Brothers & Sisters Scoop: Good Wife Actor In, Patricia Wettig Out

Brothers & Sisters giveth, and Brothers & Sisters taketh away. Let’s start with the taketh away part…

Series vet Patricia Wettig made her final appearance as Holly Harper in last night’s episode, although a B&S insider says the door is being left open for her to possibly return. In Sunday’s ep, Holly left town to join daughter Rebecca in New York.

And now onto the giveth front: Sources confirm to me exclusively that Pedro Pascal — last seen as one of Glen Childs’ flunkies on The Good Wife — is joining the show in a potentially recurring role. He’ll play Zach, a homeless war vet who Justin (Dave Annable) takes under his wing.

Thoughts? Will you miss Holly’s special brand of antagonism? Happy Justin’s getting a new storyline (and one not involving his dull-as-dishwater love life)? Hit the comments!

1. I.C. says:

I’ll miss her.

2. Jeanette says:

Yes, I for one am glad she’s leaving. Rebecca and Holly were getting old. Their story was going nowhere and they’re not really likable.

3. Nick says:

No No No… Holly was so good until that stupid accident! I am going to miss her craziness. Tommy better be back for good then if they let her go. Ugh… and this show better be picked up for another season of family dysfunction.

4. Susan says:

My interest in Brothers and Sisters waxes and wanes a great deal!I find this season very lacking in compelling storylines, to be honest. I particularly liked the Rebecca/Justin storyline which died a quick death ,only to be replaced by the wonderful Justin Walker as an EMT with a hot brunette girlfriend. This show seems to clutch at straws lately, and I’m not really anticipating a follow-up season.

5. D. Walls says:

I am really going to miss Holly, over the years she and Nora have created a hilarious chemistry when they’re in scenes together. Last night I couldn’t stop laughing at the two of them.

6. Rolfe says:

I totally saw this coming. There is no reason to have Holly on the show anymore. I’ll miss Patrica though.

7. Linda says:

OMG! She’s leaving? I didn’t see that coming, but it kind of makes sense. I’ll miss her, but I’d miss her more if she was her old self. The drama they experienced was just brilliantly written and performed. Brothers & Sisters hasn’t been as good this year, so I hope it picks up for the last episodes of the season.

8. Kira J says:

They just need to end the show. It started off as this engaging serial drama and quickly dissolved into an hour of upper middle class people whining about their ridiculous problems.

I don’t care about any of the characters anymore, including Sally Field’s Nora, which breaks my heart to say.

• AJ says:

My favorite line from commenters: “They just need to end the show”. Why? Because YOU don’t like it anymore? Yet I bet you watch every episode. And here you are commenting. I thank you for adding to my entertainment.

9. chris jenkins says:

Brothers & Sisters is my favorite show. I love Holly, and think she’s a real asset to the show. i will miss her, but hope she can return, and I hope that the show will continue for years.
    chris

• derekmorgansfaekGF says:

Love Holly too and will miss her. But my absolute fav characters are Scotty and Kevin so as loong as I have them EVERY WEEK, it’s all good.

10. Buffy Freak says:

The character has run it’s course. They really had to strain to keep her involved. But the writing on this show has really gone downhill. I get that they want a happy ending but Sarah saying to Holly that she would always have a job with her was just ridiculous.

11. tammy says:

I never liked the Holly story line even though I like Patricia. The series as a whole s

12. Daisy says:

I honestly haven’t missed Holly this season. Her tricks were a little ‘daytime soaps’ for me. What is up with Calista Flockhart? I am assuming kitty’s cancer is back from her last scene, but is she going to be killed off? Now, HER- I would miss a LOT- enough to stop watching, possibly.

• E says:

Daisy, couldnt agree with you more! Holly & fam had run their course and I think its great that she, Becca and David are off to NYC. It will be better to just focus on the Walkers – there are a bunch of them as it is. I am too very worried about Kitty…I hope she isn’t sick again. that last scene was strange. Since when has Kitty not gone to her family when she needed them? i hope nothing devastating is coming. I would really miss her character!!! Calista is an amazing actress!!!!

