Exclusive: Glee Does Justin Bieber!

Get More: Exclusive, Glee, News, Scoop, Spoilers

Heads up, Twitter: You’re seconds away from exploding. Sources confirm to me exclusively that Glee is doing a February sweeps episode that’s Justin Biebercentric.

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Chuck, Glee, Bones, Smallville, House, Grey’s and More!

Details are still sketchy, but I’m told the episode — tentatively scheduled to air on Feb. 15 — will feature the cast covering several of the teen phenom’s songs. Bieber himself will also figure into the episode’s plot, although there are no plans for him to appear in the flesh. At least not as of this writing.

Glee Exclusive: Blaine, Kurt to Deliver Super Destiny’s Child Cover

This is shaping up to be a big February for Fox’s musicomedy smash, beginning with its post-Super Bowl entry on February 6, continuing two days later with the big Valentine’s episode and now, of course, The Biebs.

Exclusive: Meet Glee’s Newest Recruit

Thoughts on the two biggest names in entertainment joining forces? Predictions as to who’ll sing what, and why? Hit the comments!

Comments (233)

FOREVER NO.

Comment by NO – January 8, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ICH! GROSS! CRAP! NO! FUKK NO! IT AMAZES ME THAT ANYONE THINKS THIS SH@THOLE KID IS TALENTED! DISGUSTING TO EVEN THINK OF! REVOLTING! GHASTLY! HORRIBLE! NAUSEATING! REPULSIVE! SICKENING! APPALLING! IRRITATING! INFURIATING! EXASPERATING!
    Let me see if I can think of any way to tell you how I truly feel. Season 2 started off VERY poorly, then started getting better with the bullying storyline and the wedding. Then down again with the silliness of Rachel going with Puck to piss off Finn, etc. and them breaking up. I truly like Lea Michele, but her only “singing/scting” occurs when she closes her eyes to sing. It seems that’s all she can do to show vocal emotion. She’s good at the tears, but it’s very “one note” because she always looks the same and she does it so so often.
    I know I’ll still watch the show because I do like it, but this Bieber crap just sucks. He may be famous now, but he’s really a no talent and I find it ridiculous that Ryan Murphy would do something like this.
    There are so MANY other noteworthy singers who warrent a tribute ep, but Bieber?!?!?!?
    Eventually, if things such as this continue, I will stop watching. I will no longer be watching American Idol because I think their new “judges” are a pathetic choice. I am not a Harry Connick Jr. fan, but he would have been a better choice and I would probably still watch. But, alas, no. I would hate to think the same of Glee. Only time will tell.

Comment by Jeff in NC – January 8, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Hayley – January 8, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let me start off by saying that I have absolutely nothing against Justin Bieber. I think it’s ridiculous to hate a kid just because he has an obnoxious fan base, so I’ve been trying not to be negative towards him. He’s just a kid. However, the decision to have him on Glee is the worst I have heard from the creators so far. The show has changed so much over the last year, and it’s quite disappointing. The writers need to get away from all these tribute episodes and go back to the earlier days of the original 13 episodes. Is it too much to ask for plots that don’t have to do with the ever changing relationships…? I thought this show was supposed to be about the underdogs. It was supposed to be relatable to the viewers who weren’t the “cool kids” in the high school social ladder. I don’t know about you, but at my school, the nerds weren’t with a new jock every week. Just sayin’.

It’s obvious that the longtime fans of the show, the early supporters who contributed to its success, do not want to see him on the show. It’s only the new fans, mostly tween girls, who would watch. Granted, ratings are ratings, but the writers should seriously take the wishes of their longtime fans into consideration before they run the show into the ground. Instead of writing the episodes with ratings in minds, they should go back to filming in their “Glee bubble” where the opinions of the outside world had no affect on the show. Back then, they were truly carrying out the original intentions for the show, and that is what I fell in love with. Hopefully they can fix all of this before it’s too late.

