Exclusive: J.J. Abrams Eyes Pulp Fiction Series

While it’s not exactly Pulp Fiction, it sounds a lot like it — beginning with the title.

Sources confirm to me exclusively that J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot is developing Pulp, an hour-long crime drama set in a slightly heightened reality, a-la Pulp Fiction.

Longtime Abrams collaborators Monica Breen and Alison Schapker penned the script and would serve as exec producers. The former Brothers & Sisters showrunners previously worked with Abrams on Alias, Lost, and most recently, Fringe.

Bad Robot will begin shopping Pulp to the networks as early as next week. It caps a busy development season for Abrams’ Warner Bros.-based company, which currently has projects in contention at CBS (crime thriller from Jonah Nolan), Fox (the drama Alcatraz), and NBC (the Michael Emerson-Terry O’Quinn comedic drama Odd Jobs).

1. Michael says:

Man, I wish I could crank series out like JJ Abrams. I’ve never watched any of his shows. Unfortunately, I don’t like Lost (cue hate mail); I didn’t care enough for Undercovers; and I JUST started on Fringe… which I do like. Hope this one’s good, too :D

2. Sheindie says:

sure hope it’s not being shopped to nbc or fox! …. it’ll fail or be cancelled.

3. Shane says:

Hey Michael — bit of a typo. The one at CBS isn’t from Chris Nolan, but rather his brother…

4. Mooshki says:

I hope he was inspired by ‘Kiss Kiss Bang Bang!’

5. Mikail says:

I see you’ve brought your old habbits back with sensacionalistic titles.
    title: ABRAMS REMAKING PULP FICTION!!!!
    story: well, no, not really.

6. Jaymii says:

People really are going to have stop with the JJ Abrams business. He’s gone way beyond the Joss Whedon-type one-project stuff and is just a regular producer now-a-days.

• Paul says:

He’s just trying to help his colleagues develop their own shows. What’s wrong with that?

• rip van winkle says:

There’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just that it’s not really worth getting all worked up when you see JJ Abrams on a project anymore. He’s a producer, and he doesn’t have direct involvement with most of these shows.

When you see Joss’s name on a project he’s always been very involved with the project. That doesn’t make him any better than JJ Abrams, it’s just that Abrams has become a big TV producer.

• Paul says:

Sure. He obviously has a different career than Joss, but I don’t agree that “people really are going to have to stop with the JJ Abrams business” as @Jaymii put it.

7. amy says:

Anything JJ puts on, I’ll give a try. He’s hit or miss, but when he hits, he turns out some of the best shows ever.

8. fm says:

Fringe is honestly the best show on tv (for me, lol) especially if you like sci fi, characters, secrets, and jj abrams fascinating mind. the writers blew it on LOST at the end, despite a terrific Finale, hope they don’t screw this one.

9. DanielF23 says:

Breen and Schapker’s writing rocks; I do hope this one gets picked up!

10. liz says:

I like Fringe,so will see this

11. Aww, very first post–and you stole my joke! I wanted it to be a show about Jarvis Cocker walking around a supermarket, I don’t know why but I had to start it somewhere.