• Kate says:

Calista requested to appear in fewer episodes. I’m really hoping they at least explain her absence in a believable way. As I posted below, I also think it would be unbelievable that she would seek treatment not only away from her family, but that she would not have Evan with her or her family.

• Ali says:

That final scene with Kitty..just the way she was acting really had me wondering whether she was sick again. I remember when she was initially diagnosed and they were talking about treatment, I remember there was some type of trial that Robert got her in. And I think it was back east. But..I don’t know.

I am going to miss Holly. Her character really grew on me the last season, but I was wondering if she was going to be on the show much longer. She hadn’t been seen in quite a number of episodes.

I think the season has picked up a little since the beginning. I wasn’t very pleased with the beginning of the season, but it seems to be getting a little better.

13. brynna says:

Awwww I like Holly. Sad to see her go. Hopefully she’ll come back eventually.

14. LA says:

I’m bummed they never figured out what to do with Holly after the accident. She was an excellent character. Sorry to see her go.

15. Amy says:

I used to love Brothers & Sisters, but these past two seasons have really worn on me. I can barely remember what happens 5 minutes after it airs.

It needs to die with dignity if the writers can’t get their stuff together.

16. Entertainment2u-Twitter says:

Please cancel this once good show.

Good time to wrap it up this May.

It is really falling apart now.

17. Isis says:

I don’t watch the show since Rob Low left. He left the show and so did my interest.

• berit says:

I miss Robert Lowe too, hope he will come back, the serius is not the same, we love Robert and Kitty, they are very good actres.

18. Ang says:

Does anyone else notice that whomever Dave Annable is married/dating at the time plays his girlfriend? He dated Emily VanCamp when she first started playing Rebecca and now the Nurse is played by his wife, Odette Yustman.

Just Wondering….

19. Kate says:

They really have run out of story lines. I still have no idea how Sarah is the only Walker who not only made money on the land sale but made enough to take over a broadcast empire? I think all the siblings are kind of adrift. I dont know if I buy that Kitty’s cancer is back if she is leaving Evan with Robert’s wife. Wouldnt she want Evan to at least be with her family if not herself? I know this is their way of giving Calista the time off she wanted but I hope they at least do it in a way that makes sense. I think budget cuts and actors requesting to appear in less episodes has really hurt the consistency of the show.

20. dotdotdot says:

Holly was a great character until the accident. I don’t know where they thought they were going with that storyline, but it didn’t work. I would like to see her back, intact, someday.

Justin’s new girlfriend is a snooze.

Still love the show, but it’s in a bit of a lull right now. Hope it bounces back.

• Larc says:

I agree about Justin’s girlfriend, and he acts like a total idiot around her. Either that or the writers aren’t giving him any dialog in scenes with her and he’s failing miserably at composing his own on the fly.

21. Rob J. says:

Yay, the other albatross weighing down the show (the one not named Balthazar Getty) is leaving. Now it’s time to get Emily Vancamp back and have Justin & Rebecca take their place as the only sane couple on the show.

PS: Kevin and Scotty would qualify — if Kevin weren’t the epitome of the Walker brand of insanity.

• MaryB says:

Yeah, but Kevin is the BEST brand of Walker insanity! Even more than Sarah (though she is a close second). If I have to hear one more NoraWalkerHolierThanThou speech, I’ll kill myself. Frankly, I’m pretty over her (and Sally Fields for that matter). I wish they’d focus on Scotty/Kevin and Sarah.

Not surprised to see Holly go and not sorry either. If she was the before accident Holly, I’d have a problem as she was a good foil for the saccharine Nora. But now that Nora has made her a BFF, I’m glad Holly was able to escape.

Not sure what is going on with Kitty. I, too, thought she was sick again. But I did think it was weird that 1) she would leave Evan behind and 2) not involve her family. I guess I didn’t know that Calista Flockhart requested time off. I also hope that her storyline remain real and true to the character. However, ever since Rob Lowe left, I’ve beeen less enchanted with where the writers are taking Kitty.

