Scoop: Sparactus Will Live On... With Liam McIntyre in the Title Role?

Starz may be close to finding its new Sparactus.

Sources confirm to me exclusively that Liam McIntyre has once again emerged as the frontrunner to succeed Andy Whitfield as the title character in the second season of Starz’ Spartacus: Blood and Sand.

The Aussie actor has been undergoing intensive training in the past month to prepare for the physically demanding role.

At the Television Critics Assoc. press tour today, Starz president Chris Albrecht confirmed that the network was proceeding with a second season, but added, “We don’t have casting news for you today, but are confident that we [will find an actor] who can ably step into Spartacus’ sandals — although we will never be able to replace Andy Whitfield.”

1. Sue says:

Any updated on Andy Whitfield’s condition?

2. John Grose says:

I’m glad to hear it. There’s not enough nudity on TV. – John

3. Maro says:

Lame!!!! I love this show but I have not been able to see any of the current or past “frontrunners” filling this role. Can you maybe give us a chance to cast??? Ridiculous I know but it could be worst…. We can pick one of the “frontrunners”

4. jax1341 says:

I have been watching season 1 through Netflix and the last dvd is waiting for me today! I LOVE the show but I cannot picture anyone else in the role. No offense to the actor pictured above but YIKES, that’s the frontrunner?!?! Please continue the search. I’m not too familiar with Andy Whitfields condition but if a prequel series is next why can’t they wait?

• sweet says:

The prequel was the wait from Andy’s first round of cancer. It cancer came back a 2nd time and the treatment isn’t as easy. I too would like to hear how Andy is doing.

• Emily says:

From what I heard, Andy chose to leave when the cancer came back because he wanted to focus on treatment and allow everyone else continue to work on Spartacus.

But I am reluctant to see someone else taking on the role considering how amazing Andy was.

• kathyl says:

why would you get the dvds when you can watch it instantly?

• Bazinga! says:

@Amber – thanks for sharing the link. Hopefully Andy’s true prognosis is as positive as the article implies.

5. Sparactus says:

I’m Sparactus!!.

6. xav says:

You realize you’ve spelled ‘Spartacus’ wrong in the title, in the article and in the URL, right? Spellcheck, spellcheck, spellcheck.

7. onesock says:

Think I am abit sick; I am watching the series for the 3rd time!! But Andy; he is the man. He took the audience with him growing into Spartacus and maintaining the man’s heroism. I want Vara, (right, his best friend) back as well; it was dramatic to kil him, but far too soon. I really liked their friendship.

8. Spellcheck says:

I am Spellcheck!!!

9. gillen says:

yeah andy is indeed the only one. why not spin it around and go with a new character. it felt stupid to replace him (for me anyway). everyone will be comparing the actors and comparison mostly leads to floop

10. Anon. says:

Just so you guys all know, Liam McIntyre no longer looks like the skinny guy pictured above, this was a photo from another role where he had to lose weight and muscle. He has bulked up with the training provided and is looking GREAT and ready to fill those warrior shoes! You may be right that no one can fill Andy’s sandals in this role, but Liam is the closest thing to it, and will reinvent this character to new heights. Just wait a year, and everyone will know the name Liam McIntyre. Those are words to take to the bank. We are all rooting for you Liam!

11. gowd says:

“Michelle Ausilo”, you spelled Spartacus incorrectly!