Are Fringe and Lie to Me in Jeopardy?

Fringe and Lie to Me are not doomed. That was the big takeaway from the Fox exec session today at the TCA Press Tour.

Regarding Lie to Me, network president Kevin Reilly called the decision not to order additional episodes this season “a needs thing,” adding, “We’ve got a lot of midseason shows that we’re rolling out and we just have to get a little deeper into the spring and size everything up [before deciding on another season]… We’d like to believe there’s [a future] for Lie to Me. It delivers a very loyal audience wherever we put it.”

Reilly also cautioned against delivering last rites to Friday-bound Fringe. “I beg you not to write the eulogy prematurely,” he begged. “It’s a show we’re very passionate about. I want the audience to transfer to Friday. I would be heartbroken if it went away. But if the fans stick with us the show could be on the air for many years.”

Other highlights from today’s Fox exec presser:

* Lone Star‘s demise “was a real bummer,” acknowledged Reilly. Added Fox chairman Peter Rice: “The truth is it failed to meet the [ratings] expectations that we had. [But] I would much prefer to fail with a show we’re creatively proud of than fail with a show that we’re embarrassed of.” (Somewhere Quintuplets‘ ears are burning.)

* Failed freshman comedy Running Wilde took too long to find its creative sea legs, said Reilly. “The show [eventually] found itself,” he added, “but it was too little too late.”

* Reilly anticipates that veteran hits Bones and House will return next season, but there’s a fair amount of deal-making that needs to happen first.

Thoughts? Still worried about Fringe and Lie to Me? And let’s play the Sophie’s Choice card: If it came down to a choice between the two, which one would you save? Cast your votes below!

1. Ben Phelps says:

I really hope the Fringe audience does follow it to Fridays. It would be a shame to lose it, especially now that it’s on such a roll creatively

2. Brian says:

Anything on the status of Human Target? Or is it pretty much a foregone conclusion that this season will be it?

3. Swisskev78 says:

Well, I’ll definitely be keeping my fingers crossed for the months to come! Can’t imagine loosing Fringe when it’s just getting better and better week after week!

• kuma says:

Not Fringe please…this show is really a good one that basically real with the science and characters.Just make Fringe keep going on…even if Peter ends up with Altlivia.

4. TheOtherYvonne says:

But wasn’t Bones picked up for more seasons past this one already? What’s this “deal making” bit about?

5. Darkside says:

please FOX renew fringe, whats wrong with this network??

Fringe is the best show on TV, of course the audience its gonna follow them anywhere, to anytime, please renew it already

6. Jamie says:

They seem very invested in Fringe.

It’s a good sign, I can’t see such a loyal audience not following it to Friday’s.

7. Full of Hope for Fringe!! says:

I really hope that the Fringe audience moves to Friday! Any clue on why they moved the show to Friday?! It always seems to be such a kiss of death when they move a show.

Please everyone! Watch with me on Fridays! :)

• PsiHawk says:

It’s not a secret… Every year when American Idol rolls out for the season everything else gets moved around… Fringe just drew the Friday slot… Hopefully it will fare better then Firefly… John Doe… Dark Angel… Terminator… Dollhouse…. Etc…

• Drew H says:

Yep. Almost all of those shows were victims of the American Idol train(wreck). Fridays is where FOX sends shows to die so they can make easy money on brainless American Idol.

8. David says:

SCREW YOU, FOX! You canceled FIREFLY!

• Leezlake says:

Not to mention Dollhouse, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Why can’t they put reality TV on Friday nights?

So David, I agree with you.

9. I think Fringe will do well on Friday. It’s the best show on TV right now.

10. Annie says:

They can’t cancel Fringe. It’s just too awesome to be canceled =(

11. t.t says:

lie to me has been a disappointment this season.
    Season 1 was average
    season two was great especially the last half that was AMAZING. So I came into season 3 all pumped and after 3 episodes I stopped watching it I have all the episodes on itunes since I have a season pass but I can’t get around to them for some reason most likely due to how bad the first few eps of s3 were

12. Linda says:

I won’t be following Fringe to Friday nights since I watch Supernatural at that time. I wish it would have stayed on Thursdays.

13. Brandan says:

Bones is awful, while Fringe gets better with every episode.

14. Sourabh says:

I am still very, very worried about Fringe to Fridays. Especially a midseason move. When all the shows aired, people picked out days to watch certain shows. People who have already booked Fridays for another show might not watch Fringe.

Still hopeful though.

15. rip van winkle says:

Fringe somehow became one of the great scifi shows in the history of television, and it would be a huge shame if it was canceled right after becoming so great.

16. Onno says:

I’ll follow fringe wherever it goes.

17. Lisa says:

I have no interest in Fringe at all but have watched Lie to Me from the beginning. I am really hoping that they bring it back and am really hating that they didn’t order more episodes for this season.

18. Ashley says:

question — how does DVR viewership affect the overall ratings of Fringe? I plan to keep watching but when we go out on a Friday night or have plans, it will be on the DVR… I hope that still counts!

• Steve says:

The networks count it in a statistic called DVR +7 if you watch it within seven days of recording it. They pay more attention to live viewers since they are watching commercials but if you can’t the first week is a good rule of thumb.

