Exclusive

Private Practice Baby Talk From Shonda Rhimes

Months prior to TVLine’s recent launch, I apparently made some sort of vague-ish promise, via Twitter, to find out for Private Practice‘s AddiSam fans if their favorite couple would be on the baby track anytime soon.

Did I write that? Who knows? Sometimes I get really hopped up on peanut butter M&Ms and Coke Zero, and Tweet away in a semi-conscious haze.

Whatever the case… while speaking on Monday with Jenna Bans, Betsy Beers and Shonda Rhimes about their newest ABC medical drama, Off The Map (premiering Wednesday at 10/9c), I made certain to ask Rhimes if Addison (Kate Walsh) and Sam (Taye Diggs) might be starting a family anytime soon. Her response?

“I love the AddiSam fans to death,” Rhimes answered with an affectionate smile, “but there is no baby [for them] this year.”

ABC Renews Grey’s, Castle and Four More – But Not Housewives

Why no wee one? Simply (and rather logically) said, this pairing is far too new to head down that path.

“Addison and Sam have just started dating, so I think it would be tremendously strange to throw them right into having a baby,” Rhimes said. “They just got together!”

Private Practice Brings Back Grant Show – For A Deadly Twist?

The good news for AddiSam superfans? As those who read my exclusive casting story the other day may have surmised, Addison will be facing a very difficult time come February sweeps. And Sam will be there for his lady… as much as she will allow him to be.

What do you say, AddiSam fans? Can you understand Shonda’s reasoning? Are you content, for the time being, to have your couple be together?

ABC’s Private Practice airs Thursdays at 10/9c.

1. Jan says:

Addi should find someone worthy of her whether or not there is ever a baby. She and Sam are not a good fit. Strictly physical. Maybe Sam should worry more about his family or have they been written out? If nothing else, Sam is a grandfather but doesn’t fit the role.
    Please help Charlotte heal from that horrible rape. She needs alot of help but God knows from who.
    The logical choice is a dud with no sense at all. Get someone else. And what happened to the gender-reasslignment case, did that go up in smoke too? You guys drop story lines like crazy! No fair…

• Nicall says:

I love them together they make a great couple. I don’t think they should have babies at this moment. I do want them to grow as a couple.

2. Angel says:

Sam is a young grandfather, but there is just something weird about having kids younger than your grandkids. I love Addison and Sam together but agree that it seems they only have the physical – and even though they do that well there needs to be more for a lasting and healthy relationship. Addison needs to, and I think will, find someone who is what she needs and will let her address her ticking bio-clock.

• Gail says:

Well, it is perfectly real for a parent to have grandkids older than your kids. I come from one of these families, from the 50’s no less. I have uncles younger than me. I just “friended” them on FB coinci- dentally.
      I love Sam and Addie being together and want to see them grow and see how the baby issue unfolds. I really can relate to this issue as well. I waited too long because of my career and life choices and regretfully, my clock ran out.

3. Nikki says:

I love Addison and Sam together! They are the best couple!

4. Jamie says:

Addison and Sam bring more discussion to this show than anything else. Whether you love them together or hate them together, they are the most talked about couple. That is exactly why Shonda and ABC loves them so much because they get the audience all fired up.

5. Lindsey A. says:

I LOVE ADDISAM!!!! They should have a bunch of babies!!! They would make the prettiest babies!

6. Olivia says:

I love Addisam they are the best couple on Private Practice the relationship is still new and they don’t need a baby to complicate things right now. He gets her more than any other man you have ever seen her with plus if you look back at the episode with the dude that killed Dell, you will see that there was an uderlining current between them during the flashback. Seriously Charlotte can do way better than Cooper.

7. Silz says:

I second Shonda 100%…. I like Addie and Sam together but she’s right it’d be way too soon for them to start a family! I’d rather see some friction between them … it’d spice things up!

