Exclusive: NCIS Readies Tony-Centric Prequel

NCIS is about to go digging around in Tony DiNozzo’s (Michael Weatherly) past.

Executive producer Shane Brennan confirms to me exclusively that a Spring episode will delve into DiNozzo’s life before he became an NCIS agent (and the object of Ziva’s unrequited lust).

“The episode will reveal much about DiNozzo’s past as a Baltimore cop,” previews Brennan. “And yes, we’ll hear the first words exchanged between DiNozzo and Gibbs. It’s a memorable first meeting.”

NCIS, which currently ranks as TV’s most-watched scripted hour with an average of 21.3 million viewers, has been on a bit of an origin-episode kick this season. This fall, the show flashed back to the early days of Rocky Carroll’s Vance.

Whose backstory do you want NCIS to explore next? (That noise you hear is the sound of millions of fans screaming, Abby’s!”)

1. Susan Kennedy says:

You just made my night. New website is up and you give us info about a story about Tony’s background. Love it. Congrats on the new site.

2. Alyssa says:

YES!!! Not only has the idea of TV Line excited me, but now knowing something awesome about my favorite show? I’m definitely going to enjoy this website :)

3. brandi says:

Totally Abby!

4. Cheyenne says:

You are my hero! haha.. But seriously, this is great news! As for the ? at the end. Definitely an Abby story. And I’d like to know about McGee’sparents.

5. Patrick Hall says:

I’d like to see Abby’s origin story, as well as Ducky’s and McGee’s.

6. Liz says:

Tim! Please! Poor McGee is always kind of in the background. Give him more spotlight!

• Sam says:

Yes! I agree. Please more McGee. He (and Abby) are the main reason I watch this show. They need to recognize there are McGee fans out here severely disappointed in the lack of “Timmy” this season. I hope there is a storyline already in the works for him.

7. Ryan says:

Well Patrick, we know McGee’s backstory. We saw him meet the team in season 1. Anything without them crossing paths doesn’t terribly interest me. I would like to see how Ducky and Gibbs first came to work together, and get Lauren Holly back as Jenny. When she joined he show, it was obvious Jenny and Ducky knew each other from the days. Show one of she and Gibbs and Ducky all meeting at the same time! Maybe Abby can be in there too. Abby can’t meet Jenny in the flashback but that’s ok.

8. lacey says:

I’m probably the only NCIS fan not looking forward to this. I feel like the show’s running out of ideas, so they’re using the past to drum up plot ideas. I also hope they don’t go the “flashback” route again.

9. Brainst0rms says:

The back stories I would like to see those where the following meet: are Gibbs & Ducky, Gibbs & the Director (Rocky Carroll) [they seemed to already know each other in the lastest flashback], Abby & Gibbs, Abby & Ducky, Jenny & Ducky, Jenny & Abby, and Jenny & Ducky [we have seen early in their career but not when they met], Gibbs & Linda Hunt’s character, Ducky & L Hunt’s character, the various DoD/Navy/Marine big wigs who seem to know Gibbs.

10. Leola says:

Abby & Ducky. Both are obvious choices, but I’m sure the writers are just trying to decide which way to play it. Each actor has so much range, the choices are endless.

Welcome back Michael! So happy to have my favorite online voice speaking (er… typing?) again.

11. Megan says:

Hell yeah it’s Abby!! Abby is the worlds favourite forensic scientist/character in general!

12. melissa says:

I’m really interested in Ziva’s backstory. After Eli’s visit I’d love to know more about her family. What happened to her mother, Rivka. More about her Aunt Nettie and Tali’s death. MOSSAD also intrigues me very, very much. So yeah :)

But SO excited for this Tony story, I LOVE backstories soooooo much.. about as much as I love tony so this should be good :)

• AngelMoon Girl says:

Yes yes yes yes and more yes! I really want to know what happened to Ziva’s mother. Is she alive or dead? The Mossad/Ziva storyline is so intriguing; I’d be sad if Enemies Domestic was the complete end of it.

• starbuckcubed says:

I was thinking the same thing. Rivka has been mentioned a few times, but they never say where she is. I hope they eventually answer this question.

• arod074 says:

There r still sum open storyline ziva still doesn’t talk bout samolia, who really killed “the frog” even tho cia (cord) took credit, and jean among others. And its still obvious Haunted is still haunted by his past. Somehow Trent Cord will show up again in sum or maybe all plots mentioned

• Cris says:

Oh, for heaven’s sake… haven’t we had enough of Ziva’s background already? No more Mossad, it’s boring and overdone. We knew more about Ziva by the end of season 3 (her first season) than we knew about Ducky, Gibbs, Abby, and Tony COMBINED.

