Are Fringe and Lie to Me in Jeopardy?

Get More: News, Scoop

Fringe and Lie to Me are not doomed. That was the big takeaway from the Fox exec session today at the TCA Press Tour.

Regarding Lie to Me, network president Kevin Reilly called the decision not to order additional episodes this season “a needs thing,” adding, “We’ve got a lot of midseason shows that we’re rolling out and we just have to get a little deeper into the spring and size everything up [before deciding on another season]… We’d like to believe there’s [a future] for Lie to Me. It delivers a very loyal audience wherever we put it.”

Reilly also cautioned against delivering last rites to Friday-bound Fringe. “I beg you not to write the eulogy prematurely,” he begged. “It’s a show we’re very passionate about. I want the audience to transfer to Friday. I would be heartbroken if it went away. But if the fans stick with us the show could be on the air for many years.”

Other highlights from today’s Fox exec presser:

* Lone Star‘s demise “was a real bummer,” acknowledged Reilly. Added Fox chairman Peter Rice: “The truth is it failed to meet the [ratings] expectations that we had. [But] I would much prefer to fail with a show we’re creatively proud of than fail with a show that we’re embarrassed of.” (Somewhere Quintuplets‘ ears are burning.)

* Failed freshman comedy Running Wilde took too long to find its creative sea legs, said Reilly. “The show [eventually] found itself,” he added, “but it was too little too late.”

* Reilly anticipates that veteran hits Bones and House will return next season, but there’s a fair amount of deal-making that needs to happen first.

Thoughts? Still worried about Fringe and Lie to Me? And let’s play the Sophie’s Choice card: If it came down to a choice between the two, which one would you save? Cast your votes below!

Comments (127)

• I really hope the Fringe audience does follow it to Fridays. It would be a shame to lose it, especially now that it’s on such a roll creatively

Comment by Ben Phelps – January 11, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am with you! I love Fringe! I would be very sad if it ended with so many unanswered questions…

Comment by Molly – January 11, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anything on the status of Human Target? Or is it pretty much a foregone conclusion that this season will be it?

Comment by Brian – January 11, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I’ll definitely be keeping my fingers crossed for the months to come! Can’t imagine loosing Fringe when it’s just getting better and better week after week!

Comment by Swisskev78 – January 11, 2011 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not Fringe please…this show is really a good one that basically real with the science and characters.Just make Fringe keep going on…even if Peter ends up with Altlivia.

Comment by kuma – March 27, 2011 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Fringe!

Comment by Sarah – January 11, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But wasn’t Bones picked up for more seasons past this one already? What’s this “deal making” bit about?

Comment by TheOtherYvonne – January 11, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please FOX renew fringe, whats wrong with this network??

Fringe is the best show on TV, of course the audience its gonna follow them anywhere, to anytime, please renew it already

Comment by Darkside – January 11, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They seem very invested in Fringe.

It’s a good sign, I can’t see such a loyal audience not following it to Friday’s.

Comment by Jamie – January 11, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope that the Fringe audience moves to Friday! Any clue on why they moved the show to Friday?! It always seems to be such a kiss of death when they move a show.

Please everyone! Watch with me on Fridays! :)

Comment by Full of Hope for Fringe!! – January 11, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not a secret… Every year when American Idol rolls out for the season everything else gets moved around… Fringe just drew the Friday slot… Hopefully it will fare better then Firefly… John Doe… Dark Angel… Terminator… Dollhouse…. Etc…

Comment by PsiHawk – January 11, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yep. Almost all of those shows were victims of the American Idol train(wreck). Fridays is where FOX sends shows to die so they can make easy money on brainless American Idol.

Comment by Drew H – January 11, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SCREW YOU, FOX! You canceled FIREFLY!

Comment by David – January 11, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not to mention Dollhouse, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Why can’t they put reality TV on Friday nights?

So David, I agree with you.

Comment by Leezlake – January 11, 2011 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Fringe will do well on Friday. It’s the best show on TV right now.

Comment by Thom Robinson – January 11, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They can’t cancel Fringe. It’s just too awesome to be canceled =(

Comment by Annie – January 11, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lie to me has been a disappointment this season.
    Season 1 was average
    season two was great especially the last half that was AMAZING. So I came into season 3 all pumped and after 3 episodes I stopped watching it I have all the episodes on itunes since I have a season pass but I can’t get around to them for some reason most likely due to how bad the first few eps of s3 were

Comment by t.t – January 11, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE!!

Comment by P – January 11, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I won’t be following Fringe to Friday nights since I watch Supernatural at that time. I wish it would have stayed on Thursdays.

Comment by Linda – January 11, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones is awful, while Fringe gets better with every episode.

Comment by Brandan – January 11, 2011 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am still very, very worried about Fringe to Fridays. Especially a midseason move. When all the shows aired, people picked out days to watch certain shows. People who have already booked Fridays for another show might not watch Fringe.

Still hopeful though.

Comment by Sourabh – January 11, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe somehow became one of the great scifi shows in the history of television, and it would be a huge shame if it was canceled right after becoming so great.

Comment by rip van winkle – January 11, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll follow fringe wherever it goes.

Comment by Onno – January 11, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no interest in Fringe at all but have watched Lie to Me from the beginning. I am really hoping that they bring it back and am really hating that they didn’t order more episodes for this season.

Comment by Lisa – January 11, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • question — how does DVR viewership affect the overall ratings of Fringe? I plan to keep watching but when we go out on a Friday night or have plans, it will be on the DVR… I hope that still counts!

Comment by Ashley – January 11, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The networks count it in a statistic called DVR +7 if you watch it within seven days of recording it. They pay more attention to live viewers since they are watching commercials but if you can’t the first week is a good rule of thumb.