8. Dennis says:

Sam resembles the now generation of single dads trying to cope with teenage pregnancy, true Sam adores Addi & they hav an honest relationship, I love the way Sam gets Addi and reaches out to her for emotional and physical comfort…..
    Not all of us are happy with AddiSam thang, It’s been a long time coming for Addi to have someone only for herself and see herself grow and mature in a relationship considering her track record…… Bless ‘em

9. Nita says:

What happened to th police officer? Now he and Add…. “They had chemistry”!

10. Toyin Martins says:

How can Sam and Addi be a couple! Have they no control?! He was her bestfriend’s husband!

• arlenan says:

Exactly what I was thinking. Regardless of how friendly the divorce, I would never do or want my friend sleeping with my ex. Especially since children/ grandchildren are involved. I want to see how Renee handles this. She is so not ok with it.

11. kathy thompson says:

Not a lover of addisam .Now addipete they had chemistry pete was a rock for addi where sam is too self centred .

12. Jay says:

I do not like Addison and Sam as a couple. They make better friends. I think Sam should make his way back to Naomi. And I’m not too sure about Addison having a baby, either. I do like Addison and the new doctor, though. He’s hot and she’s hot!

• Jean says:

There is no chemistry between them. It just feels like they are trying too hard to make it look like they feel something other than friendship. There was instant chemistry between Addison and her new colleague. Their office is becoming almost incestuous. Supposedly intelligent people should have broader horizons.

13. Shavawn says:

I thought she couldnt have Kids, something about her not haveing anough eggs or something?

14. noexpect8tions says:

I know that it was her best friends husband but if you remember Naomi had a relationship with Addison’s brother which Addison didn’t really support but that didn’t stop Naomi from sleeping with him

15. Natasha says:

I LOVE ADDISON AND SAM AS A COUPLE!!!! THEY ARE ADORABLE. but i do agree babies is too soon yet.

16. fritzline says:

I don’t like addison and sam together,that was her bf husband!I agree no baby! Maybe she can get with that new doctor?

17. Elaine says:

I do not like Addison and Sam together at all. I think he should
    find his way back to Naomi. I know they need to shake up the story
    line for more excitement and I get that, but not permanently.
    This woman needs some happiness in her life and soon, but really
    hope it’s not going to be Sam. I know it’s not very probable, but
    I still would like to see her with Derek from Greys Anatomy. You
    know anythings possible in show business!!! Maybe they can have a
    long distance relationship or something.

• Emilia says:

Derek is Meredith’s!
      One of the aspevcts of these tv shows that attracts us like magnets is that there’s no happy ending, there’s real life. And in real life, most of the time, things don’t happen they way we expect them to.
      IMHO that’s why Dell is dead, nobody took care of Betsey, Charlotte’s rapist is free, Bailey’s patient in Grey’s is dead, so on and so forth, and…….. we keep on watching.

18. cbowlr says:

I don’t like Addison and Sam together. I agree that was her best friends husband. Addison should find her own man…someone that didn’t already belong to someone on the show. The cop was great for her…he challenged her. Bring him back. I do want her to have a real love interest. Sam needs one too but not Addison.

19. Vet says:

Love their characters they are bith hot but ust getting used to them as a couple…i Don’t think they should have a baby so early in the relationship…I didn’t even consider the union permanent

20. Sheila Mayhew says:

Addison and Sam …NO… addison and the new doctor …YES…

21. sara f says:

I don’t like addisam. It takes gives the impression that Black Love does not exsist. Don’t get me wrong I’m in a bi-racial relationship myself but there is not enough show that project positve black relationships let alone black love. I wish Sam would stand up & be the MAN of the family he left behind.

• Baby Girl says:

I agree!! See my post!!

• Kevin McGill says:

Excuse me, but I remember when Sam tried to win Naomi back for almost a long time. It was killing him. And to make matters worst she (Naomi) was sleeping with Addison’s brother. Then she went on to date and sleep an old white guy, and then, a white guy in the wheelchair. (Black Love???) We don’t have any problems with relationship between white guys and hispanic women, or asian women, or you fill in the blank. But to insert a black man into the mix, and now it’s a violation of the “Black Love Code.”

