TVLine Items: More Idol Changes Ahead, And Other TV News To Know

Believe it or not, glam goddess Jennifer Lopez is one of the smaller changes on American Idol‘s tweaked 10th season.

No, really. J.Lo is big, but Fox’s musical megahit has undergone a facelift so severe, our beloved Idol is almost unrecognizable. Here’s what we’ve read about that, and some other TV news stories that are out there.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, there are eight big changes afoot over on Idol, including a new set, an online voting system (finally!) and an Idol mansion.

Also new to the series will be quicker eliminations early in the season (no more Top 25), theme weeks customized to each contestant, original songs, faster music releases to the general public, and potential music videos (though, if they’re anything like those cheesy Ford promo videos, we politely say: No, thanks!).

Want more TV news? Here’s a few other stories that we came across during our web surfing:

• Fresh off his Seinfeld reunion stint on Curb Your Enthusiasm, Jason Alexander will drop by TNT’s new legal series Franklin & Bash as a Bernie Madoff kinda guy, reports TV Guide.

• Per EW.com, onetime TLC special Extreme Couponing has been given 12-episode series order. For the frugal folk in us all.

• Brooke Penelope Davis is finally getting hitched, but first there’s the matter of the bachelorette party — One Tree Hill-style. Take a peek at the fun, courtesy of Zap2it.

TV Guide Magazine is reporting that Syfy’s Battlestar Galactica prequel, Blood & Chrome, has begun casting. Get excited!

Which TVLine Items do you want to talk about today? Hit Comments!

1. Thom says:

None actually. I don’t watch any of these.

2. Andie says:

Why is there an AI article on this website not written by Slezak?!

3. Hillary says:

Your AI scoop doesn’t match up with an article I read on ew.com earlier this week. From what I remember, online voting was unlikely and there wouldn’t be any music videos…

4. Esaul says:

Well if you reread the article, Hillary, you will notice the key word potential. Potential doesn’t mean there WILL be music videos. It means that there is a possibility that there will be. And additionally, EW’s article, which I’ve read too, wasn’t very detailed compared to this one with the changes. And I’m not a huge fan of EW anymore, so I’m going elsewhere for sources.

• Hillary says:

Haha! Fair enough, Esaul. Did you read the article where they interviewed Ken Warwick? That’s the one I’m talking about and it very clearly says there won’t be music videos. Mostly, I was just curious if the AI producers had changed their minds on that. I think a music video challenge (NOT THE FORD COMMERCIALS)would be interesting.

• gillen says:

ryt a video challenge will surely hyp the program. but the overdose of changes makes me feel AI should change its title. it would feel like watching another program while it retains its name.

5. Cathie says:

I think online voting on American Idol would be great. I don’t like the texting and calling. Always busy. In 9 years I’ve been unable to get through, Love this idea. Updating the show a little is also a good idea. I wish the singers couldn’t hide behind their guitars though. I thought Crystal and Lee were BORING ENTERTAINERS. Need to interact and move around.

6. toast says:

The IDOL Mansion? Ugh… pass.

Great to hear Jason Alexander is still getting roles!