Comment by Rob – January 8, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PREACH, ROB. PREACH.

Comment by Christine – January 8, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am a Glee original fan from the very beginning and 100% agree with every single thing you’re saying.

Comment by RecceR – January 8, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen, Rob. I enjoyed the “Madonna” episode, as it actually had a plot, but the Britney and Rocky Horror eps had nothing to do with the storyline. Fit the songs to the plot, not the other way around!!

Comment by rentagoodbook – January 8, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree wholeheartedly. Justin’s career isn’t worthy of having a Glee episode fully dedicated to him. Besides, I thought there wouldn’t be any more tribute episodes this season?

Comment by Julianna – January 8, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • words cannot describe how against this I really am. I’m considering boycotting, who’s with me? Damn you Ryan Murphy!!

Comment by Nicole – January 8, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank gaga for fastforwards – that way I can still watch the show and skip any cringeworthy Bieber moments :)

Comment by Natalie – January 8, 2011 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not that I hate the kid, but this isn’t going to work. Who outside of his target audience (which, by the way, is not the same demographic as Glee’s target audience)knows any of his songs? You know, other than that baby song.

Glee needs to give it a rest with the themed episodes, and the guest stars. The characters are what make the show, and so far they’ve been ignored just to pursue the latest gimmick. At the start the references to musical theatre (even bringing in legends like Chenoweth and Idina) made sense. It fit the overall tone of the show and was tasteful enough to still allow the characters to develop, while also giving funny little nods to a great influence on the show.

Bieber is clearly just an attempt to jump on the bandwagon and bring in more viewers. Ironic really, since it’ll probably push away dedicated fans who are becoming a little sick of the constant ‘look who we got THIS week!’ circus.

Comment by Julia. – January 8, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completly agree with you.
      I live in Germany and Glee starts here in a week with, i think horrible german voices. And i was really seeing forward to watch the new episodes in February, but now i am kind down.

Comment by Svenja – January 8, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Glee so much but I swear to god if this is true I’ll stop watching. That kid is taking over everything and Glee should know better than to do a themed episode on him.
    He has a movie coming out and there was a cardboard cut out of him in my local cinema. Well at least half the people who walked in whacked it and someone tore his head off so they took it down haha.

Comment by Holly – January 8, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No!!! You are kidding rigth?
    Oh please, that can not happen!
    I love Glee, but with the whole Tribute-Episodes, it kinda goes the opposite. And Bieber?? seriously? there are so many great musicans out there and they choose Justin Bieber?
    I was really happy over the summer, when i heard Sesons 2 will have more Storylines for the Characters. but now it feels like they want to sell the music instead of making a great tv show.
    I hope the Episode is not like i am imagine right now and that i am just overreacting.

Comment by Svenja – January 8, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Trying to stan for a show that wants to do a tribute to Justin Bieber:

Comment by Alicia – January 8, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK FIRST YOU TAKE AWAY FINCHEL. THEN WE ARE WAITING FOR SOME BRITTANA AND NOTHING. AND NOW YOu REALLY WANT TO DO A FERAKING JUSTIN BIEBER EPISODE?!

NO. JUST NO.

BIG MISTAKE GLEE PRODUCTION.

Comment by Karen – January 8, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that there’s too much emphasis on tribute shows. It’s not even storytelling anymore, it’s all about trying to the show around what songs they are doing. There’s very little character anything, and there’s so many high school issues that would be good to deal with. This is what happens when a show is given a 2 season renewal before the end of the first half of the first season: producers think they can do anything. And what they are doing is ruining the idea of a show about high school gleeks. Now it’s “who’s music are they doing?” This show is truly disappointing me.

Comment by tahonia – January 8, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS IS A NIGHTMARE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO D:

Comment by draco malfoy – January 8, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO. SO MUCH NO. I will honestly stop watching Glee if this is true. Just stop with the tribute episodes already RIB and give us some actual character development for the characters we already have – the characters we already love! And a Justing Bieber tribute? Are you freaking kidding me?

