Exclusive: The Mind-Blowing Torchwood Twist No One Will See Coming

First up, here’s what we know about Torchwood‘s rapturously anticipated fourth season (airing stateside on Starz): It will have an extra- international flavor (including an extended stopover in L.A.), Bill Pullman has been cast as the Big Bad, and joining Captain Jack’s team full-time will be Mekhi Phfifer and Alexa Havins. But here’s what we don’t know: What it’ll be about! Well, put on your thinking caps and hold onto your hats.

The new season of Torchwood asks the provocative (and arguably horrifying) question, “What would happen if the entire human race became immortal?”

Now before you hand me over to the 456 for committing the ultimate injustice (impossible asterisk quizzes) know this: I’ll be filling in letters throughout the day, culminating with an all-out reveal right around 5:30 pm/ET — which, coincidentally, is around the time Torchwood boss Russell T. Davies will be meeting with reporters at the Television Critics Assoc. press tour to talk up (you guessed it) the new season.

So here’s what you do now: Start breaking down the riddle in the comments section, come back later (and later still) as I fill in the blanks, and then plant yourselves here at around 5:30 pm/ET for the full reveal and (hopefully) bonus details live from the Torchwood panel at TCA.

Oh, and one last thing: Said premise is going to make Torchwood: Children of the Earth look like mere child’s play. You thought that conceit was dark? Just wait.

THIS JUST IN FROM PRESS TOUR: “Not a single person on Earth dies” confirms Davies of the premise for the fourth season, which will bear the title Torchwood: Miracle Day. “The old stay old. It’s great news for some people, but globally it’s an instant population boom. Earth relies on people dying. Suddenly you’re affecting everyone on the planet. That’s where the Torchwood team comes in.”

Comments (190)

• “What *o*** ****** ** *** *****e ***** *a** ****** ********?”

Comment by Will – January 7, 2011 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “What could … “

Comment by megs – January 7, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What could ****** do (for?) *****e ***** *a** ****** ********?

Comment by Allison – January 7, 2011 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What would happen if the entire human race became immortal ?

Comment by Jordan – April 2, 2011 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hate that it is on Starz that I don’t get.

Comment by xforce11 – January 7, 2011 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • will also be on BBCAmerica

Comment by Myra – January 7, 2011 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Are you sure? I thought it was Starz in the US and BBC in the UK?

Comment by Jaymii – January 7, 2011 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I have not seen anything on secondary US broadcast rights. It’s way too soon to be considering such, though with the involvement of BBC Worldwide there’s the good chance you are right.

Comment by Joe B. – January 7, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Starz has the rights to broadcast the show in it’s original package for the United States. New episodes will not play on BBC America. Most cable companies offer Starz for about seven bucks a month.

Comment by Bob – January 7, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Easy for all to say, get Starz… $7.00 can be the difference on a bill like heat etc.

Comment by De – January 7, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you have Netflix streaming then the new Torchwood will probably be on it. Starz streams all of it’s tv shows. (Party Down, Gravity, Pillars of the Earth, etc)

Comment by bekkah – January 7, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you have Netflix, you have access to Starz programming. I also do not have Starz, but from what I’ve seen on Netflix it looks like episodes of their original programming go online fairly quickly. Hopefully that will still be the case come July or whenever Torchwood airs.

Comment by D – January 7, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would…. That is all I got so far. Sad, but true!

Comment by Kel – January 7, 2011 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok…the first word is “what” the seventh is “jack”

Comment by Steven Wooder – January 7, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What world orders is the …

Comment by Dragen – January 7, 2011 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would happen if the whole world *a** ****** ********?”

Comment by B – January 7, 2011 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • what would happen if the entire (it’s six letters) world……

Comment by vicky – January 7, 2011 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would happen if the something something Jack something something

Comment by vicky – January 7, 2011 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe “what would people do for…”?

Comment by kim – January 7, 2011 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would happen if the…?

Comment by TK – January 7, 2011 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How do you make a season that ended with Jack killing his Grandson to save the world look like “Child’s play”?

Comment by Mark – January 7, 2011 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would happen if (the?) *****e ***** *a** (Jack?) ****** ********?

I think the last word might end in “ing”.

