Ratings: The Cape Flies Low In First Outing

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Ratings weren’t entirely super for NBC’s The Cape, which took flight on Sunday night with a two-hour premiere.

In the 9 o’clock hour, the costumed crimefighter drama placed fourth in both total viewers (8.49 million) and the demos, opposite heavy hitters Desperate Housewives and Undercover Boss. Come 10 pm — versus Brothers & Sisters and a CBS repeat — The Cape managed to top the demos (with a 2.6 rating).

The Cape claims its regular Mondays-at-9 slot starting January 17.

Elsewhere on Sunday night:

* Buoyed by NFL overrun, The Simpsons dominated its 8:00 time slot with 12.7 million viewers and a 5.7 rating.

* Fox’s Bob’s Burgers served 9.4 million total viewers in its 8:30 debut, holding onto 75 percent of The Simpsons‘ audience and demos.

* Housewives was the night’s most watched show (with 12.7 million viewers), but from 9-9:30 got edged out by Family Guy in the demos.

What did you watch this Sunday? Think The Cape has legs?

Comments (15)

• Love Cape. But knowing NBC, it won’t last long, so I am trying not to be vested in it.

Comment by Tia – January 10, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think The Cape potentially has legs–and an eager audience. Unfortunately Sunday is where shows go to die, not to be born. I enjoyed the show and like the genre. That said, this type of show doesn’t often fare well and I’m not sure the advertising set it up as well as it could have. Here’s hoping for the best though.

Comment by shamgar – January 10, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Cape claims its regular Mondays-at-9 slot starting January 17 :)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 10, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That fact is a large part of what gives me hope, especially with a strong lead in from a show with a similar audience demo.

Comment by shamgar – January 10, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I consider myself a rather savvy TV watcher and no matter how many times I saw the commercials did not realize that it started Sunday night. I keep seeing all the “Monday” ads so I was surprised to see it on last night. I can’t imagine that I’m the only one.

Comment by Dana – January 10, 2011 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Sunday is where shows go to die”?

Like “Desperate Housewives,” “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition,” “Undercover Boss” and “Brothers & Sisters,” all of which have had extremely successful runs on Sunday and made it one of the most competitive nights on TV?

Comment by amy – January 10, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not to mention how popular Sunday-night cable shows like Dexter, Mad Men, and True Blood are.

Comment by Sarah El – January 10, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually really liked it, and I haven’t liked an NBC show since Friends was on the air.

Hopefully they give it a chance. Perhaps it’ll settle into better ratings in its regular timeslot.

Comment by AlistairCrane – January 10, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • a 2.6 to NBC is like a 4 on any other network. If it holds at like, 2.3-2.5 weekly it has a shot at life.

Comment by rip van winkle – January 10, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A 2.6 demo rating is not low. With the usual 20% drop after the premiere, this amounts to 2.1. If the Cape can manage that, it’s a keeper. Remember, this is NBC, where Chuck’s 2.0 is leading the night.

I liked the premiere. I like the world they’ve created and the characters. And, of course, Bear McCreary’s music is awesome. So I hope ratings for the next episodes really will be 2.1

Comment by Gusar – January 10, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely loved the premiere of The Cape, but I’m already worrying about its prospects. I really hope they give it a chance, it has a lot of potential and some really talented people.

Comment by Nicci – January 10, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, am I to get the impression that 8.4 million is flying low in the ratings? Or are you only going with the demo numbers for the “key” group of eyeballs? I’m not a fan or a non-fan of The Cape, as I wasn’t impressed with the first hour and only slightly more impressed with the 2nd hour – so I’ll give it a couple more airings before I pass full judgment – but I prefer to know the overall ratings numbers for every show NOT the “key” demographic because that simply DOES NOT reflect the American viewing audience as a whole.

Comment by Rueben – January 10, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But the key demo (adults 18-49) is the one that matters to the advertisers. And since they’re the ones paying, the demo determines the fate of shows. Number of overall viewers is irrelevant.

Comment by Gusar – January 10, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would suggest that it will depend what is enough to balance it all out for advertisers and NBC. the actual numbers are high, but the “buying” demographic numbers were average. If the extra older/younger viewers are high enough, it might make a difference to the studio/advertisers, but you never know.

Comment by Laura – January 11, 2011 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great first double ep! was punchy and fast moving, and kept you glued to the screen, whilst still hinting at a broader storyline than the chess arc, and hidden secrets to boot! summer glau was as stunning as ever. I’ve heard a lot of people saying it moved too fast. i thought it was just right for a show launch. grab em quick, and keep em hooked to set the stage, then you can slow down the pace enough for character development.

I worry nothing less than a 2.2 will keep the show on the air, as it doesn’t have the fan base Chuck has yet. Hoping also, that if the mixup about premier day is as widespread as i fear, that new watchers tuning in on monday, wont feel like they’ve missed too much and doom the show by abandoning it.

but i, and my family, loved it. plus, i want that cape!

Comment by Laura – January 11, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post