NO. ALWAYS NO.

Comment by Lily – January 8, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They booed this idea at ComicCon, why would they do it?

Comment by martin – January 8, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They actually brought it up then? Wow, I guess the writing was already on the wall…shame I didn’t know then so I could’ve bailed earlier.

Comment by Maria – January 8, 2011 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bleh. I will know none of the songs on that show. Guess that means I am old eh?

Comment by Sidney – January 8, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • glee does gaga, madonna, and britney spears was AWESOME

BUT GLEE DOES BIEBER IS DISGUSTING!

Comment by asdfghjkl – January 8, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I try really hard not to hate Justin Bieber. He’s the same age as me and he acts like the large majority of the boys in my school, some of whom are tolerable. But no. I think his songs are awful. Not even Glee would be able to do them justice. Please, Ryan, Brad and Ian. Don’t do this to my favourite tv show. :(

Comment by Ellie – January 8, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOO!!!!!!!!! GLEE DOESN’T EVEN HAVE THE SAME JUSTIN BIEBER DEMOGRAPHIC!!!!!!! AAAGGH!!! THEY BETTER NOT!!!!

Comment by tomkitten – January 8, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this is true!!!I Can’t wait!!!!!:)

Comment by ollie – January 8, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RYAN MURPHEY DON’T DO THIS PLEASE! WE BEG OF YOU! DO YOU NOT REALIZE HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL STOP WATCHING GLEE OR NOT WATCH THIS EPISODE AT LEAST HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND? THAT STUPID JUSTIN BEIBER IS THE WORST THING GLEE COULD DO EVER! PLEASE DON’T DO THIS TO MY FAVORITE SHOW! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Comment by Elena – January 8, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You have sunk to a new low Glee. We’re through.

Comment by Thom TheGlassPhoenix – January 8, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I HAVE SO MANY DISAPPROVING GIFS I COULD POST RIGHT NOW

Comment by J – January 8, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ohmygosh! get OVER IT!! glee goes bieber for ONE FRIKEN EPISODE! ur not gonna die!!!! sheeeeeeit! if you were really gleeks, you’d be happy that the show is airing at all!!

Comment by ameliaa – January 8, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You do realize that the ‘one friken episode’ will be an Old Shame in a year? That Fox will probably keep it out of syndication later because everyone universally saw it as the chasm of quality of the entire series?

No, this is a short-sighted decision going with the ‘hot it boy’ of the moment that will get good ratings, but within a day everyone will be like ‘why was that made? And how is that Beeper kid so horrible? And what the heck, that isn’t a album, it’s a Kidz Bop CD on acid!’

Comment by Mantra720 – January 8, 2011 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO!! Seriously Glee this is all kinds of WRONG!!

Comment by Summer – January 8, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay I’m not gonna stop watching the show or anything, cause let’s face it, I’m way to big of a Gleek to let this keep me from watching it.

But I might not watch this episode.

I mean seriously, Glee? Whatever happened to picking the songs based on the quality of the song and their relevance to the plot? Don’t focus on trying to get high ratings from a bunch of pre-teen girls who are only going to watch one episode of the show and then never watch Glee again. If you just stay with what you have, keep picking quality songs, and stop TRYING so hard to get high ratings, your ratings will actually get higher just because of the quality of the show, not because people are watching one episode here and there for certain themes.

Just saying.

Comment by Katie – January 8, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you! Just had a discussion about it last week with my sister. We´re huge Gleeks, but this have not been the same this season… :(

Comment by Mariana – January 8, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My ears are going to be bleeding!!!!!

Comment by Emma – January 8, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s a really mean joke, RyMurph.

Comment by Ali – January 8, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im just gonna watch the episode just to see how bad it is…..

