Breaking News: Fox Comedy Has Big Plans For Smallville Vet Michael Rosenbaum

While Smallville viewers continue to hope that Michael Rosenbaum will reprise the role of Lex Luthor sometime before the CW series signs off forever, there’s good news nonetheless for Rosie’s biggest fans.

TVLine has confirmed that the midseason Fox comedy Breaking In has big plans for Rosenbaum’s character, a crafty peddler of “clean urine” who figures into a potential romantic triangle with the top-shelf computer hackers played by Odette Yustman (Brothers & Sisters) and Bret Harrison (V).

Though not a series regular, Rosenbaum “will probably do at least these six [episodes] that we’re doing [beyond the pilot],” Breaking In exec producer Doug Robinson told me on Tuesday at the TCA winter press tour.

The Smallville alum made quite the impression on the Breaking In team with his cameo in the season premiere. Yustman touted her on-screen beau as a “genius” during the show’s TCA panel, while Robinson called the actor “great.”

In fact, with production on the next six episodes set to start in late February in Los Angeles, Robinson said, “We’re thinking about bringing Dutch into the office and making him a part of the team [fronted by Christian Slater], and maybe play out that triangle a little bit more.”

The silver lining for Smallville fans? Though Rosie has yet to sign off on an encore, sources tell me the show continues to pursue him.

Fox’s Breaking In premieres Wednesday, April 6.

1. melokesm says:

good actor, but boo on probably not coming back to Smallville.

• j says:

Oh yah he’s coming back to Smallville, they couldn’t do it w/o him. I am super excited to see him in another show though it’s only going to be for 7 episodes.

• KFalcon77 says:

U-verse doesn’t carry the WB in my city so I have missed the entire final season so I won’t even see the finale until it hits blu-ray. I would love to be rewarded with a MR return. But, alas, if he doesn’t I’m not going to hate the guy.

2. James says:

what a turd if he doesnt come back to Smallville for one episode, the show that MADE him

3. Nerwen Aldarion says:

I’m still hoping and praying that Michael comes back for at least the final episode of Smallville…please please pretty please come back!

4. irg19 says:

Great misleading tweet

• cormac says:

yea thats what i was wondering.?? sure Michael tweeted a couple of days ago that he hadent discussed anything with the smallville bosses yet

5. Dillan says:

Really should come back to Smallville for the series finale.

His career is going to be forever tainted if he doesn’t.

6. Tyson says:

If Rosenbaum doesn’t return for at least the series finale, I couldn’t care less about anything else he will appear in. To not go back for the series that made you is disrespectful. If George Clooney can return for ER then Rosenbaum can do it for Smallville. Respect and honor the show that took a chance with you.

• Stephanie says:

I completely agree.
      Perhaps there was a personal fallout between MR and someone on the show.
      Regardless, you’d think he’d have more respect for the fans.

If George Clooney, who, unlike MR, is a household, mega movie start (even if I’m not a fan,heh) name with most likely a busy schedule, can go back to the show that propelled him into stardom, than, as Tyson wrote, MR should not have a problem doing the same.

It’s disappointing that MR just won’t come back. I mean, Smallville is not exactly a brilliant show. It’s had ups and downs…never has it been consistent.
      And while I know one person said “an actor’s role makes the show” I have agree, but let us not forget it’s the show people are watching. The fanbase can make or break it. So MR should not come back for the show, rather for the fans.

Honestly, I kind of think it all comes down to his hair. No joke, I’ve read and seen many interviews where MR sort of complain of having to shave his head. …so maybe he doesn’t want to go through that again for one episode? hehe.

• heather says:

it’s michaels CHOICE on if he will return to smallville or not. lay off, if he wants to move on let him. and he looks WAY better WITH hair.

7. V says:

I miss Lex!!

8. Alex says:

He wouldn’t be where he is today without Smallville. The least he can do is show up for an episode.

9. Darth Clavie says:

He looks good with hair! YAY! for him. I always liked him in Smallville.

10. dee123 says:

Completely agree! maybe Rosenbaum doesn’t have the loyalty to Smallville the way Clooney had to ER.

11. wOW. says:

Why not come back to Smallville? I absolutely love the guy. But I hate him at the same time. i want to love him. I’m just asking for one appearance..