• anne Bell-Alford says:

I too am completely sick of all things Ziva. Enough already. After a year and a half of idiot Tony, I think it’s high time to put these writers to work, giving us brilliant, brave, and clever Tony. He’s had nothing but demeaning comic relief and following behind Gibbs or Ziva while only they handle the exciting action scenes. Since tptb seem so intent on “developing” other characters, I know this is probably not gonna happen, but I’m even keeping my fingers crossed for a Tony centered, (or at least one where his character actually figures in significantly) season finale.

13. Joni says:

I’ve had one heck of a great evening. 1st my OSU Buckeye’s win the Sugar Bowl and then I read this little gem.
    Heaven, I’m in Heaven……
    Is it possible to smile yourself into a headache?

Abby next? Definitely! Then on to Ducky.
    The “Core 4” ROCK!

14. AngelMoon Girl says:

Ziva’s “unrequited lust”? We watching the same show? LOL. It’s been past that point for a while now, on both sides! It’s clear Tony loves Ziva and Ziva loves Tony, they just have no clue how to communicate that to each other.

Ooh, can’t wait! I love Tony and am eager to see his origin episode! Yay for finding out his first exchange with Gibbs!

Abby origin episode needed next ;D

• as says:

Obviously we aren’t watching the same show….it’s unrequited. If it wasn’t, there wouldn’t have been Brenda or that reporter from Obsession. here’s hoping Ziva’s lust moves to the mystery man.

• Kate says:

If it’s unrequited, why does Tony get jealous and stalkerish every time Ziva looks at another man, whether it’s the steroid former Marine or her mystery man from Florida? And why did he lie about sharing a bed with her in Paris?

• tejas says:

He doesn’t get jealous. He gets *curious* because Tony’s always curious. He *loves* poking his nose into other people’s business. Always has. It’s part of why he became a cop (can’t remember which episode he said that in).

• MLE says:

Oh there is love for sure!!! Something definitely needs to happen and soon! I’m talking a real exchange of feelings and emotion! It’s been 5 seasons for petes sake!!

• AlexM says:

Angelmoongirl: I don’t see any love on Tony’s side. I used to see it as “unrequited lust” on Ziva’s part but I don’t even see that now. Just snippiness. I’d lose all respect for Tony if he has a romance with a woman who treats him the way Ziva does, especially after Aliyah. I hope the show doesn’t do that to him. Tony fans are already disappointed enough in what has been done to the character.

• Sammy says:

“Treats him the way Ziva does”? Have you even watched one single episode with Kate, who put him down to no end and told him in clear words that he has no brain?

• Cris says:

Yes… because shoving an injured man’s LOADED gun IN HIS FACE after pushing him to the ground is “tru wuv.”

The whatever-it-is going on between Tony and Ziva is badly written soap opera melodrama and needs to go away.

15. tejas says:

Whoo-hoo!!! Really hope Schenck & Cardea are writing it! They write the *best* Tony. And oh, man, let’s *hope* they keep Ziva unrequited. *shudder* Shoving those two together is such a terrible idea. No chemistry at all.

Congratulations on the new site. :-)

• NN says:

“The best Tony’s episodes”???? Do you mean Cracked with Tony in white
      costume and the lowest(yet) rating of the 8 season or maybe Obssesion with the lowest rating of the 7 season??? And of course we can just forget about Truth of Con…

• tejas says:

Sub Rosa, Eye Spy, Dead Man Talking, Probie, Flesh and Blood, Obsession and Broken Arrow for example. Yeah, they had some dogs, but they also write the best Tony out there. And yes, please, let’s *do* forget about TorC. While MW gave an incredible performance and the structure of the episode was daring and interesting, the actual *story* was horrifically bad.

• NN says:

Oh yes, we can forget about ToC, but we need to forget about half of all epesodes. I am not a shipper , but I dont mind to see romance between beatiful woman and handsome man. If you dont see chemistry between them I’m sorry for CBS, cause they are building that chemistry over 5 yaers,they actually picked Cote because of that.And majority of viwers see that too.BTW Ilike Flesh and Blood and Broken Arrow too. Remind me how MW said about Broken Arrow : my love interest???

• tejas says:

There’s no chemistry *to* build. The reason she was hired (ostensibly, at least) was because of the antagonism between them during her audition. She got ticked because he went off script and for some unknown reason DPB thought that meant she was a good match for the role. As for romance, it has no place in a show like this (I’m sure there’s something on Lifetime that will suit those who want to see romance). It just drags it down. The ship anvils they keep dropping all over the place are cringe-worthy.