I’d understand if there was a J Biebs song, but not a whole freaking episode… *crosses fingers* please don’t be as bad as I think you’ll be..

Comment by Leah – January 8, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bieber has a 3-D movie coming out in Feb. This is all pure promotion. I, for one, will be living in a cave the month of February, until the Bieber is put back to bed.

Nothing against the kid, but his fans are ridiculous. Plus, I don’t think I have ever heard a Bieber song in my life, so I know I wouldn’t enjoy the episode. Isn’t that part of the fun of “Glee”: hearing oldies, but goodies, in a new, fun way?

Comment by Miss Em – January 8, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FYI, #nobieberonglee made it to the trending topics in France http://cl.ly/3vHm

Now come on other countries, especially the US, you have to help !

Comment by Hello – January 8, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • dear ryan murphy, i have been with you from the first episode. but now, in season 2, there is no plot, it’s unrealistic, and it’s just about who dates who and who’s cheating on one another. You have lost the humor and the expense. It’s all about “how will we put in this new song we just heard on the radio?” This has crossed the line. 1 out of 50 people in my classes like his squeaky girl voice and his repetitive lyrics about stuff he won’t experience for 5,maybe 10 more years. My sister will still watch glee, but i way wait till season 3. Frankly, this season can go live in a hole on pluto. from, one of your hundreds of ex-viewers.

Comment by Lyss – January 8, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone who comes from his hometown knows what kind of punk this kid really is. He’s a bully!! He bullied and harassed others at his school in Stratford. This is a fact.

When he came back home he was asked to sign a few autographs for some girls waiting and he told them it was his “day off” so he refused. What kind of ego does he have?

For a show that champions the fight against bullying to do a show about him is just awful.

Shame on you Ryan Murphy and co. I use to have respect for you.

Comment by po'ed – January 8, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s a teenager who is immature and self centered. I am not surprised that he acted like. He needs better parenting is more like it.
      Fame obviously has gotten into his big head. Someone needs to pop that balloon head of his.

Comment by Hannah – January 8, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was tragic enough that Glee did an episode dedicated to Britney Spears, of all people, but to do one based on Justin Bieber’s music? Is Glee specifically just aiming for the tween crowd now? Does the show need to move to the Disney Channel to replace Hannah Montana or something? This is just ridiculous.

Comment by Summer – January 8, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UGH! I am sick of Glee doing artist centered episodes! They are rarely done well and I just end up feeling that the artist did it simply for free publicity. Doing one or two Bieber songs..whatever, but a whole episode? Glee has really lost its way.

Comment by Elena – January 8, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are other viewers than the Glee fans. Justin Bieber on Glee will create more attention, more ratings and hence good for the show. I am not a Bieber fan but if it means higher ratings for Glee I am all for it. Bring in the Bieber!

Comment by Hannah – January 8, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well…if it’s true i’ll have to find something else to watch on tuesday night…

I watch Glee from the first episode and like it. Beside the musical numbers, i really like how they went over the top with the plots making them spoofs of all the teen movies and shows. The writing was funny and the characters likable epecially the mean ones (aka Sue). Now this year, they seem to went another directions which is painfully annoying! (the storyline with Will and Emma, finn and Rachel on again back again, The bullying storyline who we have seen countless of time and worst of all the robotic legs so Artie can walk…WTF???) They went from making fun of the teen pop culture to trying to become it. I actually now end up fast forwarding the episodes until the musical numbers arrive.

As far as the theme episodes are: GIVE IT A REST ALREADY!!! once or twice is good but every 2 weeks is getting boring and you will lose your core audience…The Madonna episodes was good because the songs were incorporated to the plot of the season. Although the britney episode allowed us to see more of Heather Morris it didnt make any sense with the storyline and Spears presence was making even less sense. It would have been better to use or songs and her in a different manner (she did a good job on HIMYM) The Rocky Horror picture show could have been good if not for the casting of Mercedes as Frank N Furter…I heard the plan was for Stamos to play it but Fox didnt want to see a man play a man part but hey, what can they do…However, the plot didnt make sense either.

