Exclusive

Private Practice Baby Talk From Shonda Rhimes

Months prior to TVLine’s recent launch, I apparently made some sort of vague-ish promise, via Twitter, to find out for Private Practice‘s AddiSam fans if their favorite couple would be on the baby track anytime soon.

Did I write that? Who knows? Sometimes I get really hopped up on peanut butter M&Ms and Coke Zero, and Tweet away in a semi-conscious haze.

Whatever the case… while speaking on Monday with Jenna Bans, Betsy Beers and Shonda Rhimes about their newest ABC medical drama, Off The Map (premiering Wednesday at 10/9c), I made certain to ask Rhimes if Addison (Kate Walsh) and Sam (Taye Diggs) might be starting a family anytime soon. Her response?

“I love the AddiSam fans to death,” Rhimes answered with an affectionate smile, “but there is no baby [for them] this year.”

ABC Renews Grey’s, Castle and Four More – But Not Housewives

Why no wee one? Simply (and rather logically) said, this pairing is far too new to head down that path.

“Addison and Sam have just started dating, so I think it would be tremendously strange to throw them right into having a baby,” Rhimes said. “They just got together!”

Private Practice Brings Back Grant Show – For A Deadly Twist?

The good news for AddiSam superfans? As those who read my exclusive casting story the other day may have surmised, Addison will be facing a very difficult time come February sweeps. And Sam will be there for his lady… as much as she will allow him to be.

What do you say, AddiSam fans? Can you understand Shonda’s reasoning? Are you content, for the time being, to have your couple be together?

ABC’s Private Practice airs Thursdays at 10/9c.

1. Jamie says:

Look I love Addisam, but I just want a Addie baby. She can adopt. Shonda said on twitter Addie adopting would be a great storyline. She is such a lying tease.

• Richyl says:

I agree with you. I like A/S but for me Addie with a baby would trump them. All I want for Addie is to be happy and I really think she will not be totally happy untill she has one.

• Bee says:

she said it’s a good story. doesn’t mean it’ll happen this year. it could happen next year.

• tina says:

I think it would be wonderful we waited in agony for them to finally admit they love each other they are a great duo they deserve to be happy I think they should have s baby together and see how supportive he is and watch their love grow even more they went through alot to get to where they r i think it would beautiful to watch there love grow threw pregenancy and birth. they are meant to be together.

• summer says:

i think that pete and addison should get back together…they made a good couple

2. Jenny says:

I agree that it’s too soon for them. They aren’t there yet as a couple, and while it happens by accident in real life, keeping them childless for now is the best course of action, imo. So yeah, I’m happy.

3. GiveAddieaBaby says:

I want a Addie baby! It was the reason the show started. She has to have a baby!

• Kira J says:

I agree! She went down there to have a baby. She needs to just have one, especially after losing Lucas. I wanted her to adopt that crazy Junkie’s baby or Betsy. I’d love to see her and Sam have a baby soon. It’s only unrealistic in TVland that a 40ish woman in a great relationship wouldn’t actively start having a child, especially when she’s known that person for decades before they started dating.

4. Dee says:

Does no Addisam baby mean no Addibaby? Addison could adopt and the baby wouldn’t be a Addisam baby.

5. AddiSamForever says:

I want Addie and Sam to grow as a couple. I want them to try for a baby together. I don’t them to have a accidental baby like Pete and Violet. I can’t wait to see Sam being there for Addie.

6. ella says:

This is how much pp fans love Addisam, 6 comments so far…
    A lot of people stopped watching because of this pairing, ths show lost a million viewers since last season, that says it all.

• sabs says:

even if all the pro-Addisam comments hit more than a 100, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that this pairing is a bad idea. i’ve been a fan of Addison’s since her breathtaking entrance in the last episode of Grey’s. She’s had incredible chemistry with all of her costars, male and female. After all those years watching Addison, the one thing that made me stop was when Rhimes & Co. decided to pair her up with Sam. Who was the genius who pitched this idea? He/she should be fired. Fans can be manipulated by a good plot, but we don’t have amnesia and we’re not stupid (SOME of us, anyway). Sam will ALWAYS be Naomi’s ex husband, who she’s been in a relationship with since medical school. They even have a kid together, and made Addison her godmother. Naomi happens to be Addison’s best friend since medical school. No amount of glamming up on Addison’s part will make me like her again after she decided to hit the sack with someone who had that much history with her bestfriend. When Addi-Sam happened, for me, Addison died. I’m just glad to see there are still some sane people out there whose moral compasses are not as messed-up as these fictional characters’… (or their writers’).