Comment by Kat – January 7, 2011 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had thought it might be: “What Would happen if the entire world made Ianto Shrines”

But the last two words are a bit short. :p

Comment by Michael – January 7, 2011 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have you seen the Ianto shrine at Cardiff bay where the Torchwood entrance was filmed? Makes me miss his character a lot.

Comment by Emily – January 7, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get Starz. I hope that Directv doesn’t expect me pay to get Starz just because they won’t give us BBCHD. Torchwood is so much better in HD. I really love that show.

Comment by Al – January 7, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe “What would happen if the entire human race ****** ********?”

Comment by Ken – January 7, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was about to suggest the same thing.
      “what would happen if the entire human race…”

Comment by Gonzalo – January 7, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What I want to know is, will they still keep Captain Jack bisexual? Will he have a new guy love interest?

Comment by Jesse – January 7, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jack isn’t bisexual… he’s omnisexual. If it’s sentient… I don’t really see that changing, since it’s still the same production companies. And it’s airing on Starz, not Fox.

Comment by Karen MT – January 7, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “What Would happen if the entire human race became atheists?” fits, but I’m not sure how you’d spin a ten-hour show out of that.

Comment by Michael – January 7, 2011 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would happen if the entire human race became vampires?

Comment by sb – January 7, 2011 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • or canibals?

Comment by sb – January 7, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sb makes a lot of sense. Isn’t Pullman’s character supposed to be a cannibal himself?

Comment by Ramsey – January 7, 2011 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, no no. No. No vampires.

Comment by Joe B. – January 7, 2011 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know that other shows on Starz, “Spartacus” and “The Pillars of the Earth” specifically, have been made available the next week on Netflix streaming. I don’t have Starz either, so I am really hoping this will be the case with Torchwood too.

Comment by Vickie – January 7, 2011 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • (smacks himself in forehead)

They become MONSTERS.

Comment by Ramsey – January 7, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • given the explicit nature of the material, it makes sense it would be on Starz…

Comment by mrdhollins – January 7, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dammit Ausiello, now I’m terrified!

Comment by tracyjj50 – January 7, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would happen if the entire human race became immortal?

Comment by Sebastian – January 7, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I REALLY like this. I’m putting my bets on your answer, Sebastian.

Comment by Gonzalo – January 7, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • me too. Though that on it’s face doesn’t seem as dark as coE.

Comment by D – January 7, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That might make sense. Jack is immortal. Maybe some freak accident occurs that makes everyone on earth like Jack?

Comment by Lolly – January 7, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well done! Good call.

Comment by Michael – January 7, 2011 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would happen if the entire human race became immortal?

Comment by EdTV – January 7, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Crap Sebastian beat me to it.

Comment by EdTV – January 7, 2011 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • lol @ edTV…Great minds think along :-)

Comment by Sebastian – January 7, 2011 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ausiello, you are such a tease! But I still love ya! You keep me up on the lastest with my favorite shows. Can’t wait for 5:30!

Comment by Ebony – January 7, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK, it’s 1PM EST…Is this “later on” enough now? Hmmmm?

Comment by Celeste – January 7, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What could happen if the whole world..

Comment by Jan – January 7, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what could happen if the entire human race…

Comment by Jan – January 7, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just started watching torchwood refuns on BBC america. So far, too much like a soap opera, but I’ll keep giving it a chance. No matter, Captain Jack is bootylicious no matter who he’s boinking. Maybe when the reruns are over, it’ll be time to rerun the new episodes.

Comment by Lisa – January 7, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have you seen Children of Earth yet? Best of the show by far.

Comment by Emily – January 7, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SyFy had first rights to Doctor Who back when it first started airing in the US. It eventually went to BBC America after that. YOu may have to wait awhile, but since the BBC still has UK rights it will eventually end up on BBC America. We will probably have to go back to waiting months before they will show it however.

…. I wonder what the delay will be between UK and US airings? Last season it was 2 weeks. But I am hoping it will all get aired the same night like they FINALLY did with the Doctor Who XMAS episode this year! Crossing my fingers that this continues with season 6!!!!

Comment by Lolly – January 7, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do these shows have to be dark all the time? It seems to be the rave right now to make everything dark and dismal. I love TORCHWOOD, but it ticked me off that they kept killing off cast members that you learned to love and now to save the show they are doing it internationally which is okay, but Bill Pullman? Was that really necessary to the plots? Nothing against Bill, but this is a British show and to me, Bill’s character just doesn’t fit. But I am hanging in there since I am a fan and I hope they don’t screw the show up.

