Exclusive: Fringe On Fridays Will Be A Fringe 'Unhinged,' Says J.J. Abrams

Fringe‘s move to Fridays, which takes hold on January 21, is looking more and more like a really terrific thing.

Not only has Fox been promoting the heck out of the time-slot change, but Fringe‘s new “under the radar” home apparently has opened the door for even freakier storytelling.

Noting that Fox “has always been pretty cool” about letting Fringe push the envelope, series creator J.J. Abrams tells TVLine that said envelope’s seams have achieved outrageous new levels of elasticity.

“When we made the move and [executive producers] Joe [Chappelle] and Jeff [Pinker] started pitching stuff, we thought, ‘Well, this will probably get a little pushback,'” Abrams shares. “But they [at Fox] were like, ‘OK, sounds good!'”

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Glee, Fringe and More!

J.J. didn’t want to spoil what’s to come during the back half of this season by detailing any of the especially “out there” fare. Instead, he vaguely spoke of “visual things” that “if I had done in a film, the PG-13 rating would have been taken from us.”

Fox, however — as touted in the promos — apparently looks forward to its Fridays being freaky. “They have been amazingly and gloriously lenient in what were able to do,” Abrams reports. “It feels like unbridled, unhinged Fringe.”

Exclusive: Fringe Spoilers, But There’s a Twist…

Fox entertainment chief Kevin Reilly indicated as much speaking to the Television Critics Association winter press tour on Tuesday, saying the Fringe creative team should be feeling “really liberated” in its new time slot. “I think now they can say, ‘You know what? We are playing to our fans — [but are] happy to take anyone new that wants to get on board.”

Are you looking forward to Fringe “unhinged”?

1. SuperChic says:

This sounds promising. Although I wonder about it being on Friday nights, I hope the fans will really tune in.

2. Gord says:

Love the show will follow it to any time slot.

3. Bartleby1945 says:

Even before I read this…

…I knew this meant trouble. I never doubted the originality and creativity of “Fringe,” but Friday at 9:00? You might as well run it on Sunday Mornings. I guess in the age of DVR’s it doesn’t matter as much, but it still matters. This is a high-quality show, well written and well acted. It deserves better.

4. Melissa says:

I hope Fans will Follow fringe to the 9pm time slot, I know that I will!

5. Peggy says:

Love Fringe. I have to record it whether It’s on Friday or any other night, but I will be watching. It’s the best show in a long time.

6. AshleeDee says:

Lets make sure it gets another season! Fringe fans unite!!!

7. AC says:

This is the first I’ve heard about the new time slot….not sure how much promoting they have been doing…maybe they should promote outside of Fox…I ONLY WATCH FOX when watching fringe

8. Ally says:

Fringe fans will watch Fringe — even if they put it on the Weather Channel. Fringe is one of the few shows on tv that is “smart.” It makes you go, “hmmmmm.”

9. Alex says:

Hey people, since I’m a dumb european can somebody explain me how the hell is fringe airing at 9 pm interfering with your friday night out? C’mon it’s a 42 minutes delay, your night is still there!! I usually never get out on friday before 10 pm, not even for a movie (that air usually from 10.30 pm on). Galactica fans did it, every damn friday, it was a cult, can’t believe fringe audience is so little motivated

10. John Berggren says:

I wish Nielsen would start tracking every cable box – or some industrious kid like Zuckerberg would write an app that would do so and put Nielsen out of business.

11. Pamela says:

Yes IM looking forward 2 Fringe. “unhinged” I love fringe and if by moving it 2 fridays its going 2 be better then okay IM there! Won’t miss and episode! We love u Fringe! And we love J.J abrahams!:)

12. david says:

I watch the Friday night fringe it was great.I will be watching the show as long as FOX has it