Comment by Steve – January 11, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will definitely follow Fringe to Fridays. Creatively speaking, I don’t think there’s a show on TV that surpasses it. The only thing I don’t like about Fringe right now is the network it’s on. There is literally no room for cult shows on network television anymore. Ratings expectations are just too high.

Comment by Matt – January 11, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lie to Me!!!

Comment by pat swain – January 11, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d pick Fringe over almost any other show. Go ahead and cancel anything else, Fox!

Comment by Margie – January 11, 2011 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe is a COMPLETELY new idea – something most shows won’t – or can’t – tackle. I love something totally out of this world, and I’m glad FOX has embraced this one more than Firefly. But I’m still bitter.

Comment by Kayla – January 11, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe is the only show where I’ve bought the DVD except for Arrested Development. I love it, I’ll DVR it, please please let’s hope they don’t take it away. Lie To Me is great but not nearly as cool.

Comment by Car – January 11, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will stick around, I love Fringe and Lie to me (big crush on Cal)
    Both good shows and different!

Comment by fan – January 11, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully Lie To Me’s People’s Choice Awards (for best crimefighter and best crime drama, over some stiff competition) have convinced Fox that it’s worth keeping around. Too bad the PCAs weren’t a few weeks earlier so we’d get a full third season!

Comment by b – January 11, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t make me choose! I love both Lie to Me and Fringe. I will watch each no matter which night they’re on.

Comment by S – February 1, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will watch Fringe on whatever day and time it is on. Love this show.

Comment by Peggy – January 11, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lie To Me. Hopefully the PCA awards that the show (and Tim) received will help the show. Come on FOX, Season 4!

Comment by Kristen – January 11, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Lie to Me – Tim Roth is awesome to watch.

Comment by Nyki – January 11, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If FOX “wants to build an audience” they should pick one of the shows that people will follow anywhere – Idol, possibly? Fringe is a great show, but Fridays have killed off some of the best, including Firefly!

Comment by skyfan – January 11, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe!!

Comment by Sheila – January 11, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe!!! I don’t care if Fringe has been moved to the death slot. I am still watching it!

Comment by Alison – January 11, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe is the best show on tv. Smart tv needs an audience.

Comment by mvh – January 11, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lie to Me, absolutely.

Comment by Jen – January 11, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just barely got into Fringe, and as someone who got hooked after 1 episode (currently I’ve only seen like 6 and it’s already must see TV for me), I have to say that I would follow it to Sat morning if I had to. FOX already screwed up big time when they cancelled Arrested Development (something I will always be bitter about) and Firefly (2 decisions that should haunt them forever), lets just hope that they have the sense to look back on those bad decisions and not repeat their mistakes by canceling an awesome and truly original show.

Comment by Kiki – January 11, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Having watched both shows I can honestly say that lie to me is such an inferior show in every sense: acting and writing included. I hope fringe makes it for many more years!!!

Comment by sandr0ck004 – January 11, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Re: Fringe In other words, “If it dies it’s your fault for having a life on Friday. Not our fault for moving it a spot that will likely kill it.”

Comment by Drew H – January 11, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE. And I’m hoping that the rest of its fans go to Friday (FRINGEDAY!) with me – we get the TV we deserve.

Comment by Lydia – January 11, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no interest in Lie to Meh at all but have watched Fringe from the beginning. I am really hoping that they renew it for more seasons and am really loving that they didn’t order more episodes the boring procedural of tim roth.

Comment by Lisa – January 11, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Fringe, and I, too, will follow it anywhere! Even to Friday night.

Comment by tahonia – January 11, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a fan of both “Lie to me*” and “Fringe,” but if I could only save one of them, there’s no contest. “Lie to me*” tops my scorecard. The chemistry of the cast and the science keeps me coming back for more, and it deserves more episodes! I’d love to see both shows return though.

Comment by Dana – January 11, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Fringe gets cancelled, that is not the end. I will always love this show. I will learn to draw and do Fringe comics.

Comment by Rob – January 11, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lie To Me, all the way! I absolutely love this show. If had to choose between it or Fringe, there would be no contest! stopped watching Fringe midway first season.

Comment by Dani – January 11, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE! Don’t leave me!

Comment by Aubrey S Alexander Jr – January 11, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lie To Me hands down. I watch Fringe also, but if it comes to a choice, there is no choice in my book. These shows are so completely different from each other it seems silly to even compare. But since the poll is to choose, then DEFINITELY Lie To ME. Season 4 PLEASE FOX.

Comment by Kidder1969 – January 11, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe jan 21, I wouldn’t miss an episode I’d have to be stuck in amber lol

Comment by rhonda – January 11, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot wait for the return of “Fringe” — it’s my favorite show on TV right now. (The only other one I’m near as devoted to is “Modern Family,” but if you miss an episode of MF, it’s not the end of the world. With “Fringe,” a world might LITERALLY have ended!) I’ll follow it anywhere and hope enough of the audience does to. I’d like to point out to Fox, though, that continually scheduling “Fringe” opposite “Supernatural” — another genre show, and an older one with a hard-to-budge audience — has not been awesome strategy so far. But I hope the show makes it.

Comment by amy – January 11, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree. Lie to me is very interesting. It’s always throwing a fun curveball.

Comment by Mike – January 11, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Lie to Me. I would love for the show to be on a long time. I think that it may have lost some of it’s scientific edge but the characters are great and great acting. Let’s face it Monday nights are very competitive. I think DVR and PVR viewing should also be taken into account when you are looking at such a strong night of tv viewing. Please leave it on FOX!

Comment by Joan – January 11, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I adore Lie to Me and I am really hoping for a season 4! I’ve never watched Fringe so wouldn’t care if it got canceled.

Comment by Victoria – January 11, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post