The Good Wife: 6 Burning Questions Answered

For fans of The Good Wife, it’s three weeks down and one more to go until CBS’ acclaimed drama – which recently netted new Golden Globe and SAG Award noms – resumes its sophomore run.

What’s next for TV’s most intense romantic triangle? What’s the dirt on the new dirt-digger to get in Kalinda’s way? And when exactly will the state’s attorney election be held…? As this season’s 10th episode nears, Robert King (who created the series with his wife Michelle King) gave TVLine the answers to those burning questions and others.

WHEN WILL PETER’S FATE BE DECIDED? | As deliciously twisty and turny as Peter’s road to political redemption has been, we have to wonder: Exactly when are elections held in The Good Wife‘s version of Chicago? “We moved it back a little because we were having so much fun with Anika [Noni Rose] and Titus [Welliver]” as campaign rivals Wendy Scott-Carr and Glenn Childs, King explains. As it now stands, Election Day will arrive “a little later than we thought, which was the 14th episode – but not by much.”

WHAT’S THE SCOOP ON THE NEW SNOOP? | Lockhart, Gardner & Bond’s one-two punch of Kalinda and Blake will gain a new foe when Cary recruits a top-shelf snoop of his own. “Tim Guinee (Lie To Me) has the very funny part of Wiley, a stay-at-home dad who is dragged back into being an investigator for the state’s attorney,” says King. “It’s as if Columbo had an 18-month-old.” With the power of Childs’ office behind him, Wiley will for certain “be a threat to Kalinda and Blake. These three could hurt and help each other in so many different ways.”

RELATED: Good Wife Boss Shares Secrets To Show’s Success

WHAT’S UP WITH KALINDA’S LOVE LIFE? | New competition isn’t all Kalinda (Emmy winner Archie Panjabi) has coming her way. FBI agent Lana Delaney (played by Royal Pains‘ Jill Flint), who was last seen in the Season 1 finale getting (ahem) close with Ms. Sharma outside a self-storage unit, is slated to make another appearance. Says King, “We love bringing people back when you least expect it.”

WILL ALICIA BE OUT-FOX’D AGAIN? | Almost immediately off his first turn as the crafty Louis Canning, Michael J. Fox was booked for an encore in Episode 13, when Alicia (Julianna Margulies) and her neurologically impaired nemesis cross paths on an Erin Brockovich-style class-action case. As with the twosome’s first face-off, “It’s not clear whether Louis is a bad guy or a good guy,” King teases.

RELATED: Good Wife Status Update: Social Network Episode Coming!

WHO WILL ALICIA CHOOSE? (PART 1) | A lesser show would have been content to base its season finale around Diane’s plan to start up her own firm – thus prompting Alicia to pick a side, and in doing so choose to stay close to or distance herself away from Will. But The Good Wife will play that card much sooner than May sweeps. “You’ll find that moving a little faster,” says King. Specifically, that arc really gains steam with the Jan. 11 episode.

WHO WILL ALICIA CHOOSE? (PART 2) | Alicia has had little time to act on the information she culled from the FBI wire tap – that Will (Josh Charles) perhaps did try harder to woo her away from Peter during the events of the Season 1 finale – and thus far has only put in a request to have a “moment” to “talk.” Muddying matters is the fact that Will now is rounding the bases with sportswriter Tammy (played by Elizabeth Reaser). “Will seems to be in a very serious, growing relationship, so what is [Alicia] going to do with this new information?” King posits. “She hates that missed connection. She wants to complete that connection.” TVLine hears that once Alicia does go fishing, she will hit an unexpected detour — and that could lead her to take crafty measures toward flushing out the truth!

The Good Wife returns with fresh episodes on Tuesday, January 11, at 10/9c. Which storyline are you most interested in?

1. Kiki says:

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! YOU ROCK!!

2. Julia says:

I want to hear more about Alicia and Will!!!

3. Anna says:

Please choose Will, Alica!

4. Ana M. says:

Thank you! Very excited to see the Will/Alicia info come out!

5. Sara says:

Cary. I always want more Cary. Specially if it includes more Kalinda too.

6. SARAH says:

Love this show! Great website! Thank you for finally being back!

7. Trish says:

I’m torn between loving Blake cuz he’s QB1 and hating him for Kalinda’s sake. Good stuff!

8. SCLove says:

OMG I loooooovvvvveeeeeee The Good Wife! I really, really hope Alicia gets to hear that damn voicemail before the end of this season!

9. enoughenoughnow! says:

All of them. ;) This is a sweetie of the most addictive kind and I am craving the treat.

10. The two storyline about Alicia’s choice are my favorite, the diane new firm and the peter/will crazyness!

11. CindyB says:

I guess I’m in the minority but I don’t see any chemistry at all between Alicia and Will. I do see chemistry between her and Peter, though. If she does decide to choose Will, I hope she tells Peter before acting on that decision.

