So You Think You Can Dance! Mary Murphy!! Returns!!!

The Hot Tamale Train is back in the station, people!

After a wonky seventh season, So You Think You Can Dance is returning to its roots, starting with the (re)addition of Mary Murphy as judge.

“I am thrilled and already dancing in my seat to be back as a permanent judge this season, which I’m sure will be the best ever,” gushes Murphy.

Idol, schmidol. Executive producer and co-creator Nigel Lythgoe is back in the judges seat, too, and just as thrilled to have the fan fave back on SYTYCD.

“I am delighted to have Mary back on the show,” says Lythgoe. “Her expertise in dance, coupled with her warmth, compassion and humor, make her an excellent judge and fun to work with.”

Auditions for the eighth season of SYTYCD are underway now, with upcoming stops in Salt Lake City, Los Angeles and Charlotte, North Carolina.

How excited are you to hear see Mary Murphy back on SYTYCD? Sound off in the comments!

1. marie says:

I’m so glad to see her back. i didn’t really watch last season but i’m seriously thinking of going back watching it!!! love mary Murphy!!

2. Sarah El says:

Maybe if she actually does some judging, which she has managed to do pretty well in the past (sometimes) rather than being the continual joke of screaming and hot tamale-training and bad fake-outs (most of the time).

Honestly, I thought Toni Redpath was one of the best guest judges last season, not to mention she also covers the ballroom ground. I’d love for her to come back and judge more. Would it be too much to ask that she were the third judge rather than Mary?

• Sarah El says:

To be honest, I’ll be more excited to see a Top 20 come back complete with dream-team pairings. And just to have SYTYCD back in general. :)

• Kate says:

I would definitely not be up for that! As much as I hate Mary’s shrieking I thought Toni was a huge diva. Surely there’s got to be a third option!

• sarare says:

woww…that’s right. My boyfriend thinks the same as I do. He is eight years older than me, lol. We met online at agelessdates.c“om a nice and free place for younger women and
      older men, or older women and younger men, to interact with each other. Maybe you wanna check out or tell your friends.

3. Entertainment2u-Twitter says:

Glad she is back. I know she is loud and annoying — but somehow it worked.

4. sunny says:

Woohoo!!!! Missed Murphy and her HotTamale Train last year.

5. Marcel says:

Am glad she’s back as well. Show should go back to Mary and Nigel and the rotating guest judges.

6. Freddie says:

She may be loud and annoying, but it’ll be a relief to have someone bring a non-contemporary perspective to the table.

The other judges all bring something to the table and I’m not trying to diminish that, but the only one who may be an expert at a genre that isn’t contemporary is Adam Shankman, and that’s only if making the You Got Served movies gave him hip hop expertise.

7. J says:

Yes!!!! I’ve missed her energy at the judging table. One thing that felt lacking last season was Mary’s enthusiasm and genuine concern for the dancers.

8. Mitch says:

That’s reason enough not to watch. She is an annoyance. The way she screams makes me want to reach through the television set and knock her upside the head. Thank goodness there are hundreds of other channels that can be watched when this show is on, because I certainly won’t be tuning in.

9. Rolfe says:

Let the headaches begin.

10. Jeff says:

I’m happy she’s coming back but would be even happier if they got rid of that annoying Adam Shankman. I can’t stand him at ALL. Plus, I miss having a rotating judge every week. It always brings in a new perspective that has been seriously lacking the last couple of seasons.

11. EveatEden says:

Depends on what this means for the other judges. Are we having 4 permanents now? Is Mia or Adam leaving? Will there be any rotating judges? Are we doing the all star format or not? So many questions, so little answers here :(.

12. Brock says:

Thank God she’s back/ I LOVE her and would happily accept her over Mia any day of the week. She was missed so very much last season!

13. Tia says:

Can the old stage come back too?

14. Richard says:

Doesn’t matter, I fastforward through all the judges’ comments. I prefer to decide what I like.

15. Tim says:

So glad she’s back and Mia’s gone. Counting the hours til the Hot Tamale Train leaves the station.

16. Jason says:

Freakiest smile in all of Hollywood. I wouldn’t sit thru an episode of this schlock for anything.

Murphy and Nigel….are you trying to make me sick before lunch?!

17. I love this headline Meggo. XOXO

18. KevyB says:

I like Mary when she actually judges. To me, “hot tamale train” is NOT judging. And I’m tired of hearing how beautiful the women always are. This isn’t Miss America. That was the worst part of Mia’s judging. It was mostly about the dancer’s personalities and rarely about skills. I want to hear that they aren’t pointing their toes or standing straight or extending properly, something Adam is good at. And Mary is good at, when it comes to the ballroom. Personally, I’d like to see the Aussie ballroom guy judging. I thought he was quite good last year.

19. Beverly DAvis says:

I am so HAPPY that Mary will be returning!!!!!!!! I don’t know why she left in the first place. Last season SUCKED! The whole setup was crazy. I would like to see the three original judges perform like they did in the earlier seasons. WELCOME BACK MARY!!!!!!
    LOL

20. RICHARD says:

She’s an ugly loud mouthed skank….

21. poetry says:

Im glad Mary is coming back as a perm. Her loud talking and shrieking i got used to. I prefer Mia as a rotating judge. I just hope they go back to the old format of the show teaming up with past contestants to dance with was not good for me. I only watched a few episodes then stopped watching last season after Vegas week.

22. huge fan says:

I am very glad that Mary is back. She is loud, but she realy cares for the dancers and is not so devastating with the comments. I also hope that they continue with the rotating judges. It gives the show “new blood”.

23. patric grace says:

Dear God i wish you would hire a new MC i just can’t stand her any more,nothing personal,other then i can’t understand half of what she is saiyng,and she use’s her accent to healt(she think’s she’s cool.I don’t enjoy the show as much as i once did,it’s streesful listening to her,i have a head ache when the show is over.My god there are soooo many people(from america maybe)that could be great MC”S.Peace

24. Rosi says:

IN SPITE OF ALL HER MAJOR RECONSTRUCTION TRYING TO BE MORE
    APPEALING, MARY STILL SOUND LIKE A FIRE ENGINE SIREN ON
    DISTESS CALL.

25. Patti says:

You are crazy!! Cat is funny warm genuine…and love to see her hair and outfits. The perfect hostess!! Ryan who????