Exclusive: Fringe Spoilers, But There's a Twist…

Get More: Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

… they’re hidden in an independent record store near you!

Allow me to explain: In Fringe‘s Jan. 21 episode (its first in its new Friday time slot), Walter comes face-to-face with his musical hero — the keyboardist for the ’70s band Violet Sedan Chair, Roscoe Joyce, played by Christopher Lloyd (Back to the Future).

As a genius tie-in, producers created a vinyl album for the group titled Seven Suns and shipped it to select independent record outlets nationwide. “They’ve been in stores for a couple of months now,” says a show insider.

The best part: Each individual album is different, including specific spoilers and clues about the show embedded in the lyrics (and possibly elsewhere). “They all have unique properties,” says the source.

Now fans just have to find the stores that carry the album. Well, that and figure out who are the real musicians behind the faux group. Says the insider: “We’re keeping that a secret for now.” (Sure, now they decide to be tight-lipped!)

Anyway, Fringe fans, that’s your mission, should you choose to accept it. Find those albums — and email me pics and intel at askausiello@tvline.com! Hurry!

Comments (56)

• What a cool idea! I wonder if the spoilers are any good if if it’s just a ploy to make money.

Comment by Kelly – January 6, 2011 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why wouldn’t these ‘special’ vinyl platters be MOSTLY in Boston?? Maybe even in the HARVARD Book Store??

Comment by W Gutches – January 7, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • BOO HARVARD! Dont they get enough?!

Comment by Vagenda – January 7, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At the very least, this might edumicate young’uns on where they can find their local vinyl vendor. Maybe during their visit, they’ll even see a TURNTABLE in person!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 6, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol…Well said.

Comment by Apostate – January 7, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. well said

Comment by Dianne – January 18, 2011 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I’m going to have to take a trip to the record store this weekend!

Comment by Dee – January 6, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …in record stores nationwide!! Why oh why not world wide? Fringe has obsessed fans overseas too!! Im crying just a little…im a vinyl collector AND a FRINGE freak! aaaggghhhh!

Comment by runpaceyrun – January 6, 2011 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Aww man :(
      I live overseas :(

Comment by Perry – January 6, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Travel all up and down California every day just for fun. Make me am offer and we can work out some details and I will send you pictures to confirm your order then send fed ex to you. Gotta make it worth my while though :-$ hit me up anyone who’s intrested. Cassandrav29@yahoo.com

Comment by RocStar Baby – January 6, 2011 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HELL YA UR RIGHT

Comment by Joud Belal – January 7, 2011 03:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I contacted my local record store and they couldn’t find it.

Comment by Steve Blank – January 6, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tried calling all of the vinyl stores in Tulsa, OK and did not have any luck. Hopefully SOMEBODY finds them and can post it online. Good luck.

Comment by Aaron – January 6, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • dont forget to play it backwards :P

Comment by bob – January 6, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going hunting soon :)

Comment by Rachel – January 6, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m gonna have to take a look. Definitely something worth buying.

Comment by toast – January 6, 2011 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I live in Brazil. I wanted to get one vinyl too!

Comment by Anderson – January 6, 2011 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me Too Anderson. So sad we can’t get our hands on it! Muito triste mesmo!

Comment by Aline – January 20, 2011 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that is just too much work….

Comment by Nicole – January 6, 2011 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please oh please, ship it worldwide! You have a lot more fans than US alone!

Comment by Josh Paraiso – January 6, 2011 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it January 21 yet?

Comment by KC – January 6, 2011 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a huge Fringe Fan, and a young hippie, lol I must find a record. All my local stores in my large city & around, do not have a clue.
    COULD I BE ASKING FOR THE WRONG ITEM? Maybe there is a secret code in an old typewriter repair shop somewhere?

Comment by AnnaBanana – January 6, 2011 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • vinyl records AND typewriters… man… next we’ll be out searching for passenger pigeons and those bicycles with the one big wheel and one little wheel. ;)

Comment by Samantha – January 8, 2011 01:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I can finally justify buying a record player.

Comment by Keith – January 6, 2011 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There has to be one in Jacksonville, Florida. I mean how can there not be one in the place in which Walter Bishop and William Bell did the children research project. needless to say it was where Olivia first crossed to the other side on her own for the first time!.

Comment by jacksonville guy – January 6, 2011 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband and I are avid Fringe Fans. Seems likely that Walter seems to find all his answers at Harvard. It might be likely that MA is the place to look… could be near the campus, possibly the nearest vinyl record store.

Comment by Kate – January 6, 2011 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The vinyl album was made for the group The Seven Suns. There were ancient religions referring to the Seven Suns as apocalyptic. Some say that the Seven Seals in Revelations, in the Bible, derive from the same ancient religions. Even the Buddhist references it as the end times. “And so born out of an untrained perception of life, thirst (tanha) grows into conceit (mana) and conceit meshes into views (ditthi) which sooner or later clash with reality.” The way I take that is our “thirst”, the need to learn, achieve, and obtain clouds our vision, and will end up hitting us like a ton of bricks. Just like Walter, having his thoughts clouded by the death of Peter. He had the chance to steal alternate Peter and did it, because he could, thereby bringing about the beginning to the end.