NO NEED TO SHAVE YOUR HEAD! The producers will give you a bald cap! Please.. oh please just come back ONCE! i beg of you.

12. mgb says:

He’s a gifted comedian also. See the movie “Sorority Boys” if you’ve never watched it before. It’s hilarious, and he makes a beautiful girl. He definitely should appear in Smallville at least once though. Maybe he can view it as a tribute to his talent that everyone loves him enough to want him so badly.

13. Jen says:

I don’t blame Michael Rosenbaum if he doesn’t return to Smallville. In fact, I’ll lose most of my respect for him if he returns to such a crappy show just for money. Why would he want to return to a show that treated his character so poorly with the excuse that Lex Luthor was the ‘villain’ anyway, so what did it matter? I love the character of Lex, but I haven’t watched Smallville since the episode ‘Arctic’ in which his confrontation with that scumbag Clark Kent was stuffed into the last three or four minutes of the show, despite the years of buildup. I thought that glorious scene in which he brought down the Fortress on top of Clark’s head was a fitting end to the series, and nothing Clark has done since has convinced me otherwise.

• Amy Leigh says:

Honestly, I haven’t really liked Smallville since Michael left. I remember at Dragon Con a few years ago he held a panel all by himself and he was absolutely hilarious and wonderful. Even then though he didn’t sound like he EVER wanted to go back to Smallville. He kind of felt like he’d moved on and wasn’t sure that he would ever reprise the role of Lex even if the series was coming to an end. Although, if Chloe and Lex were both in the series finale, I’d probably watch it.

• Dan says:

wow youre angry :)

14. Mikaylah says:

He wanted to (and has time to) do SIX episodes of this show, but isn’t confirmed to return to Smallville?? I hope they are keeping it under-wraps, and he will at least be glimpsed in the finale.

15. Sadie says:

Smallville cannot end without Lex. Period. It’s time for the producers to settle this deal, get MR on a plane to Vancouver, and finally let Lex save us from the travesty this show has become (an hourlong crapfest revolving around Erica Durance’s breast implants and crappy acting ability, with occasional guest appearances by Tom Welling and Justin Hartley’s abs and respective crappy acting abilities).

16. Jason says:

It’s like this, Mike and Michael: IF ROSENBAUM DISSES THE SMALLVILLE FANBASE TO THE POINT IN WHICH HE WON’T MAKE EVEN ONE APPEARANCE IN THIS FINALE SEASON, I will never care to see his mug on anything ever again. Careers are fragile, bub. It’s best not to bite the hand that made *your* career. Without Smallville, the world doesn’t even know who M.R. is.

17. onebigfatlie says:

WOW,,,, WOW, I cant believe the comments on how MR SHOULD make a duty or become a martyr for Smallville, the show that made him???? I am sorry, but I thought that the actors and how much their role makes the show and not the other way around!!!!

dont be harsh on the guy, the show is NOTHING like the one he used to star in, so why come back and act as if nothing happened before and start all over again, a.k.a, pimping clois and prove their fanatics that the show did great when disrespecting what the original cast offered and did to maintain the show for YEARS yet they are the ones who HAVE to go back and act like they ought it to the show?

the show is the one that needs MR, because every other villain proved to FAIL in conveying evilness like he does, so if anything you should be kissing his butt not attacking him, if you want him back! you show respect if you want him to show your ALMIGHTY respect!!?!!

18. side3 says:

It seems like, given the ‘clone’ story line, that he could make an appearance AND keep his hair.

• Zahadum says:

Brilliant and valid point, but so much of the character’s pathos is tied into that traumatic childhood baldness. I have tried being mad at MR, but he does go to fan events, so he does respect the fans. He will have to live with his decision, and we should support the producers because these last few months will be very tough and emotional for them, trying to please everyone.

19. Jen says:

Why does Michael Rosenbaum ‘owe’ it to the Smallville fans to come back and save a show that died years ago? It’s not his fault the show is crappy. He stayed several years past the five years he’d originally been contracted for. He did his best to keep the original character of Lex Luthor alive for years after the producers turned him into a cardboard villain. He turned in a stellar performance in his last episode, ‘Arctic’, despite the fact he was only afforded 3-4 minutes to do so, so that more time could be given to Clark moaning and sobbing over Lana. None of this was his fault. The producers, including Tom Welling, wanted to make Lex Luthor into that cardboard villain, so that TW’s Clark Kent would look more like a hero, instead of the stupid, ethically challenged character he’d become. Instead of improving the character of Clark, they diminished the character of Lex. None of this was MR’s fault. So I don’t think people should blame him, and expect him to ‘save the show’.

