Ratings: Did Paula's Dance Show Step Lively?

CBS’s Live To Dance, featuring Idol alum Paula Abdul, got off on the right foot in its Tuesday debut, topping both the 8 and 9 o’clock hours in total viewers (with an average of 10.23 million).

The Biggest Loser: Couples, however, stepped on Paula’s toes by dominating the demos with its own two-hour premiere — despite dropping 25 percent (8.74 million total viewers) from its year-ago opener.

Elsewhere on Tuesday night, as TV continued its return from the winter doldrums:

• At 8 pm, No Ordinary Family placed third in total viewers (6.75 mil) and the demos, enjoying a small uptick from its last new episode.

• The Season 2 arrival of ABC’s V was understandably down sharply from the series premiere. But versus the Season 1 finale, it was up 12 percent in total viewers (6.6 mil) and on par in the demos.

• Opposite a well-performing NCIS repeat (which led the night with 10.28 million viewers), Parenthood saw a 34 percent gain in audience (6 mil) and a 21 percent bump in the demos. Bravo, Bravermans!

Did you check out any of Tuesday’s big premieres or returns?

Comments (19)

• Well if the rest of V’s season is like the premier, then I hope its consistent/rises in its ratings enough to keep going at least to finish out this season. It was a great episode, and this is from someone who really struggled through most of the first season.

Comment by Zach – January 5, 2011 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did not like Paula’s new show. It seemed very scripted!

Comment by Ms_Persephone – January 5, 2011 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to say, I found Paula’s new show boring as hell, I found myself changing channels at almost any opportunity, and by the time the beginning of the 2nd hour rolled around, I was watching something else all together.

V was AWESOME!! Hopefully ABC will give the show a chance to continue to build an audience.

Comment by Jesse – January 5, 2011 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is pretty promising for Parenthood. The show seems to have been on a ratings upswing all year, so this might be yet another signal to NBC that they’ve got something worth cultivating. Now we’ll see how it holds up Monday nights.

Comment by Johnny D – January 5, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Parenthood! I have last night’s episode on DVR (I was not home, so I know I’m part of the reason the ratings aren’t as high as they could be), but I am a fan of the show and I hope they can start hooking in a bigger audience!

Comment by Heather – January 5, 2011 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My wife had to make a choice – The Biggest Loser or Live to Dance. Luckily for me, she chose The Biggest Loser. Our DVR is currently not working, so she couldn’t record the other one.

Comment by Harley Jane – January 5, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, Parenthood! One of the best casts out there. Awesomesauce.

Comment by Trish – January 5, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • V exceeded expectations! Hope to see more from that show please ABC!

Comment by Kenja – January 5, 2011 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see Parenthood’s ratings improve…I just wish it had been a better episode.

Comment by Buffy Freak – January 5, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ummm, what? The episode was amazing!!! Yay, Parenthood! I loved everything about it’s return last night.

Comment by Cara – January 5, 2011 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope No Ordinary Family has a ratings increase. It is one of the few shows my son and I watch together. He looks forward to staying up a little late and watching it weekly.

Comment by Heather – January 5, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the premier of Live to Dance. The show had me emotional the whole time. I’m with Zach above, and hope V continues to get better as the season progresses. I don’t want to see the show go the way of “The Gates” and other sci-fi/fantasy shows.

Comment by Hector – January 5, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really liked Live to Dance. I thought I could go back and forth from the real life struggles and dedication of the dancers looking for a break and the lizards of V. I could not. I will stick with Live to Dance and enjoy lifes ups and downs as portrayed by honest people living out a dream. Thanks Live to Dance. Yes, I cried a bit, but I sure as heck smiled and clapped a lot more. ;)

Comment by enoughenoughnow! – January 5, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, Live to Dance was TERRIBLE. It was so cloying and needy. I felt like I was watching a stranger crying in public the entire time. It was super off putting.

Comment by Chance – January 5, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. And it felt very late ’90s cable tv like. I’m embarrassed for all of them.

Comment by Stacey – January 5, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hated Live to Dance, I will be completely shocked if it keeps up the numbers.

Comment by SaraK – January 5, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad to see the Bravermans back on my tv screen — they have been gone for far too long!! One of the best ensembles on television today!

Comment by Joann – January 5, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that V actually had a really great returning episode. I think it took the time to work out its kinks because it definitely came back with a strong, well paced episode. I’m curious to know how Southland did on its return. It’s been a long time since it’s been on and the new TNT-produced premiere episode was fantastic.

Comment by tvgirl48 – January 5, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really glad Parenthood did well because it is a really good show. Missed it being on because it deals with real family problems and flawed normal people. Good show always.

Comment by dlferriola – January 7, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post