Comment by mike – January 6, 2011 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe just keeps getting better and better, great idea!

Comment by Alli – January 7, 2011 03:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I miss the days of excitnent around TGIF lineups as a kid, it seems Friday nights are where shows go to die in at least the last decade. Anyone else worried about the fate of fringe? The timing of the transition stokes me as strange as well because I’ve seen more marketing and hype around this show lately then the rest of the series cumulatively. As for the record, it would take a lot of time to hit up indep. Record stores in chicago, which would be less challenging if it weren’t also so cold!! Neat promotion plan to get people into indep. stores-I’m impressed. Now if only people knew about it…

Comment by Tabitha – January 7, 2011 04:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Holy spelling errors, Batman!! The joy of a touch keyboard at 6am. “excitement” of past TGIF and “strikes” me as strange.

Comment by Tabitha – January 7, 2011 04:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am also worried that a show moving to Friday will mean its demise.
      I was a fan of Ghost Whisperer on Fridays and it did not last long.
      (enough). It does seem that they are “upping” the marketing. We need
      to do it as well by talking it up to our friends to keep the show on
      the air.

Comment by karen – January 9, 2011 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • fringe is one of my top 5 shows right now, but i dont live near any record stores! anybody know of any in the central iowa area?

Comment by benji – January 7, 2011 05:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Anne – January 7, 2011 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Anne – January 7, 2011 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m leaving for DC Saturday. I’ve made a list of EVERY record store between home and DC and plan on checking every single one of them out. I hope to find Violet Sedan Chair somewhere in the 221 stores, if not I’m guaranteed to take an amazing trip down memory lane. Loving that Fringe producers did this!!!

Comment by Anne – January 7, 2011 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have not owned a vinyl record album since I outgrew the need of the covers to roll on.

Comment by Jersey Jeff – January 7, 2011 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The band’s name is VIOLET SEDAN CHAIR. The album name is SEVEN SUNS.

Comment by martisco – January 7, 2011 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My mistake. I realized it as soon as you posted.

Comment by mike – January 7, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has anyone found one yet? This is such a great idea!

Comment by Christy – January 7, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • VIOLET SEDAN CHAIR = OLIVE CAN READ THIS

Comment by Allen Klosowski – January 7, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nicely done! *impressed*

Comment by Samantha – January 8, 2011 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Indianapolis area is turning up nothing as well. Boooooo!

Comment by Chris – January 7, 2011 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dunno where the records are located, but I think it’s pretty likely one of the musicians is Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready, who has done music for the show before.

Comment by Bala – January 7, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So how many copies of these albums are there out there? The story doesn’t say. Are we talking 7? 70? 700?

Comment by Bala – January 7, 2011 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With the number of people who’ve been combing and calling record stores nationwide over the past 24 hours, and coming up with nothing, I’m inclined to think these albums will not appear on shelves until after the episode airs on January 21.

Did Ausiello jump the gun here?

Comment by FVS – January 7, 2011 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hear that if you listen to that album during the end of the world, they totally synch up… and you get a mad craving for cheese doodles.

Comment by Samantha – January 8, 2011 01:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hang on, I just double checked that… that doesn’t work… that would be OLIVIA CAN RED THES. Close… sorta…

Comment by Samantha – January 8, 2011 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • … hey, but “OLIVE CAN READ THIS” does work… ah… okay. Sorry about that, I am back to impressed!

Comment by Samantha – January 8, 2011 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, is this another bogus “scoop” like the Justin Bieber/Glee one, Ausiello? Nobody has located this thing anywhere.

We get it… you’re trying to launch an entertainment website. Stop jerking the fans around trying to get hits.

Comment by Dan – January 9, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anagram fun

A Cantilevered Vine Shuns SOS
    A Deliverance Shoves Tin Suns
    A Chastened Olive Versus Inns
    Olivia Crashed Unseens Vents

Comment by beck – January 10, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we get an update on this? It’s been several days and nothing.

Comment by Denise – January 11, 2011 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is super cool. Why I love Fringe!

Comment by irg19 – January 11, 2011 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, so this may be wrong, but it is totally cool nevertheless:

VIOLET SEDAN CHAIR SEVEN SUNS = OLIVE’S ENTRANCE SAVED HIS SUN.

Perhaps it means that Peter would have died if Olivia hadn’t returned but since she came back, Peter won’t die!

Comment by Gretchen – January 19, 2011 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my God, that’s awesome. Hope you’re right!!

Comment by Aline – January 20, 2011 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found a story that said one was found in Seattle. I’ve been searching her in the midwest with no luck…. I wonder how many there are…

Comment by Heather – January 22, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PS: I tried searching with an “advanced search”. Exact phrase: “Violet Sedan Chair”. Some things I found go back to 2009! Shades of the so-called “secret messages” on Beatles or Pink Floyd records of yore! Fun!

Comment by Bill Burns – January 6, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post