Blind Item: Which Dead Drama Series is Suddenly Showing a Pulse?

Here’s some news that’ll excite a buncha you… and then frustrate that same bunch, because — sorry! —it comes in the form of a Blind Item: A hit drama series whose final season was announced in the last 12 months may not be ending after all! Know which one yet? I’ll give you some clues…

Though the network told the world that the plug had been pulled, apparently not everyone involved in the show was in agreement about that. In fact, to this day, talks are ongoing behind scenes to extend its run, one way (in its current form) or another (in a tweaked form or even as a series of TV movies).

Sound like something’s rotten in the state of Denmark? Yeah, I’m with ya there.

Another big clue: No, it is not Tru Calling. That was axed ages ago. Let it go!

Your best guesses? Hit the comments section below.

1. It’s Smallville, for sure!

1st – It never dies
    2nd – It sucks

2. Craig says:

While I know a lot of people who’d be happy if it was Smallville, my guess after speaking with my friend Jason is that the show in question is The Closer.

Random, I know.

Smallville, I couldn’t see TV-movies because The CW just isn’t in the TV-movie business, and I’d imagine Warner Bros. would want the flight path cleared for their Man of Steel movie.

3. RikerDonegal says:

Even with all the medical ‘clues’, I’m excited by SJ’s guess that it might be Law & Order.

Please let it be Law & Order!!!

4. Steve says:

The “something rotten in the state of Denmark” comment is what is getting me. It’s a quote from Hamlet. Not sure what the status of Damages is, but Glenn Close did play Queen Gertrude in the Mel Gibson version of Hamlet….

5. xaverie says:

Please be LEGEND OF THE SEEKER.

• Nina says:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES! PLEASE!

It was not even picked up by SyFy though. So chances are slim to nonexistent.

6. Jaclyn says:

Supernatural would be my first desire, coupled with my second, third and fourth… They have yet to state whether this will be the last season or not for SPN, but if a wish could move the pen of tptb, then I wish a signature on a contract renewal for another two seasons or more of Supernatural.

7. nat says:

Dollhouse!!!!!!!!! Joss Whedon!!!!!

8. Royal Eduardo says:

I thought Smallville but Mediumn or The Closer makes more sense. Dante’s Cove would be awesome but most people have never heard of it.

9. JenSmith says:

There is a Superman movie on deck, would DC Entertainment be okay with a TV version of Superman coexisting with their movie version? They put a bunch of restrictions on SV when Superman Returns was in production.

I don’t understand myself. I think people are smart enough to tell the difference between the movie universe and Smallville. But the movie division is notorious in their restrictions, which was the reason they wouldn’t let Smallville introduce Bruce Wayne. Would Geoff Johns sign off on two competing Supermen and Lois Lanes?

This is why I’d be surprised if it was Smallville. But if it is, that would be good news.

10. Greg says:

I’m hoping for Smallville over all other shows ending their run this season, simply because it is the only show that I watch that we all knew was coming to an end after this season.

11. Bee says:

in the last 12 months?
    it’s not OTH cus they haven’t announced it as the final season yet.
    there’s the closer, smallville, friday night lights, heroes, and medium.
    i doubt it’s heroes since it was canceled.. but as a series of TV movies or tweaked? sounds like either heroes or smallville.
    anyway, i say whoever it is, should quit the talk. if your show has been gearing towards a finish line, just go there.

12. Troy says:

You guys have to consider the actors of the other shows who have moved on, so yeah I’d love to SGU back but it aint happening actors have already signed up for different parts now.

I’d say its Smallville as well, all the actors are currently not tied up in any other projects. I could see a Metropolis spin off.

I’d kill to see Firefly back but dude c’mon Nathan Fillion is with Castle now. Perhaps its Medium, don’t know if its the Closer, is Dollhouse even possible I think some of the actors have already picked up new jobs. Hmm. Interesting.

13. LightRain says:

Law & Order

14. Jaclyn says:

Er, didn’t they just cancel or announce Desperate Housewives… it might be that?

15. Tim says:

Ghost Whisperer

• Jen says:

With the ghost related references made, I wouldn’t be surprised. The cancellation seemed to come out of nowhere in the first place anyway too.

16. yesmin says:

Please let it be Smallville!! <3

17. Amy says:

Ghost Whisperer. It was cancelled and then there was talks that another network would pick it back up. Everyone was surprised when it was cancelled because it was a high rated show. Please let it be Ghost Whisperer.

18. Matt says:

I agree – Dollhouse! I hope that I am right!

19. Chris says:

I’m going with SGU

20. SMALLVILLE ROCKS. says:

You’d have to be a complete moron to think Smallville sucks.

I hope it is Smallville, but with a Metropolis spin-off.