12. JuliaB. says:

I’m always interested in Kalinda. I also like Diane and Blake, and of course Alicia and Will.

13. Kristen says:

I love this show… Will and Alicia need to figure it out and hook up already…

14. Fitch says:

This is probably a minority opinion, but in my opinion Alicia has to choose Peter, or she’s no longer “The Good Wife”. The whole premis of the series is based on her staying with Peter. Anything else and it becomes a different show. Her relationship with Will can grow, and mature, and progress in a lot of ways, but it can’t end in her splitting from Peter. That’s the one outcome that isn’t compatible with the show’s basic premis.

Kalinda and the rest of the cast have a dizzying collection of options, they can go in many directions, sometimes at the same time. The tension between Peter and Alicia is the framework the rest of the show hangs on – the rest of it decorates the tree as I see it.

None of this limits the creator’s horizons all that much. There can be years of tension between Alicia, Peter, and Will. I expect it to grow to a level seldom before seen in a TV series. That seems to be the creator’s special genius.

So far the creators and writers have done an absolutely world class job of evolving the show and it’s characters. I can hardly wait to see some more episodes. This is the best series I’ve seen in a long time, maybe the best one ever for me.

• Rob says:

The writer, Robert King, said in an interview (about how much he hates the show’s title and wishes he could change it) stated that The Good Wife was meant ironically. Google it and read it for yourself. The show wouldn’t be interesting at all if it was set in stone that Alicia has to stay with Peter because she’s a ‘good wife’ and being a good wife doesn’t mean you have to stay with your cheating husband. I think it means acting responsibly for your children’s sake in the face of a crisis until things are more stable, then do what’s best for you. Staying together for the sake of the children is no reason to stay in a marriage, imo.

• Kiki says:

I want Alicia to choose Peter too!

• Fluff says:

It’s not a minority opinion. I agree and I know a lot of people who agree too. I’m sorry to say that while I don’t understand why Alicia stayed with Peter in the first place, she did and it’s miles more interesting to see her trying to negotiate her new life and her family life and the awkwardness with her semi-estranged husband than a “romance” with her old college flame/boss would be. Let’s admit she gets a divorce (and they rename the show to the Good Ex-Wife), where do they go? Is there really any material for a happy love story between Will and Alicia? Where’s the interest?

• peternalicia says:

i totally agree. i find will boring and dull and there is a contrived chemistry between them which seems forced as opposed to alicia and peters. its far more interesting watching alicia and peter try work it out no matter how hard. if that means having will there for a bit so bit it but to end it with a relationship between the two would be disappointing.

15. Kareen says:

Kaliiiinda!!!!!!

16. Adam says:

Michael J. Fox needs to join this show as a permanent cast member, loved his chemistry with Julianna and his character was great.

17. Tabitha Flatt says:

More Will & Alicia for SURE (but Kalinda’s character is fantastic as well)!

18. Cailey says:

What I want to know is when are Derrick and Blake going to leave! They are ruining everything! But the Kalinda scoop was good… Watch Blake try and screw that too. And of course, Will and Alicia! (; saving the best for last…

• Fluff says:

Derrick is hardly ruining anything. He’s barely there even when he’s there. Total waste of opportunity. The one that’s taking over the show with his thuggish presence is Blake. How long can they drag on this meager storyline? It should have ended 6 episodes ago (Porter was signed on for 6 episodes total at the beginning) and it’s really dragging on. We get it, he hates Kalinda. He discovered (very little) about her past and he’s bullying her. What is she waiting for to strike back? I don’t get it.
      I’m not even going to get into how bad Porter is. He’s getting more and more one-dimensional as the character gets more cartoon-villain. He’s certainly not up to the rest of the cast and it’s a crying shame.
      Could he get killed soon? Preferably before we get YET another investigator in the show. Three’s a crowd.

19. Diana says:

As long as Peter is played by Chris Noth, I vote Peter. In reality, I am Big forever! But even if I dismissed my Big preference, I don’t see how Will is a better choice for her.

20. Sorry for going offtopic, but where did you get this theme?

21. aiwe says:

I root for Alicia and Peter. Marriage is all about staying together, being committed after all she is the Good Wife, isn’t she?

22. João Bicho says:

Alicia should stay with Peter.

But to make the show interesting, she should sleep with will in the season finale.

On the third season she will discover that she really loves peter and she needs to find the best way to tell him, and hope that he forgives her the way he wanted she to forgive him.

Make no mistakes, Peter loves Alicia and is doing everything to protect his family.

She should make a mistake only to discover that she really love him and stay with him

23. wilky says:

Peter and Alicia 4ever

24. Abby says:

I love Peter and Alicia together. He made a mistake, most men do. Will is gorgeous and I love him but not with Alicia. OTP absolutely remains Cary and Kalinda though, those two are smokin’!