Exclusive: J.J. Abrams Eyes Pulp Fiction Series

Get More: News, Scoop

While it’s not exactly Pulp Fiction, it sounds a lot like it — beginning with the title.

Sources confirm to me exclusively that J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot is developing Pulp, an hour-long crime drama set in a slightly heightened reality, a-la Pulp Fiction.

Longtime Abrams collaborators Monica Breen and Alison Schapker penned the script and would serve as exec producers. The former Brothers & Sisters showrunners previously worked with Abrams on Alias, Lost, and most recently, Fringe.

Bad Robot will begin shopping Pulp to the networks as early as next week. It caps a busy development season for Abrams’ Warner Bros.-based company, which currently has projects in contention at CBS (crime thriller from Jonah Nolan), Fox (the drama Alcatraz), and NBC (the Michael Emerson-Terry O’Quinn comedic drama Odd Jobs).

Tags: ,

Comments (15)

• Man, I wish I could crank series out like JJ Abrams. I’ve never watched any of his shows. Unfortunately, I don’t like Lost (cue hate mail); I didn’t care enough for Undercovers; and I JUST started on Fringe… which I do like. Hope this one’s good, too :D

Comment by Michael – January 5, 2011 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sure hope it’s not being shopped to nbc or fox! …. it’ll fail or be cancelled.

Comment by Sheindie – January 5, 2011 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey Michael — bit of a typo. The one at CBS isn’t from Chris Nolan, but rather his brother…

Comment by Shane – January 5, 2011 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he was inspired by ‘Kiss Kiss Bang Bang!’

Comment by Mooshki – January 5, 2011 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I see you’ve brought your old habbits back with sensacionalistic titles.
    title: ABRAMS REMAKING PULP FICTION!!!!
    story: well, no, not really.

Comment by Mikail – January 6, 2011 04:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That doesn’t even make sense.

Comment by Kelly – January 6, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People really are going to have stop with the JJ Abrams business. He’s gone way beyond the Joss Whedon-type one-project stuff and is just a regular producer now-a-days.

Comment by Jaymii – January 6, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s just trying to help his colleagues develop their own shows. What’s wrong with that?

Comment by Paul – January 6, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just that it’s not really worth getting all worked up when you see JJ Abrams on a project anymore. He’s a producer, and he doesn’t have direct involvement with most of these shows.

When you see Joss’s name on a project he’s always been very involved with the project. That doesn’t make him any better than JJ Abrams, it’s just that Abrams has become a big TV producer.

Comment by rip van winkle – January 6, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sure. He obviously has a different career than Joss, but I don’t agree that “people really are going to have to stop with the JJ Abrams business” as @Jaymii put it.

Comment by Paul – January 6, 2011 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anything JJ puts on, I’ll give a try. He’s hit or miss, but when he hits, he turns out some of the best shows ever.

Comment by amy – January 6, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe is honestly the best show on tv (for me, lol) especially if you like sci fi, characters, secrets, and jj abrams fascinating mind. the writers blew it on LOST at the end, despite a terrific Finale, hope they don’t screw this one.

Comment by fm – January 6, 2011 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breen and Schapker’s writing rocks; I do hope this one gets picked up!

Comment by DanielF23 – January 7, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Fringe,so will see this

Comment by liz – January 7, 2011 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww, very first post–and you stole my joke! I wanted it to be a show about Jarvis Cocker walking around a supermarket, I don’t know why but I had to start it somewhere.

Comment by discount theatre tickets – January 12, 2011 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post