Comment by Lou Ann – January 7, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • fun to sit here and let all you einsteins work it out! ;)

immortal is good. vampires would be way fun (cross over with being human?)

does anyone know if they’ll be filming in the U.S.? was bummed i missed dr. who filming in utah. would love to visit tw location.

Comment by laura – January 7, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would happen if the entire human race should disappear?

Comment by Robbie – January 7, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ohhh very very good!

Comment by Liz_NYC – January 7, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Disappear is 9 letters so that can not be it

Comment by Danni – January 7, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would happen if the entire human race became infected?

Comment by David – January 7, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will not be watching. why do they have to ruin it by bringing it over to the U.S.? it’s a brit show, and I looked forward to the brit scenery. Ive seen the US in every cop show that’s been on since TV started! and now we’ll be getting american accents as well? you can’t tell me the move was economic – it’s gotta be way cheaper to film in the UK.

Comment by mary bradley – January 7, 2011 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think the BBC was willing to produce another series of “Torchwood” on their own. If they didn’t have a US partner, my impression is that “Torchwood” would be over.

Comment by ktwolf – January 7, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Its getting co-produced with BBC America and Starz, so it is more economic as I doubt either would be interested if it were still set in Cardiff/London (as CoE was)

I think it’ll be a lot to do with the plot as well – remember in CoE they needed to bring in the US gov anyways.
      Plus they are filming a fair bit in Cardiff still.

Comment by Fraser – January 7, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would happen if the entire human race —6— —-8—-
    6: should, became, ceased…
    8: immortal, cybermen, or ???

Comment by Danni – January 7, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ohhh, I like the option of “infected” for the last word

Comment by Danni – January 7, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would happen if the entire human race became diseased??

Comment by Vanessa – January 7, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saw interview with John Barrowman and Torchwood will only be on Starz channel. He will be filming in LA and Cardiff. Matter of fact he has moved to LA part time. Not sure what this new series will be like considering the old shows were awesome, however, hoping new Torchwood will be superb.

Comment by Cathy – January 7, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Torchwood was the highest rated show on BBC America. There is no way they are giving that up even if they are stuck with syndication.

Maybe there is no planned release to BBCA but that doesnt mean it won’t happen

Comment by Lolly – January 7, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “what would happen if the entire human race became abducted?”

Comment by Lars BR – January 7, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “what would happen if the entire human race became American?”

Comment by sb – January 7, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s definitely “What would happen if the entire human race became immortal”. It fits the hint that its a provocative and ARGUABLY horrifying premise. (no one would argue that ‘infected’, ‘monsters’, or ‘american’ are completely horrifying)

Comment by Jennifer – January 7, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that would be a sad, sad day… ;)

Comment by Erin – January 7, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would happen if the entire human race vanished?

Comment by Magz – January 7, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Vanished” IS 8 letters but this sentence lacks the 6 letter word after “race”

Comment by Danni – January 7, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops – missed a word… :)

Comment by Magz – January 7, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “What would happen if the entire human race became HANDSOME?”

Answer: Jack would suddenly be very, very busy.

Comment by Melhael – January 7, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guys, it is so obvious:

What would happen if the corpse Ianto made nachos sexually?

Comment by Rakey – January 7, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nothing wonderful to add, except you all made me laugh today and I really appreciate it. Looking forward to Torchwood returning!

Comment by Rena – January 7, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would happen if the entire….. that is all I’ve got

Comment by Kyle S. – January 7, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would happen if the entire human race simply vanished?

Comment by Anna – January 7, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “What would happen if the entire human race became immortal?”

Comment by James – January 7, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “What would happen if the entire human race…” blank blank?!

I need more eletters lol. what would happen if the entire human race WHAT! went extinct? disappeared? did the funky chicken at the same time?

Comment by Kasie J – January 7, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would happen if the entire human race “became vampires”, as someone else mentioned?
    :( I would feel extremely disappointed in RTD, that’s for sure. Blood suckers are such a ubiquitous cliche, now…I really hope he isn’t going down that road with this…

I tried extinct and endangered…one is too short, the other too long. :/

Comment by WeyMama – January 7, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post