Blind Item: Which Dead Drama Series is Suddenly Showing a Pulse?

Get More: Blind Item, News, Scoop

Here’s some news that’ll excite a buncha you… and then frustrate that same bunch, because — sorry! —it comes in the form of a Blind Item: A hit drama series whose final season was announced in the last 12 months may not be ending after all! Know which one yet? I’ll give you some clues…

Though the network told the world that the plug had been pulled, apparently not everyone involved in the show was in agreement about that. In fact, to this day, talks are ongoing behind scenes to extend its run, one way (in its current form) or another (in a tweaked form or even as a series of TV movies).

Sound like something’s rotten in the state of Denmark? Yeah, I’m with ya there.

Another big clue: No, it is not Tru Calling. That was axed ages ago. Let it go!

Your best guesses? Hit the comments section below.

Comments (665)

• I will go with either The Closer or Smallville.

Comment by Mary – January 15, 2011 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope its Smallville, I love that that show, and I think it would be great if it continued as Metropolis.

Comment by Josh – January 15, 2011 03:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Life Unexpected

Comment by Valerie Adcock – January 15, 2011 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully it’s Smallville. I’d like to see them continue it on a bit, at least enough to spin it off into a Green Arrow series or something. After seeing the Blue Beetle bit, I’m not sure if that’ll work.

Comment by toast – January 15, 2011 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope this is SGU.

Comment by brandon – January 15, 2011 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have a personal interest in it being Smallville!!

Comment by Lisa – January 15, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Better be SGU! Smallville was a good show, but it had 10 whole seasons… SGU is one of the BEST TV shows ever made, and they are trying to cancel it at the end of its second season….

Comment by Ekras – January 15, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heroes?

Comment by lala – January 15, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • EW think it’s ‘Smallville’

Comment by Margaret – January 15, 2011 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Life Unexpected AND Stargate Universe??? :-D

Comment by Cathy – January 15, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I seriously hope it is Life Unexpected! I love that show and I hope they don’t cancel it!

Comment by Maggie – January 15, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone buzz me when there is an answer to this.

Comment by Teresa Conti – January 15, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will go with the CW Smallville . Still the second highest rated
    series for them on a Friday. Nothing matches with Supernatural and they will be afraid to move Vampire Diaries and lose top ratings. They will tweak it to a Superman concept. They will also get cross promotion with the Superman movie.

Comment by Ian – January 15, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man, I wish it were Veronica Mars, but alas nothing ever goes my way :P

Comment by Pall – January 15, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forgot to add. I really hope it’s smallville.

Comment by Pall – January 15, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big Love sounds more logical…

Comment by Gi – January 15, 2011 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Secretly hoping (really long shot) It’s Ugly Betty… I miss that show, the cast was fantastic, and the last season was really, really good. I’d like to see what Betty’s up to in the UK and if she and Daniel worked things out, how Justin’s doing, what Mark and Amanda are up to…

Comment by Sarah – January 15, 2011 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Caprica!

Comment by todd – January 16, 2011 02:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i wish it would be heroes. But he said it was a “hit drama series”.

i see something like the Ghost whisperer coming back. Just because i never watched it

Comment by Pat – January 16, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Heroes was a hit a lot more than Ghost Whisperer ever was.

Comment by Andoni – January 16, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How does this work? When do we know??

Comment by Mo – January 16, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see either Medium or Smallville, but Smallville seems more likely than Medium since they are still promoting the Series Ender for Friday.

When do we find out what it is?

Comment by Rob – January 16, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love it to be life unexpected!!! When do we find out the answer anyway?!

Comment by Abi – January 16, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terriers

Comment by George – January 16, 2011 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish!!! But creator Shawn Ryan has already said that its over.

Comment by V – January 19, 2011 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my God is it Life Unexpected? I sure hope it is; I love that show!

Comment by Natalie Jamie – January 16, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know what constitutes a “hit”, but my first thought was Smallville. I kinda hope it isn’t though, because as much as I love it, it has been on 10 years and I think it is going to end nicely. My other guess would be SGU, simply because the Stargate franchise has a history of releasing movies after the series ends.

Comment by Mikaylah – January 16, 2011 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope its smallville. but my gut tells me its not. will we get a clue in this week ask ausiello?

Comment by joe – January 16, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SGU.

…hopefully. ;)

Comment by Sean D. – January 16, 2011 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it is Smallville the Tru Calling hint could be about Clark fullfilling his t”tru-calling” as Superman. Long shot, yea I know! LOL

Comment by Anna – January 17, 2011 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wished it were Terriers because it was of the best shows of the season but I doubt it is.

Comment by avi01 – January 17, 2011 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So…it’s been a few days. Any more news? Really hoping this is 24 – that with movie plans stalling, Fox is considering giving the show a proper send-off season.

Comment by Guy – January 17, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, can you give us a time frame as to when we’ll know what it is??? I’m dying over here, hoping it’s one of my few favorites (Heroes, 24, Flashforward (really wish it was Life but that was too long ago)) and it would really put me at ease to know when to expect the news to break!

Comment by Laura – January 17, 2011 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE CW; PLEASE WORLD, let it be Smallville!!! I will not be able to go on without my Clois weekly dose!!!

Comment by Manu – January 18, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smallville isn’t finished yet.. According to IMDB.com the next episode will air january 28th..

Comment by Berger – January 19, 2011 12:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s Heroes

Comment by Allison – January 19, 2011 05:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the love of god please let it be Friday Night Lights!!!!!

Comment by andy – January 19, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It has to be The Closer. It would work either way(TV movies on TNT…duh). There’s no clear reason why they’d end a show after a season of stellar ratings.

Comment by Michael – January 19, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pretty sure it’s Law and Order. It is considered a hit drama series.

Comment by Chitown_mimi – January 19, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE BE FNL!!!

Comment by Chicklet – January 19, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ohhh… Please let it be Friday Night Lights!

A little part of me wishes it would be ER. But I doubt that considering the last two seasons weren’t all that great.

Comment by paperskyyy – January 19, 2011 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s either DAMAGES or FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS. Why? Because those shows are worth saving.

Comment by Giuseppe Sallo – January 19, 2011 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MEDIUM?

Comment by deniz – January 20, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t be Smallville, a pathetic show which, due to its appallingly awful ruination of many beloved characters, was never a “hit.”

Perhaps Stargate Universe. That might make sense.

Comment by EarlGrayHot – January 20, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it is Smallville but have a feeling it will be Heroes which is also great.

Comment by Jay – January 21, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It can’t be 24 because we knew well in advance of last season in 2009 that it was ending.

Medium and Ghost Whisperer only worked because they were back to back and obviously Medium struggled mightely on its own this fall and got the axe.

My bets are Heroes or Smallville. Although Smallville really can’t succeed without Lex Luthor so let it be Heroes by a slim margin.

Comment by Matt – January 21, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. But I hope Heroes returns, because Smallville has been a major fail since Rosenbaum left!

Comment by TheFinalWord – January 22, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its 24. Its been revealed by Kiefer himself. 24 is back for the Movie.

Comment by Guy – January 21, 2011 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HEROES!!! It must have a proper end! The characters are great, just fix the storyline that was damaged during the screenwriters strike.
    Heroes, Heroes !!

Comment by Bert – January 22, 2011 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroes *takes breath* HeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroesHeroes

Comment by Erica F – January 23, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • According to tvguide.com, Keifer Sutherland thinks it’s 24.

Comment by Jane – January 23, 2011 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’ the closer with Kyra Sedgwick.

Comment by Patricia Winegard – January 24, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barney Miller!