Will Katy Perry Spoil a HIMYM Romance?

Pop tart Katy Perry is bringing her considerable assets to CBS’s How I Met Your Mother, playing a potential love interest for one of the main characters.

The California Gurl will appear in an upcoming episode of the sitcom as the beautiful and naïve cousin of Jennifer Morrison’s Zoey. And since CBS is billing Perry’s character — whom the gang (affectionately?) dubs “Honey” — as a possible love interest for Ted, it’d seem that Mr. Mosby’s nascent romance with the lovely architecture advocate is due for some sort of detour.

RELATED: The Story Behind HIMYM‘s Very Sad Dad Twist

“There will be some interesting plot developments,” HIMYM cocreator Carter Bays told TVLine this week, previewing what’s to come for Ted and Zoey. “Their relationship continues to get more and more complicated. There are a lot of twists coming.”

RELATED: Soap Opera Vet Fires Back At HIMYM Star Over ‘D-Bag’ Comment

Perry’s only previous acting-ish work has been a snuffed appearance on Sesame Street, a saucy Simpsons stop-by and the voice of Smurfette in the upcoming motion picture about some silly blue, animated kiddie show characters.

Hold on, HR wants to see me….

1. Serves says:

“Perry’s only previous acting-ish work has been a snuffed appearance on Sesame Street and the voice of Smurfette…”

And Simpsons

2. Danny says:

I don’t know… weren’t there any other actresses?

3. Rolfe says:

HIMYM doesn’t need to stunt cast anymore. The Britney Spears casting was great, both for buzz for the show and for Britney fans, but do we really need another pop star on this show? I don’t think so.

• Chiana says:

I’d rather see her husband on the show – Jason and Russell together again! Plus, her mismatched eyes are freaking me out.

4. Josh T. says:

Ugh… MORE stunt casting?! Seasons 1-3 were among my favorite TV ever. But this show is slowly going the way of Will & Grace. (Both this show AND that one stunt cast JLo, btw.)

5. Esaul says:

Meh. I’m concerned about Katy’s appearance in HIMYM. I’ve never seen her act, so it should be interesting.

6. Paul says:

I am so disappointed with the show it has become a DVR catch and watch if I have the time show. Unfortunately I own 5 seasons on DVD (2 were gifts and still unopened). I agree seasons 1-3 were great but the stunt casting, Marshal and Ted have become annoying and the laugh track…OMG it has gotten out of control! What else, hmm the storyline drop-offs (yellow umbrella, goat) and the pairing of the really only funny person on the show – Barney with Robin (jump the shark). I say introduce the mom already and then play off the relationship building up to the wedding day and give the show new life…quit dragging it out.

7. Sfields says:

Perry was also on SNL in a sketch! And she was only half-bad, just like the show this season.

8. Trish says:

Katy Perry’s appearance will prolly give the Ted/Zoey thing a kick-start, they’ll figure out that they really like each other. And the Smurf diss? Are you craycray? ;)

9. Scott says:

Give Katy Perry a chance. Britney Spears’s 2 episodes weren’t actually that bad, as anyone who saw her appearance on Will and Grace will have said so at the time. I’m sure she’ll do ok regardless of whether she’s a one-off for either Ted or Barney.

Speaking of Barney, although she’s on HIMYM because of her connection to the Smurf movie which also stars Neil Patrick Harris, anything which could get Russell Brand on the show to team up again with Jason Segel (Forgetting Sarah Marshall, if anyone had forgotten) has to be good, surely?

10. Lisa says:

Does anyone else notice the facial similarities between Perry and the future daughter?? However, since they describe her as naive, I wouldn’t think she would be THE ONE- Ted would want someone wiser.

11. Mitchell says:

Matt – please don’t insult Michael’s little blue friends, we want you to keep your job :)

12. toast says:

I’m just hoping it’s Barney. Ted’s become a real douchebag.

• b says:

I think the douchiness has lightened up this season (last season it was unbearable), but if this or anything else actually pushes him in the direction of a relationship with a married woman (Zoey) then he’ll be lost in doucheland forever.

13. Bill says:

Who cares about any of Ted’s “love interests” if they’re not the titular “Mother?”

I don’t want to see Ted with Zoey or with Perry, we want to know who’s ankle that is, the woman with the yellow umbrella.

Other relationships just seem like filler because the series keeps getting renewed and we can’t find out who the Mother is until the last episode. :(