• Ilaria says:

I agree with every single word you wrote!!!

• Lezlie says:

I agree totally. I hate that they got together in the first place. I loved when Naomi said something like, “You sleeping with your husband’s best friend and then your best friends husband would make you the worst person ever.” I think that was when Addison was first going to tell her about her feelings for Sam.

• DEW says:

I’m in agreement. I love all the characters on the show, but I do not like the pairing of Sam and Addison — it seems forced, not natural.

• julie says:

I totally agree, that’s like sleeping with your sister’s ex-husband. They just make Addison seem like a slut, she has almost slept with every dude in the practice. No self-respect at all. They really crossed the line pairing Addie and Sam up, just morally wrong.

• JG says:

I agree..I love Addison….and I love Sam….but they just don’t seem right for each other..no chemistry at all…it’s like friends trying to pretend to make love…the pairing of Addison and Sam made her seem like she was desperate….they don’t have the same values at all !!

• Nell says:

I totally agree with you. I hate them together. Shonda couldn’t find another man for Addison? They need to break up!!!! NO BABY FOR THEM.She is not a one man woman! She won’t know who the baby daddy is!! LOL!!

7. Ashlee says:

I love Addisam. I watch for them. Kate and Taye are hot.

8. Courtney says:

Thanks for the scoop. I want Addie and Sam baby, but I think it is better to wait. I am looking forward to Addie’s dad and brother being on the show again.

9. Addiefanforever says:

i am an addie fan. i want addie to get her baby right now! i don’t want to wait.

10. Megs says:

I am disappointed.
    There better be a Addie and Sam baby in Season 5. I hope they stay together forever.

11. Lizzie says:

I adore Addie and Sam together. I think he is the best guy for her. I want lots more of them.

12. KateWalshRocks says:

COME ON SHONDA!!!! ADDIE BABY PLEASE!!!!!!!!

13. Canada says:

I love Addie and Sam together. I’d love to see them grow as a couple. I really believe that Sam is the man that Addison needs and as long as Shonda does right by this relationship, I’ll respect how she handles their story.

14. Kara says:

Addison will get her baby. Shonda can’t give her everything all at once because it could kill the show. I think she will have one in Season 5.

15. Sarah says:

Congrats on the PP Season 5 pick up! I think Addie and Sam are a great couple. A lot better than the other Addie relationships. I think he really cares for her.

16. Nora says:

Thanks for the spoilers!
    I agree with Shonda that it’s too soon for them to have a baby. They still have to grow as a couple. Now that the show got picked up for a 5th season, there’s still enough time for a baby next year.
    For now I’m just glad Sam will be there for Addison during her family drama.

17. Chara says:

I love Addisam! This season if for them to face all their past demons and overcome them! I believe the entire next season will be for them and the baby storyline (biological or adopted).

18. Alysse says:

Yesss season 5!! I’m stoked!! Aaahhh!! I love these characters & the actors/actresses who play them soo much!! I can’t imagine what next season is going to be like. I love Private Practice so so much.

19. Tina says:

Shonda made Addison say she doesn’t want to wait anymore this season. I thought that was supposed to be a hint. She should just give her an adoption storyline without Sam. Kate would make it shine and I’m beyond bored with Addison and Sam. The only way I’ll sit through another season of them “growing” (and putting me to sleep) as a couple is an interesting new story for Kate Walsh. Addison adopting a child as a single mother would be perfect.

20. Lorie says:

I may be one of the few viewers who doesn’t like her with Sam. I just don’t sense any chemistry b/w them.

Addison adopting on her own…I would like this storyline.

21. Sure says:

Are you kidding me? I hate this couple. Addison is a horrible person for dating her best friend’s ex-husband, and I kinda hate them all for not at least attempting to do more for Betsy, especially after talking about how much they “loved” Del. (And to be honest, he was not my favorite character). These are horrible people. I’m not sure Addie deserves to be happy…

• Neil says:

I’m still disappointed about the Betsy thing too. They claimed Dell was a family member. Then why didn’t they at least try to do more for his daughter? Too bad Naomi was not around when that happened. I like to think that she would have done more than the rest of Dell’s so called family members.

As for Addison and Sam? No chemistry. At all. And I can’t wrap my mind around it. It’s Kate Walsh and Taye Diggs for grief’s sake. Two of the hottest people on television. Yet they sizzle with anyone but each other. Turning them into another boring old married couple (Meredith and Derek on GA being the other one) will not certainly not help, which is why no Addison and Sam baby is good news to me.

