Blind Item: Which Dead Drama Series is Suddenly Showing a Pulse?

Get More: Blind Item, News, Scoop

Here’s some news that’ll excite a buncha you… and then frustrate that same bunch, because — sorry! —it comes in the form of a Blind Item: A hit drama series whose final season was announced in the last 12 months may not be ending after all! Know which one yet? I’ll give you some clues…

Though the network told the world that the plug had been pulled, apparently not everyone involved in the show was in agreement about that. In fact, to this day, talks are ongoing behind scenes to extend its run, one way (in its current form) or another (in a tweaked form or even as a series of TV movies).

Sound like something’s rotten in the state of Denmark? Yeah, I’m with ya there.

Another big clue: No, it is not Tru Calling. That was axed ages ago. Let it go!

Your best guesses? Hit the comments section below.

Comments (665)

• please be smallville!

Comment by Jordan Green – January 12, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Medium?

Comment by Autumn – January 12, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope it’s Medium. Especially now that her real Brother David will play her brother on the show. (although I like the other actor a lot,and felt that he looked like her brother, more so than her brother)

….and I miss Tru Calling.

Comment by luvprue1 – March 17, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Law & Order: Original Flavor.

Comment by SJ – January 12, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I’m going L&O as well. Or maybe, just maybe, Heroes

Comment by Ryan – January 12, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I definitely wish it was that, but the article implies it implies a show that’s final season is going to or is airing now. Not one that has already aired.

Comment by Madi Garvin – January 12, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Ghost Whisperer. That was within the last year, right? I thought Medium at first too. Or I was thinking the Closer.

Comment by Katrina – January 12, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The show’s been off since LAST season. Think something that was actually shot this season.

Comment by Rowan – January 12, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It has to be The Closer. It was already rumoured back in January that TNT was working on a way to continue the series without Kyra Sedgwick – either without Brenda or as a spinoff with most of the current characters who wanted to keep filming the show.

Comment by Molly – March 21, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh god, not Heroes..

Comment by Peter Freeman – January 12, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol I know right.

Comment by Greg – February 2, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I bet it is Heroes. There was talk about it being concluded in a TV movie a while ago anyway.

Comment by Erin – February 10, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My bet is on Friday Night Lights.

Comment by John – January 12, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have my money on Smallville, I don’t see a Raven series doing well and I know that WB is seeking a replacement show for that demo. I’m hoping with the introduction of Jaime Reyes later this year they can use that as a backdoor pilot for a Blue Beetle series. We will see.

Comment by Lee – January 12, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 24 was within the last year and I am really missing it right now…

Comment by Donovan – January 12, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh, I know. I feel it’s too much to hope for, though.

Comment by Kayla – January 12, 2011 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This better be either Heroes or Stargate Universe.

Comment by Dave – January 12, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish for Stargate (and Ming-Na), but please not heroes!

Comment by DJ – January 12, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was thinking Medium too.

Comment by CarmaLee Thomas – January 12, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Announced its in its last season”
    Easy- its the closer

Comment by mmartian – January 12, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree totally obvious

Comment by forrest – February 7, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smallville. I can’t think of any other shows that have announced this as their final season and I believe that one of the producers publically said over the summer that there was a possibility it could go past this season.

Comment by M – January 12, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Law & Order original OR CI…either way is a big WIN!

Comment by ALP – January 12, 2011 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Law and Order?!?!? That would be so cool!!! I was really hoping for it to make the record for the longest running TV Drama. If it comes back THIS Season then, it would make The Record.

Comment by Celeste Widman – January 12, 2011 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One tree hill?

Comment by Maryanne – January 12, 2011 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OTH has never been announced as canceled.

Comment by Rolfe – January 12, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big Love?

Comment by Meg – January 12, 2011 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE BE LIFE UNEXPECTED! even tho i highly doubt it but i REALLY REALLY hope so!

Comment by loulzb – January 12, 2011 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friday night lights?

Comment by Geraldine – January 12, 2011 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will never let Tru Calling go. Ever.

Comment by Dee – January 12, 2011 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well Smallville announced its last season…and everyone seems pretty on board with it being the end. But I’d really extremely love if this was your way of saying that a Smallville movie is in the future!

Comment by Alex – January 12, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Firefly!

You did say within the last 12 years, right?

Comment by brinderwalt – January 12, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was SHINY, bringderwalt!!!

Comment by Luminosity – January 12, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was thinking My-So-Called Life.

Comment by Rolfe – January 12, 2011 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • OMG. Don’t tease me like that…

Jordan Catalano – Swoon… :)

Comment by mustachioedlady – April 4, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping Smallville!!

P.S. when will this blind item be revealed?

Comment by Aly – January 12, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully not Smallville. Tom Welling said this was his last season. Let the poor man rest.

Comment by Cyn – January 12, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d say its Smallville, going into a full blown Supes show but I dont know much about that show so I don’t know, but Geoffs the head hancho over at DC so it wouldn’t surprise me. Anyways I’m hoping its Stargate Universe, it will make my year if it comes back, please please make it happen.