Not happy to see Tommy back. Hope it’s not for long.

22. M says:

So do we know how Pedro Pascal is related to Ken Olin?

23. amy says:

Holly was awesome, but from the day that Rebecca turned out not to be a Walker, her part in the story – and her characterization – were doomed. Before she was somebody who, while not wholly sympathetic, had realistic motivations and emotions. After that, it was more like soap-villainess stuff. Hopefully the awesome Patricia Wettig will find another top-notch show.

24. steve says:

It seems that the abc management have let this show. Implode. The original creater split from the show ina dispute and from flying high with rob lowe ojai and stories that unravelled over a season. It has been a rushed fast paced season of forgetable short plots. Hollys exit was sad only from the input from patty wettig for four seasons. The actors say there tired and it shows as it cannot be fun to do no one promotes the show. Lets hope it signs off with some dignity as only a few shows have such fans and loyalty. To recap the show is now without tommy.holly.rebecca. Tommys wife. Robert mcallister. And kitty and luc are away for a bit just the gays stay sol kevin and scotty. Hehe abc must be in trouble.

25. Bobby says:

Honestly, we’ve loved the show from day one, but this season is wearing us out. The Walkers have all turned into whining little petty children who scream and cry and beat their fists against the floor and it’s getting old. I’ve gone from loving the Kevin character to absolutely hating him and his attitude.

Hopefully the entire series will be ending this year. I doubt I’ll be watching much either way.

26. Jenny says:

I’m so sick of Holly. Her character was good in the earlier seasons but the memory loss storyline is really annoying to me. I won’t miss her

• Naomi says:

I disagree. Holly did a gtreat job portraying that particular kind of memory loss which is a real disorder. I’d like to see her getting treatment on the show.

27. Jim says:

Will miss Holly but I’m not too upset she’s leaving. Her storyline has been blah all season. I wish Emily VanCamp would come back to the show. I miss Rebecca so much. If this is the last season, hopefully she will return for the final episodes. I want her and Justin to be together!

28. tahonia says:

Everyone’s right when they say this show has lost its focus. They have shifted away from politics and all that’s left is Gossip and Whine. I really liked Balthazar Getty and Rob Lowe–ah, Rob Lowe. The producers have let the show drift too far; they have ideas with Sarah taking over the broadcast syndication, with Nora and maybe with Kitty back on radio that could cause some conflict, but everyone is just about in a good place. Justin is over his addiction and happily working as a paramedic w/ girlfriend, Saul’s going to be happy with Richard Chamberlain, Kevin and Scotty and Olivia and going to be a happy family, Kitty will die and Evan will be with his brother and sister, Nora will go off with Tommy and his new girlfriend to disrupt his new happiness, and Sarah and Luc and children will live happily/hornily ever after. Yes, this is a good time to end it. Unfortunately. Because I really like this ensemble of players and I love the way they are constantly in communication with each other. The show has been a waste ever since they closed Ojai. Are they threatened with cancellation every year, so they think they need to close down the storylines to keep fans happy that they provided an end?

29. Jared says:

I think that “Brothers & Sisters” is one of those shows that is like a roller coaster every season. The season starts off great and starts to dip a bit as the season progresses. Then there are a few good bumps before another dip leading to the final rise of a great season finale. I think a season six is highly probable, especially since the ratings have stayed nearly consistent this season and still holds a good retention rate to DH.

30. PJ says:

I think Brothers and Sisters started out great and can still be a compelling drama, but this season it has gone a little off track. Sending Holly to New York is a big mistake. As other posters have said, Sally Field and Patricia Wettig have great chemistry and they could have used that rather than having her lose her edge this season.

I do hope they renew the show and eventually bring Holly back.

31. Federico says:

Miss Holly?

God no.

32. Alberto says:

I love Holly!!!! :(( Brothers and Sisters MUST end this season, come on!!

33. Ken says:

Patricia Wettig is a real talent that will be missed! I hope something great is waiting for her. I’ve loved this show but I agree with those that say it is time to wrap it up.

