentioned that Starz may pick up the series. The end of the finale took us years ahead and could make for plenty of Tv movies if not a regular pick up on another station.

Comment by tory – January 12, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brothers and sisters. Big stars big power behind it and easily transforms into tv movies if desired.

Comment by Chris – January 12, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going with one of two:

1) The original “Law & Order”: Dick Wolf said that if he couldn’t get the show back on a regular basis, then he would try to get a farewell tv movie. Maybe the deal is for the show to return since LOLA is crumbling or maybe we can get a series of L&O movies.

2)Smallvile: Personally, I don’t care for it, but it was announced that this was the last season.

Comment by Demetrius – January 12, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Caprica!

Comment by Alex – January 12, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this SCREAMS the original Law and Order. When it was announced last season, there were even talks of doing some TV movies to give the show closure. However, this will not stop me from secretly hoping that it’s actually Greek, even though I know that’s not a logical choice since the decision to end that show was made more from the creator’s end than ABC Family’s end.

Comment by Dirk – January 12, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s likely SV Tom and Peter stated they wanted to do more, to go beyond a 10th season. TW specifically saying never saying never and and did not want the showing ending during the announcement of the Final season even. The ratings surpassed last year’s highest. And TV movie seems to be in the realm of possibilities.

Comment by Nani – January 12, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big Love

Comment by Kate – January 12, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I doubt it is Friday Night Lights. He said it was a hit series.

Comment by Tara – January 12, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s the Closer. I just heard rumblings about this the other day. Glad to see blind items back!!

Comment by Shawna – January 12, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it is Law and Order – Criminal Intent. The original actors: Kathyrn Erbe and Vincent D’nofrio resigned for a couple of episodes. I wouldn’t be surprised if they signed on for another year.

Comment by Zach – January 12, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People, people: it’s either Smallville or 24 – and nothing else.

Comment by Melissa – January 12, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe it’s Dollhouse. Tru Calling was a clue, they both star Eliza Dushku.

Comment by Scott – January 12, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also, is the quote from Hamlet (something’s rotten in the state of Denmark) a clue of some sort? I only watch Smallville out of the shows mentioned, so I don’t know if it would fit for the others? I don’t see how it does for Smallville. It just seems like an odd line to put in a blind item?

Comment by JenSmith – January 12, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • its big love he gives you the clue next two the story.

Comment by don – January 12, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FNL? Why haven’t Connie Britton or Kyle Chandler signed onto new shows? Chandler turned down Terra Nova and Britton turned down The Event…

Comment by CB – January 12, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s big love or ghost whisperer!

Comment by Marie – January 12, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would think Law & Order: Criminal Intent. They announced this upcoming season as their last, But Goren & Eames are returning, which would definitely bring some life back into it, after all the people rallying for them to come back…

Comment by Craig – January 12, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG Please be Smallville! Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment by ANna – January 12, 2011 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’d love love love it to be L&O, but more realistic guesses are
    ~The Closer
    ~Medium
    ~Friday Night Lights (please!!!)
    ~Smallville

Comment by flutiefan – January 12, 2011 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But DAMAGES wasn’t cancelled, and is in fact coming back for a 4th season this summer on DirecTV.

Comment by MockingbirdGirl – January 12, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My inclination is to say CSI: MIAMI. I don’t know if it’s been announced for the final season, but the main character is Horatio… and the “something is rotten” quote from Hamlet is spoken to Horatio.

Comment by MockingbirdGirl – January 12, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post