Now a special show with Justin Bieber…Now i know a straight man in his 30′s (is straight men can like musical too) is not the target demographic for this kid and i have nothing against him…I just dont understand what the fuss is about but thats ok…I’m sure his fans are not into rock bands or hockey…I just find it very odd to do a Glee show about him since he only has 1 record out and i cant think of only 1 song that made it to top 40…Even if im not a fan of hers but Lady Gaga only had 2 songs on glee!!!

I’m basically just saying that before doing a full Glee episodes on a kid that is popular yes but still is on his first minute of fame there are more acts you can base an episode on which would make more sense: the beatles, Elvis, another madonna episode, the stones, Dylan, Elton John, Bon Jovi, Garth Brooks, Michael Jackson, a diva episode (Whitney, Mariah and Celine) or if they want the current pop vibe: Justin Timberlake/NSync, Rhianna, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry,…basically anybody who ahd more than 1 hit…

Comment by Canadian fan – January 8, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Four words: HELL to the NAW!!!!!

Comment by Jasonbres – January 8, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve already been getting tired of Glee, with the tired sameness each week, but this could be the last straw. I don’t even like looking at Bieber, much less listening to him. He doesn’t have enough talent to justify a tribute episode. The show is just trolling for viewers.

Comment by mgb – January 8, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO. Hell to the no.

Comment by Amber – January 8, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • glee sure is trying to get more kids to watch the show, that’s probably the only problem I have with this Justin bieber episode. the show is forgetting what it is, it was never a show for kids. they need to stop listening to whiny parents and stop trying to reach a younger audience because it is DESTROYING what is left of the show.
    oh and we need brittana.

Comment by Justin – January 8, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just threw up in my mouth. The only way this will work is if they are singing Bieber to mock the fact that he thinks he is Aaron Carter.
    GLEE do not do this!

Comment by Holly Treadwell – January 8, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The problem isn’t the fact that it’s Beiber who is going to be on, it’s the fact that they keep doing these dumb tribute episodes that do nothing for the plot except sell more than the usual amount of songs on iTunes. These episodes do absolutely nothing for the show. And they usually focus on Will or Rachel (who’s character has seriously gone downhill since the start of season 2, IMO). Sure the Britney episode focused on Brittnay but the rest of the show was Will and Rachel. Have we even seen an actual Puck or Tina episode yet? I miss the old Glee. Please, Ryan Murphy, bring it back!

Comment by Ashley – January 8, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve stuck by Glee through everything it’s done so far ( good & bad )…but for the first time I have to say I will not be tuning in to watch. PLEASE DON’T DO THIS. Its already been going downhill fast enough , don’t alienate even more people!

Comment by anon – January 8, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry I won’t be watching that night. I plan to have something else to do. Anything!!! Besides, I’m out of barf bags.

Comment by Larc – January 8, 2011 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why?? I will probably skip this episode as I don’t know one of his songs (I’m not 10 years old!). So sad.

Comment by Liz – January 8, 2011 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!

Comment by Em – January 8, 2011 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh dear. If this is true (and considering the way Ryan Murphy is driving this season in to the ground, I don’t even doubt it) I quit. I’m not going to watch anymore. This is awful news.

Comment by Samantha – January 8, 2011 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glee is just making it less and less likely that I will watch.

Comment by Emgee – January 9, 2011 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this happens, I will stop watching Glee. And I don’t want to have to, because Klaine is what I live for. But I swear, if they do Bieber covers, or if It appears on the T.V. show, I will just stop watching it. I’ll be sorry to do it.

Comment by Could This Not Happen – January 8, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And…I’m done. Seriously? One more step toward the death of all things wonderful about Glee. This year has sucked & this just does it.

Comment by Kristen – January 8, 2011 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post