34. Susan-Tampa says:

I’m forcing myself to watch this season. Justin’s story line is dull and don’t care for the new love interest. I miss Rebecca and will miss Holly. I think B&S is ready for cancellation.

35. boidiva02 says:

This pisses me off very much. Patricia Wettig is one of my favorite actresses on the show. She really deserves to continue her role. And she’s very overdue for an Emmy.

36. ThatGirl says:

I never liked the character of Holly – so her departure is just fine with me. I’ve always been a big fan of the show, but even I concede that it’s on its final leg. Most of the characters have been through trauma and are arriving at good places, so it’s probably a natural time to say goodbye. I will, however, miss the show.

37. Diana says:

Couldn’t be happier. Patricia Wettig and we the viewers deserved a better character than Holly. I’ve detested the character ever since she got the company and knew that she shouldn’t.

38. SuperCat says:

It’s fine, she hasn’t really got a lot to do what with Rebecca gone anyways.

Personally I don’t mind rotating casts, but it seems they are dropping more characters then they are adding.

39. PGP says:

I must be in the minority here, but I’m liking Brothers and Sisters still this year. I like Justin and his new gf and love the adoption story. Hate seeing Holly go and would have loved her living with Nora that could have been fun.

40. Dave L says:

We are appalled at the ridiculousness of the story lines. The episode two weeks ago where Kevin attacked Kitty’s boyfriend at the family dinner was so ridiculously surreal. We love this show, and can’t understand how the writers can have absolutely nothing but drivel to write about. Where’s our Holly villan? Where’s any villan? Come on people, let’s bring back the excitement and drama!! Enough with the family dinners and the drinking of the red wine. Saul, hold your glass properly!

41. Andrew says:

Rebecca and Holly were kind of the idea of the show. The two families of William Walker – now Holly and Rebecca have left, I fear for the future of the show.

42. Taylor Geary says:

Patricia Wettig will be missed!

She is a truly great actress and the only reason I started watching the show. Scenes between her and Sally Fields and her and Rachel Griffiths were what great television in made of, especially from season one. When those three got into a scene, they could keep anyone’s attention.

I have to say, that Brothers & Sisters was a great show in the beginning, but by last season it was going downhill and should have come to an end before the car accident. By now, the show should be called Brother & Sister, since half the original cast is gone. I hope she finds something new to sink her teeth into, but I don’t see this show having much more of a life, then again, Six Feet Under only had five seasons and that ended brilliantly.

43. Mc says:

Will there be season 6??

44. Oh :-( I´ll miss Holly…

45. Paulii says:

I hate to say it, but the show has turned into a half-rate daytime soap. Overemotional from all sides, acting that has gone completely south, really bad writing – I am giving it up, really bad tv.

46. Debby says:

Don’t like Tommy’s character at all. I will miss Holly and Rebecca.

47. Tammy says:

This season is sooooooo boring. Main storylines revolve around sarah’s tween kids, snore. The writers blew it with the jumping ahead a year. We missed all the good stories after the car crash. I used to love this show, but they ruined it this year with the writing and exit of many of the best characters.

48. bronwyn says:

I think the show started off great and then went off the deep end when rob lowe and/or the politics left the show. Also the history of the show was the family business which is now gone. You need some stability and then bring drama and excitment from there. Rob lowe was a serious character with a believable occupation. That is missing now. In order to settle things down they need to bring back some substance that carries through the season not different “mini” story lines every two shows. It could be saved. It is better at the end of this season than it was earlier on. The light and funny side of the family is nice,but they need the interest to be about something solid that runs the whole season like the political storyline.I hope the writers get it together or get new writers.
    I don’t want the show to go off,but if they take kitty off they are really wearing down where they can go with the show. I also think the gay storyline with two couples now is getting pushed too hard.
    Hopefully someone will get the show on track and stop pushing their own agendas.

49. Mary says:

I think they ruined the show when they killed Robert, and I’m really sad they made holly and Rebecca leave. I hate rose (Tommy’s fiancé), she shouldn’t exist.