I would love to see KW act the hell out of a storyline that has Addison trying to adopt on her own though.

• Jamie says:

Well Naomi is back and nothing is stopping her from going to get Betsy. Naomi is no better than the rest of them. Actually she is worse since Betsy lived with Naomi.

• julie says:

I wish that was Naomi hiding Betsy out at her house or somewhere.

22. Beth says:

Shonda only said no Addison and Sam baby this season. What she didn’t say was “no Addison baby this season”. I have a feeling Addison and Sam will break up and Addison will adopt a baby. Or maybe they bring Betsy back and Addie adopts her. Shonda is tricky and smart with her wording. I also like Addison and Sam together.

23. Ashley says:

I actually am not a Addison/Sam fan at all. So this is good news for me. But I do want Addie to get a baby sometime down the line, just not with Sam.

24. Laura says:

Addison getting a baby is all that matters. I don’t care who the father is.

25. George says:

I do not like them as a couple at all. I think it would be way more interesting to watch Addison adopt a baby on her own.

26. Hella says:

I too despise Addison with Sam and stopped watching when they became a couple. Pairing Addison with her best friends ex just crossed a line into reprehensible and RUINED Addison – and all for a couple that has ZERO chemistry together. Added to the crazy that is Sam as a surgeon after 15 years of NOT being a surgeon and I was OUT.

I’d totally come back for a Story though where Addison realizes she needs to dump Sam, regain her throne as the queen of all that is evil and get the baby she wants, screw anyone who gets in her way.

27. Annabella says:

I am Team Addie and Sam. I never liked Naomi or bought their “friendship”. I like Addie/Amelia much better. I love Addie and Callie friendship on GA. I think it was more real than Addie/Naomi. Go Addie and Sam!

28. Amanda Meixner says:

I think that Addisam would have a great story line with her becoming pregnant. They have been long time friends and it could make the story line interesting. Like something they have always dreamed about secretly. I honestly think it would work and make ratings even better when Naomi finds out!

29. Aut says:

I love this couple!! I think they should defiantly stay together. They were ment for each

30. Jodi says:

I`m okay with the Addie/Sam thing. However they are not my favorite couple. No baby for them now is totally a good thing, and hope Addie gets on her way to having her own this season

31. Glencia says:

I actually liked the fact that she was trying to be a decent person at first and put her friendship first…if everyone remembers sam was the one pushing. Love is not something u chose, it happens so for that I cheer. I hope this year they focus more on the rest of their relationship, theyve been spending a lot of time in bed.

32. juanita says:

Ok guys look let’s remember in college it was Addison and Sam before Naomi chimed in. Its it 100% ethical? No! Is it 100% wrong? No! As for Betsey, Naomi will do the right thing. Ask yourself who else can really take care of her now? I mean really take care of her??? Abc is hitting homeruns with Sondra Rhimes! Hey ups and downs and whether we agree or not, we keep watching and dvr’ing the shows!

33. lauren says:

im surprised to see how many people dont like the addison/sam couple. does it surprise you that shes with her best friends ex? it shouldnt. if you recall… she slept with her husbands best friend back on GA. i like them together but i agree its too soon for a baby.

34. Jami says:

The very first episode of Private Practice showed Addison dancing and Sam watching her — it was obvious from day one that they were the couple that was going to end up together. I’m not dying for them to have a baby — I enjoy the angst of getting together, breaking up and getting together again — but I don’t understand why Sam, knowing Addison only had one egg left a few years ago — doesn’t just humor her and say “let’s try.”

Mining the history of these characters — Sam lusting after Addie in med school, but Addie insisting he date Naomi because her best friend liked him — it is easy to twist “she’s dating her best friend’s ex-husband!” to “she finally got together with the guy who’s loved her since med school.”

35. Sharon says:

Addison & Sam as a couple did it for me… That crossed the line, if I get divorced & later my BF/Coworker starts dating my ex.,
    – Come on be realistic-

36. Nicole says:

Addison is to old for a baby. And yes I know, people well into there 40’s have babies these days. That would be too weird!!!

37. Ell says:

I am not a huge fan of Addisam, but to completely diss the show because of them? Ultimately, I believe Addy will make another bad decision, and she will wind up hurting Sam and winding up alone again, or chasing after some hot doctor that isn’t able to commit. I don’t mind Addy and Sam together at this point, it has made her a happy girl for the time being. One reader commented on the moral of the issue because of Naomi…hello?? Haven’t we progressed as a society where we are able to put silly things like that aside for the sake of our friends happiness? I don’t get it.