• Jen you are an absolute idiot. For one, Lex’s character was/is crucial to Smallville. Even some of the earlier episodes foreshadowed other episodes that never happened because he left the show. All the character’s complimented eachother. That is what made it such an excellent series. Second, the reason why Michael Rosenbaum only played 3-4 minutes in the “Artic” episode is because he was directing it. “Artic” was the only episode that Rosenbaum directed for Smallville. And Thirdly, what kind of character do you think Lex was suppost to be? Traditionally, he was a villian to Superman, and his arch rival/nemesis in the comics. So the comment you stated about the producers turning him into a “cardboard villian” is a naive remark on your part. I know this much, when I found out he left the show, it just wasn’t the same at all. And it had nothing to do with the other characters acting abilities. It just ruined the show because of the plot they had built up since day one.

20. robert says:

i think it would be wrong and stupid if Michael does not come back. Its the last season he should at least make an episode or two. if not, i will hate him forever

21. robert says:

i will forever hate michael if he don’t make it back for smallville’s last season. just one or two episodes dude

22. Tasha says:

I don’t think that MR owes it to anyone to do anything. If some are fans enough of the show and not enough of him to never watch him again, so be it. Although, if you really are a fan of the show more than MR, then I don’t fault you if you choose not to watch him in anything ever again. I mean, you don’t owe him anything either.

I think it would be great if they could get him into at least the last one or two episodes, as the whole Clark Kent story seemed to revolve around his “relationship” with Lex Luthor more than any ONE other character/situation, at least from what I remember. The show will definitely be lacking something if he isn’t there, but that’s the chance they took when they wrote him off the show, or wrote his character to the point where he wanted to go.

And I agree with some previous posters: he’s one of the rare people in this world that actually look FABULOUS bald!

23. Jen says:

MR does look fantastic bald. :-)))

If the show had been honest and fair with the character of Lex, as well as with Clark, and had given Lex a chance to tell Clark about his issues with his behaviour, as much as they gave Clark endless opportunities to spout off to Lex about his own issues, and if they hadn’t cut Lex down to a cardboard villain, and if they hadn’t allowed — indeed, encouraged — everyone and his dog to abuse Lex, and on and on… In other words, if Smallville had stayed a good show, and MR had left… THEN I’d be hoping MR would return.

As it is, all they’ll do is continue to abuse the character, in order to make Clark look better by comparison. That was revealed by Tom Welling’s comment that Clark couldn’t become Superman without Lex Luthor to react to. In other words, Lex only exists so that Clark can become Superman by beating him up! This is all wrong. Lex Luthor on Smallville was given a rich back story, and a remarkable character all his own. He deserves better.

24. Turtle says:

I’m so excited to see Breaking In! I watched a trailer based on good word of mouth, and was so surprised to see Michael Rosenbaum. The show looks good, so I’ll definitely watch.

Rosenbaum tweeted yesterday that he actually hasn’t been in contact with Smallville’s producers in a long time, so he apparently is NOT in talks to return. I for one am glad to hear it. The show is a joke now, and doesn’t resemble the Superman-in-training show it was when it was still a hit. Now it’s all Lois and Clark/Lois melodrama. And for all of you people bashing him for not going back, the guy was on the show for SEVEN YEARS. He doesn’t owe you guys anything.

25. Lynn says:

So Rosenbaum will do a cameo for a show, that will no doubt be cancelled, but not come back to Smallville………..BOOOOOOO!!!!!!

26. lee says:

Smallville MADE HIM! He should come back for at least the finale. If not, screw him, I say just get the guy who played the older clone in “Lazarus”, he was great in his own right (another clone, mutation?). An older Lex seems better to me anyway.

27. Mark says:

This year, a show I have watched for a decade will be over. And although I have stayed a loyal fan. It leaves me with some regrets.

I started watching Smallville with the understanding that this show was not going to follow any story line.
    It was, and is it’s own deal.