Comment by Jason – January 12, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing it is SGU. But then again, it was never a hit…

Comment by The Wraith Lover – January 12, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RUBICON

Comment by Lazyeye – January 12, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is no one guessing Friday Night Lights? Or am I the only one holding out hope for that one? Or is the Tru Calling mention telling us that it’s Dollhouse? Either way I’d be thrilled.

Comment by Nate – January 12, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stargate Universe! It could do made-for-tv-movies like SG-1, or get picked up by the SPACE network in Canada.

Comment by Nelle – January 12, 2011 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too curious…could be Life Unexpected or Heroes

Comment by Jessica – January 12, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Firefly, obviously!

(No, I’m kidding obvi. I actually didn’t even watch it :P)

Serious guess: Rubicon? (Reference to Denmark in the item, and the new AMC show The Killing is based off a Danish show)

Comment by David – January 12, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, scratch that. Rubicon was a one-season wonder and “final season” makes it sound like something that has been around. I agree with the person who guessed The Closer then.

Comment by David – January 12, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Medium, Flashforward, CI, -Dark Blue? Would it be too much to hope for that maybe Firefly, Buffy, and Stargate Atlantis are coming back, but you said drama right? Not Sci fi.

Comment by Jaclyn – January 12, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dollhouse! That’s why the Tru Calling hint!

Comment by Jennie – January 12, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smallville or Supernatural. It was announced that this would be the last season for both, and both have made noises about coming back. As much as I would like to see Heroes back, it is canceled, not on its last season.

Comment by Isa – January 12, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, not Supernatural. No one said that this season was supposed to be its last. That was last year (season 5), but even then Eric Kripke left it open, closing that storyline and begining a new one.

But now, in its 6th season, Sera Gamble never said that this was the last one, the very opposite. The lead actors are also signed for another season, which I hope it’ll happen!

Comment by Shaula – January 12, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope it is The Closer!

Comment by Lisa – January 12, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re right, that would be so great. On the other hand I never heard anyone mention a tv movie.

Comment by Astrid – February 11, 2011 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s Medium, or Big Love!!

Comment by Mo – January 12, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope not Big Love. They’ve been saying they’re going out strong this year and I want that rather than for things to get too convoluted.

Comment by April – January 12, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let it be Friday Night Lights!!!

Comment by SiouxieSioux – January 12, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be great, but Zach Gilford spoke at TCA about the series finale so I doubt it.

Comment by David – January 12, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate to say Smallville because I think it should be dead after this season. Didn’t the CW do this before with Seventh Heaven, announcing the final season and then bringing it back again?

Comment by Linda – January 12, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s gotta be Smallville. Tom Welling already said he’d be willing to go for season 11.

Comment by irg19 – January 12, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love Smallville, and would watch it if it came back – but i don’t see that happening. so the next best thing would be Friday Night Lights!

Comment by amanduhwood – January 12, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I bet on Supernatural or Smallville.

Comment by Mariana – January 12, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This season of Supernatural has never been billed as its last.

Comment by Jo – January 12, 2011 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love for it to Smallville – and that’s the only show I can think of right now that had a formal ‘final season’ announcement. I’d love more seasons of Medium too, but wasn’t Medium canceled a few months into its current season? It was never announced as its final season.

Comment by Jo – January 12, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since it was “announced in the last 12 months” it must be Smallville.

Comment by Shelly F. – January 12, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um was there only 1 show announced in the last 12 months? I didn’t think so. Greek, Friday Night Lights, Big Love, and The Closer were also announced in the last 12 months.

Comment by Kris – February 10, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smallville?

Comment by Nic – January 12, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping it’s The Closer because I think another year would be awesome, but fear it’s the never-ending Smallville. My impossible wish is that they were talking about Terriers, but, sadly, that brilliant show is done.

Comment by Rowan – January 12, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s The Closer.

Comment by Zilly – January 12, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh gawd i really want it to me Smallville!!! Metropolis here we come!!!

Comment by jess – January 12, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I doubt it’s gonna be a show already cancelled… It’d be hard to get actors and crew back once contracts have expired and people have new jobs…

My guess would be Big Love. There’s all those rumours of a twist right at the end of the season… Might the producers have been laying the groundwork for another year?

I could see The CW trying to keep Smallville around but I dont think they could afford to. Cast alone would be a massive drain, especially with Welling being in his 11th year… Then you’ve got effects budgets etc, and while it does okay on Fridays it’s not exactly doing gangbusters these days!!

Comment by Patrick – January 12, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lie to me, has to be!

Comment by kelly – January 12, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terriers? Please?

Comment by Daniel – January 12, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wouldn’t that be great? It’d be really great.

But my serious guess is that it’s The Closer.

Comment by Cheryl – January 12, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Its not “shows that have been canceled” its “shows that have announced its their final season” So shows that actually planned to end.

Comment by Kris – February 10, 2011 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Closer, end of story. You Smallville people are crazy.

Comment by Jim – January 12, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post