38. Simona says:

O, my goodness people SERIOUSLY?! NO ADDISAM BABY!

That is a slap in the face to Naomi (what more do you want her to take?). Regardless, Sam fell in love, married Na and had a child. I was rooting for Sam and Naomi to get back together, but this whole Addison story line is weighing on my nerves. It lacks true couple communication (they’re always sexing it up-no true intimate moments like he had with Naomi) and neither confides honestly with each other.

Naomi can never take him back (so okay there is the slightest of chances it is TV) but a baby would require my girl Na to get her sista girl on and if she didn’t this goes beyond the strongest black woman I know!

Love to see Adi with a baby, just not with Sam…

39. Vicki Stine says:

I don’t like Addie and Sam together for the same reasons other people listed. It’s wrong, wrong, wrong! As for Amelia being her “best” friend, remember that Amelia is Derek’s baby sister, and Addison’s ex-sister-in-law, so of course they have a history. Addison and Sam just don’t have any chemistry. Naomi and Sam seem a much better fit.

40. laurie says:

I hate Sam and Addison together. There is no chemistry between the two and it’s just so wrong on so many levels.

41. India says:

I absolutely hate them as a couple. I think they look ridiculous, their chemistry seems extremely forced and the idea that it’s actually ok to slept with your best friend’s ex- husband is beyond ridiculous!!! And to think, in one episode they try to make Naomi feel bad about being upset up about happy couple. She should be allowed to feel betrayed, because in fact she was. And I beg to differ, you absolutely chose who u fall in love with.

• natalie says:

I HATE Sam and Addison together.. I stopped watching the show BC of it. Charlotte needs to fix the rape situation to put the guy away. Don’t know why she lied. Pete and Violet should have another baby!cooper and Charlotte married!

42. Rob says:

I personally find Addisam extremely boring and agree they have zero chemistry. Shonda needs to make Dr. Rodriguez permanent and let Addy have him…I’m sure he’d be more open to make babies with her!!! This show needs new blood and Dr. Rodriguez is extremely yummy!

• Chris says:

I like them as a couple, but it needs some spicing up. I don’t think a baby is the answer for them Addison needs to figure out if she truly wants to be with Sam or if she had feelings for the dr. The whole cheating/no commitment thing is getting old. Sam has to also be understanding of Addisons needs. If these can’t be accomplished then you need to not have them together…it will lose interest too fast.

43. Tab says:

Omg no this flipping pisses me clear off!!! No baby this year???? I mean a baby would lock that relationship in for me. I mean they have known each other for Sooo long. Just give em a baby already! And not this year? WTF does that even mean? Next yr? The yr after that? No. We need an AddiSam baby asap! The Private practice writers are really pissing me off! Kill Bizzy already and in that tragedy of loss, give AddiSam the joy of baby birth!

44. Debbie says:

I would love Addy to have a man she can count on. This getting together with a great friend is just not going to work. She needs to find herself a man who wants what she wants and give her some of her own life back to her.

45. Hannah says:

Definitely agree with Shonda on this one! A baby would just be strange. Can’t wait for new Grey’s and Private Practice!

46. SC says:

I do not like Sam and Addison together. Thank you No baby for them. That is a bad relationship. I hope Sam is in the process of dumping her.

47. Nicci says:

Ummm have we forgot when Addison came to the practice she wanted a baby and her best friend the fertility specialist said there was no way it could happen!?

48. Julie says:

I absolutely LOVED Addison and Sam as a couple and was rooting for them to get together, UNTIL the night Charlotte was attacked and Sam made the remark to Addison that he was glad that she (Addison) was not the one attacked because he didn’t think he could stand it if one more thing happened to HIM!!!! I’m mean seriously???? Are you freaking kidding me???? Not only would I not want to have a child with this man, I would be having SERIOUS doubts about maintaining a relationship with anyone that selfish and self-centered. Of course, lately, selfish and self-centered could describe any number of the characters on Private Practice.

49. amanda mcnamee says:

I LOVE Sam and Addison together! That’s why I watch the show! Love them!

50. Sandra Caldwell says:

I wasn’t really ok with Addison and Sam at first but I think with all there chemistry and the struggles both have been through it makes perfect sense but I don’t think it will last and I don’t think Addison would ever consider a baby let alone with Sam! I doubt that would set well in that mind of hers, having a baby with her bestfriends ex-husband. So her Bff’s daughter and their child would be siblings, no way and I doubt the rest of the gang would like it either! I think her and that new sexy DR. should get together after she gets bored with Sam!