My biggest regret is how Lex Luthor, Played by Michael Rosenbuam has been treated.
    This guy was amazing as Lex.  At times you really became upset with Clark Kent, (played by Tom Welling), for being a ass to him.

Michael’s part in this show, was really done wrong. Lex Luthor was Supermans greatest enemy. The writers did NOT give Lex/Michael the respect he deserved.

As it stands, I will be upset if Michael doesn’t return for one last show. BUT I will understand. Killing off the part of Lex is what killed the show…
    It has become a Lois and Clark show. Not the Training of The Man Of Steel.

28. Nicole says:

Michael needs to come back for at least 1 episode…he’s the only person in the whole world who can play Lex on “Smallvill”, and even Tom Welling said that it would be a great way to get Clark to become Superman if Lex came back!!
    also, Michael said that Lex is an important character, and that he would consider it, but he just needs to “iron out details”
    Tom has gotten everyone to come back (Martha, Jonathan, Lana, Lionel, etc), we just need HIM!!! lol

29. Jen says:

Tom Welling said that Clark needed Lex to turn into Superman. This just shows, IMO, what a complete failure his version of Superman is. He’s had super powers since he landed on Earth two decades ago. His parents were supposed to be exactly the right people to raise a hero — so moral and just, we’re told, over and over. People have always told Clark that he’s Destined to be Earth’s Greatest Hero. He was even sent to the future so he could see that everything was wonderful in his life, and that he had Lois Lane to take care of him — his wonderful soulmate Lois, who. we’re told, is perfect for him.

However, none of this is enough. He needs Lex to kick around some more. He needs Lex to beat up and scream ‘Evil!’ at, before he can be Superman. He needs Lex, who had none of the love he got, none of the support. He can’t be Superman, unless he has this one ‘villain’ to hate. As if Zod and his crew weren’t enough… but of course they weren’t. What was I thinking? Zod wasn’t downtrodden and abused enough to make Clark feel super. He needs Lex for that.

• Do you even know the history of the Superman stories? You obviously don’t. And another thing, isn’t that what you normally would do to your arch rival is kick them around, and beat them up as you stated in your previous post? The directors of the show had to alter everything when MR left the show. And considering the situation they were left in, with no Lex Luthor around; I think they did a superb job of keeping the show going. Maybe a little to much drama, but it was entertaining. You have no idea at all what you are talking about. Each remark you make, just show’s how ignorant you really are. What a joke.

30. Tom says:

Not 100% believing this but a woman I know works on the show (not sure what she does). She told me Rosenbaum was coming back. Huge fan of the show; I hope she was right.

31. Charity says:

If his role is completed why need him back

32. Robert says:

Come 0n Lex Luthor, if you don’t come back Michael Rosenbaum, than you have made mad and dissappointed millions and millions of Smallville Fans around the world. If you don’t come back LEX LUTHOR, just for 1 epsiode i myself would loose great respect and liking of you!!!!
    Please make Smallville seasion 10 go out compleete and witha bang.

33. Shawn says:

I think Lex should come back, Clark kent had alot of learning to do after the 7th season, this is why they did not end it, he went through training or did you guys get that, i think it may have went over top there for a few of you, He is finally going to become superman, and maybe just maybe they will continue smallville as something else it will not be called smallville anymore.. and as for Jen, she totally stopped watching it so do not listen to faulse listings such as..they should have stooped it at the 7th season, there was to much to let go there… they couldnt stop it there..I think rosnebuogh will be back for a final showing. this show MADE him.. PERIOD

34. Lauren says:

Aw, Michael! Please, there’s no season Smallville finale without Lex Luthor. Without YOU. Tom isn’t the only thing Smallville needs, it’s like a puzzle or something. And you’re one of those big important pieces. And if you didn’t come back, well Lucas Grabeel is our only hope. :p You are the perfect Lex and Smallville NEEDS a Lex… the 2-hour season finale… oh well, it would be horrible if there is no Lex.

35. Michelle says:

If Michael doesn’t come back, the finale and show will be a complete failure, and it will be all over the news for its fail. :(

36. emmanuel obeng akotua says:

Smallville hasn’t been the same without michael. I so so glad he’s coming back to wrap it all up.yay!