22. deivon says:

i love the addisam and i see no reason why they should not have kids! to those who are hatting go and hate but sam and addi wil make it as a couple

23. Baby Girl says:

I don’t like Sam and Addison together. Rhimes scares me with this couple. Seems that she has put these two together with a stereotypical bend – black man can’t be honest with black woman and make it work – but he can with the white girl. So typically wrong!! They shouldn’t have children because they are just barely together, plus, we never see Sam taking care of his life as a father to Maya. There are just so many things wrong with this story line. I don’t watch Private Practice much these days, a fake story at best.

• Kevin McGill says:

So Baby Girl: What’s you explanation for Naomi’s relationship with Addison’s brother, or the CEO of the hospital that she bedded for a whole season? Or how bout the guy white guy in wheel chair? So these dudes can troll all around and sleep with whoever, but Sam needs to stay parked until Naomi is ready to have him back, or another black woman comes along? This should be about race. It should be about love. Sam and Addison have been friends for awhile. She knew that she was in love with him for a long time. I am doing handsprings over their relationship.

24. Andy Smithers says:

Perhaps AddiSam should go vacation to “off the map” and make babies there. Just another ABC tie in show idea…. Tay and Addi in a waterfall making woopie.. YES!

25. Emmy says:

It’s a tv show, just enjoy watching it without making it into something more! Love the show, and following the lives of these MD couples, love the controversial medical questions that are brought up, but that’s it. Sam and Addison ‘fell in love’ on tv!

• Sue says:

I agree that viewers should enjoy how the stories unfold. Addison and Sam are great together because they compliment each other. One has what the other hasn’t and vice versa. Cooper and Charlotte struggle all the time with intimacy and their relationship, but I think his shortcomings are her strengths and vice versa again. They solve their problems one by one and their feelings for each other only get stronger. I love that they learn to lean on each other and I love how honest they can be with each other and still get past things and grow as a couple. At least they stick together through thick and thin. We all need to see some of that! Too much bed hopping can be tiresome.

26. Michele says:

I have to admit that I am not a fan of the Addison and Sam pairing. The idea of this kind of relationship with her best friend’s ex-husband still rubs me the wrong way. Personally, I know that it’s way in past, but I always felt there was quick shoddy reasoning behind the breakup with her and Kevin, which to me was the healthiest relationship she was in. Sorry. I’ll continue to watch for the storylines, but I’ll be on the sidelines hoping for a better Addison pairing.

27. Addy Fanatic says:

it is a messy situation, but i love addison and sam together! it makes for fun tv. they should have a baby!

i think the fact that naomi is becoming okay with it makes friendship between women look more strong.

28. Margaret says:

I think they are sick. I hate that Sam is with that whore. Friends in the Afro-Americam communties do not stab each other in the back. That is truly a white thang. going with your best friends man, just plain tacky!

29. Brit says:

Addisam are a awesome couple!
    They are my favorite!!!
    Addison is the best!

30. Joana Veríssimo says:

I hate Addie and Sam together. I hope they broke up soon

31. Carrie says:

Addie and Sam are my favorite couple on the show. I love how Shonda always talks about Addisam.

32. Setena says:

I hate AddiSam!! It’s killing PP for me. If they have a baby…just no >.<

33. Michelle Bell says:

I love Addison & Sam together–it’s about time! But a baby right now would be jumping the shark!!

34. Lauren says:

How can sam n addison have a baby? In the series premiere didn’t she find out that she was no longer capable…

35. Amy says:

Does anyone not think it was trifling for Addie to be with her bestfriend’s ex-husband? Oh my. It seems in each show Addison plays a woman with no virtues and no indiscretions. I don’t like how she us protrayed! I am nit an AddiSam fan. I think itviolates the friendship code of ethics.