21. Jenny says:

The Closer makes a lot of sense to me. I know a lot of people who watch that show and I think it’s ratings are really good for a cable show. I don’t watch it, but I was surprised to hear it was ending.

22. TVfanatic says:

I’m going with Medium. Didn’t Hamlet see ghosts and so did Eliza Dushku’s charachter on tru calling. Also, the title of the article says Dead Drama!!!

23. Grace Papaseraphim says:

Gilmore Girls! ;)

24. mmartian says:

I would rather see friday night lights, medium or smallville back but I really have NO DOUBTS its the closer. Its ending because Kyra Sedgwick wants it to end.

“talks are ongoing behind scenes to extend its run, one way (in its current form) or another (in a tweaked form or even as a series of TV movies”

Gave it away. The rest of the cast wants it to continue (one of the highest rated cable series) and to continue the show in another form- without sedgwick would be a way to make that happen

25. Adrian says:

I think its the Closer

26. Mandy says:

Maybe I’m just inspired by the ads on this page… but could it be Big Love??

27. Brian says:

Dawn Ostroff the lady who runs CW is leaving, I can see the network doing something with Smallville and turning it into a spin-off or a new show/season for Superman alone.
    BUT I hope its the Medium or The Closer. Fingers crossed.

28. Kat says:

Is it The Closer??

29. tory says:

what about Flashforward……..it was canceled last may, so w/in the 12 month timeline mentioned. Plus @ the time of the cancelation it was mentioned that Starz may pick up the series. The end of the finale took us years ahead and could make for plenty of Tv movies if not a regular pick up on another station.

30. Chris says:

Brothers and sisters. Big stars big power behind it and easily transforms into tv movies if desired.

31. Demetrius says:

I’m going with one of two:

1) The original “Law & Order”: Dick Wolf said that if he couldn’t get the show back on a regular basis, then he would try to get a farewell tv movie. Maybe the deal is for the show to return since LOLA is crumbling or maybe we can get a series of L&O movies.

2)Smallvile: Personally, I don’t care for it, but it was announced that this was the last season.

32. Alex says:

How about Caprica!

33. Dirk says:

I think this SCREAMS the original Law and Order. When it was announced last season, there were even talks of doing some TV movies to give the show closure. However, this will not stop me from secretly hoping that it’s actually Greek, even though I know that’s not a logical choice since the decision to end that show was made more from the creator’s end than ABC Family’s end.

34. Nani says:

It’s likely SV Tom and Peter stated they wanted to do more, to go beyond a 10th season. TW specifically saying never saying never and and did not want the showing ending during the announcement of the Final season even. The ratings surpassed last year’s highest. And TV movie seems to be in the realm of possibilities.

35. Kate says:

Big Love

36. Tara says:

I doubt it is Friday Night Lights. He said it was a hit series.

37. Shawna says:

It’s the Closer. I just heard rumblings about this the other day. Glad to see blind items back!!

38. Zach says:

I think it is Law and Order – Criminal Intent. The original actors: Kathyrn Erbe and Vincent D’nofrio resigned for a couple of episodes. I wouldn’t be surprised if they signed on for another year.

39. Melissa says:

People, people: it’s either Smallville or 24 – and nothing else.

40. Scott says:

I believe it’s Dollhouse. Tru Calling was a clue, they both star Eliza Dushku.

41. JenSmith says:

Also, is the quote from Hamlet (something’s rotten in the state of Denmark) a clue of some sort? I only watch Smallville out of the shows mentioned, so I don’t know if it would fit for the others? I don’t see how it does for Smallville. It just seems like an odd line to put in a blind item?

42. don says:

its big love he gives you the clue next two the story.

43. CB says:

FNL? Why haven’t Connie Britton or Kyle Chandler signed onto new shows? Chandler turned down Terra Nova and Britton turned down The Event…

44. Marie says:

I hope it’s big love or ghost whisperer!

45. Craig says:

I would think Law & Order: Criminal Intent. They announced this upcoming season as their last, But Goren & Eames are returning, which would definitely bring some life back into it, after all the people rallying for them to come back…

46. ANna says:

OMG Please be Smallville! Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee

47. flutiefan says:

i’d love love love it to be L&O, but more realistic guesses are
    ~The Closer
    ~Medium
    ~Friday Night Lights (please!!!)
    ~Smallville

48. MockingbirdGirl says:

But DAMAGES wasn’t cancelled, and is in fact coming back for a 4th season this summer on DirecTV.

49. MockingbirdGirl says:

My inclination is to say CSI: MIAMI. I don’t know if it’s been announced for the final season, but the main character is Horatio… and the “something is rotten” quote from Hamlet is spoken to Horatio.