19. Matt says:

I will definitely follow Fringe to Fridays. Creatively speaking, I don’t think there’s a show on TV that surpasses it. The only thing I don’t like about Fringe right now is the network it’s on. There is literally no room for cult shows on network television anymore. Ratings expectations are just too high.

20. Margie says:

I’d pick Fringe over almost any other show. Go ahead and cancel anything else, Fox!

21. Kayla says:

Fringe is a COMPLETELY new idea – something most shows won’t – or can’t – tackle. I love something totally out of this world, and I’m glad FOX has embraced this one more than Firefly. But I’m still bitter.

22. Car says:

Fringe is the only show where I’ve bought the DVD except for Arrested Development. I love it, I’ll DVR it, please please let’s hope they don’t take it away. Lie To Me is great but not nearly as cool.

23. fan says:

I will stick around, I love Fringe and Lie to me (big crush on Cal)
    Both good shows and different!

24. b says:

Hopefully Lie To Me’s People’s Choice Awards (for best crimefighter and best crime drama, over some stiff competition) have convinced Fox that it’s worth keeping around. Too bad the PCAs weren’t a few weeks earlier so we’d get a full third season!

25. Peggy says:

I will watch Fringe on whatever day and time it is on. Love this show.

26. Kristen says:

Lie To Me. Hopefully the PCA awards that the show (and Tim) received will help the show. Come on FOX, Season 4!

27. Nyki says:

I love Lie to Me – Tim Roth is awesome to watch.

28. skyfan says:

If FOX “wants to build an audience” they should pick one of the shows that people will follow anywhere – Idol, possibly? Fringe is a great show, but Fridays have killed off some of the best, including Firefly!

29. Sheila says:

Fringe!!

30. Alison says:

Fringe!!! I don’t care if Fringe has been moved to the death slot. I am still watching it!

31. mvh says:

Fringe is the best show on tv. Smart tv needs an audience.

32. Jen says:

Lie to Me, absolutely.

33. Kiki says:

I just barely got into Fringe, and as someone who got hooked after 1 episode (currently I’ve only seen like 6 and it’s already must see TV for me), I have to say that I would follow it to Sat morning if I had to. FOX already screwed up big time when they cancelled Arrested Development (something I will always be bitter about) and Firefly (2 decisions that should haunt them forever), lets just hope that they have the sense to look back on those bad decisions and not repeat their mistakes by canceling an awesome and truly original show.

34. sandr0ck004 says:

Having watched both shows I can honestly say that lie to me is such an inferior show in every sense: acting and writing included. I hope fringe makes it for many more years!!!

35. Drew H says:

Re: Fringe In other words, “If it dies it’s your fault for having a life on Friday. Not our fault for moving it a spot that will likely kill it.”

36. Lydia says:

FRINGE. And I’m hoping that the rest of its fans go to Friday (FRINGEDAY!) with me – we get the TV we deserve.

37. Lisa says:

I have no interest in Lie to Meh at all but have watched Fringe from the beginning. I am really hoping that they renew it for more seasons and am really loving that they didn’t order more episodes the boring procedural of tim roth.

38. tahonia says:

I love Fringe, and I, too, will follow it anywhere! Even to Friday night.

39. Dana says:

I am a fan of both “Lie to me*” and “Fringe,” but if I could only save one of them, there’s no contest. “Lie to me*” tops my scorecard. The chemistry of the cast and the science keeps me coming back for more, and it deserves more episodes! I’d love to see both shows return though.

40. Rob says:

If Fringe gets cancelled, that is not the end. I will always love this show. I will learn to draw and do Fringe comics.

41. Dani says:

Lie To Me, all the way! I absolutely love this show. If had to choose between it or Fringe, there would be no contest! stopped watching Fringe midway first season.

42. Aubrey S Alexander Jr says:

FRINGE! Don’t leave me!

43. Kidder1969 says:

Lie To Me hands down. I watch Fringe also, but if it comes to a choice, there is no choice in my book. These shows are so completely different from each other it seems silly to even compare. But since the poll is to choose, then DEFINITELY Lie To ME. Season 4 PLEASE FOX.

44. rhonda says:

Fringe jan 21, I wouldn’t miss an episode I’d have to be stuck in amber lol

45. amy says:

Cannot wait for the return of “Fringe” — it’s my favorite show on TV right now. (The only other one I’m near as devoted to is “Modern Family,” but if you miss an episode of MF, it’s not the end of the world. With “Fringe,” a world might LITERALLY have ended!) I’ll follow it anywhere and hope enough of the audience does to. I’d like to point out to Fox, though, that continually scheduling “Fringe” opposite “Supernatural” — another genre show, and an older one with a hard-to-budge audience — has not been awesome strategy so far. But I hope the show makes it.

46. Mike says:

I agree. Lie to me is very interesting. It’s always throwing a fun curveball.

47. Joan says:

I love Lie to Me. I would love for the show to be on a long time. I think that it may have lost some of it’s scientific edge but the characters are great and great acting. Let’s face it Monday nights are very competitive. I think DVR and PVR viewing should also be taken into account when you are looking at such a strong night of tv viewing. Please leave it on FOX!

48. Victoria says:

I adore Lie to Me and I am really hoping for a season 4! I’ve never watched Fringe so wouldn’t care if it got canceled.