• Sammy says:

She was not hired because of “antagonism” but because she had a good way of dealing with his antics – she just didn’t react. And it wasn’t not DPB but the whole team who cracked up about that.

And yeah, yeah, all that horrid shipping… strange, really, that the more “ship anvils” are dropped, the higher the ratings get.

• Xanthe says:

Schenck and Cardea didn’t write “Cracked” where Tony wore the costume (I didn’t watch that one because I can’t watch episodes where Tony humiliates himself anymore – it’s gone too far for me – but I know it was written by the new female writer on the staff and was Abby centric). They did write Obsession which was a very good Tony episode – no Tony humiliation and a very thoughtful and interesting take on Tony.

• DJ says:

That’s right. “Cracked” (the Abby episode) was the highest rated episode this season and “Enemies Domestic” (the one which was meant to have “the first big Tiva moment”) was the lowest.

• Sammy says:

There was never a moment announced for this ep specifically, only for “early in the season”. It was always just interpreted to be the two-parter, by everyone who commented on SB’s remarks.

16. NN says:

I don’t want to be dragged into discussion,and I am not talking about building any feelings,they just are.If I wanted to see just crime solving show I’d prefered documentary. Sorry,but I got an impression, that you just dont like Ziva/Cote or you would like to see some other pairing.And I am not sure we are more than SB know who does fit in show. They are show N1 in TV.So, maybe they are not that clueless.
    Anyway, good luck with your own vision and sweet dreams.(it’s midnight in Canada)

• tejas says:

I don’t want any romance in my crime dramas. And no, I no longer care for Ziva. They’ve ruined her character completely.

17. Xanthe says:

This is great news! I’ve stopped watching NCIS because I really can’t stomach the direction it’s been going in with Tony being written as an idiot who humiliates himself in virtually every episode, the Tiva stuff, and the fact that Ziva seems to be the focus of so many episodes. But I will definitely watch this one. I really hope it’s done well! The first meeting between Gibbs and Tony has been the object of so much fan speculation – I really hope they get it right! Do we know who is writing it? If it’s Schenck and Cardea then I’m hopeful as they clearly like Tony, and they seem to talk to MW about Tony-centric episodes and value his input, if F&B is anything to go by.

18. JJ says:

As not every viewer sees (or wants) onscreen romance can we please keep it to this “supposes” unrequited lust? Of course it could always be unrequited because it’s one sided. Ziva lusts after Tony but Tony doesn’t date mad chicks.

I’m not sure if I’m looking forward to this episode or dreading. Can we at least hope t6hat who ever writes this episode has watched seasons 1 and 2… How Tony and Gibbs were before we had this move to the almost soap opera level of ‘reveals’ that have constituted the last two seasons… Ziva actually sent to kill her brother top get into NCIS? Gibbs really is a murderer who whose drive for justice is very selective…

19. TinyTina says:

This is fantastic news!!! I LOLd at your description of Tony as “the object of Ziva’s unrequited lust”!!! I totally agree – never saw Tiva, never will. Don’t care for Ziva.

I love that Tony is getting an origin episode all to himself!!! Tony and Gibbs 1st meeting will be awesome! Hope he has lots of big scenes with Gibbs! Tony and Gibbs scenes are always the best! Not enough of them (any?!!!) in Season Eight so far and NCIS is so boring without them! Awesome actors! Please let this be good, NCIS! PLEASE!

20. Xanthe says:

Also, I wonder if we’ll see the first headslap? That has the potential to be such a classic moment if done right.

I’m really hopeful in this episode that they’ll go back to the show’s roots and rediscover the wonderful character Tony was in the beginning. I hope we’ll see evidence of “the best young agent” Gibbs has ever worked with. Goofy and fun-loving but essentially a great cop/agent.

Wasn’t something said in an episode once that he went undercover in the mob when he was a cop? Maybe that’ll be when they meet which would be fantastic. Well, it’ll be fantastic if this is the Tony who was great undercover in “Chained” and not the Tony who was awful undercover in “Guilty Pleasures” (shudder!).

Tony seems to have remained friends with his Baltimore colleagues – we’ve often seen him calling them for help with a case over the years – I hope we see evidence of that friendship in the episode.

I really hope MW has had input into this episode.

21. Soraya says:

Lookin forward to this!

22. DJ says:

This is an awesome spoiler!! So looking forward to this now. Seeing how Tony & Gibbs first met has always been at the top of my wishlist and I’m sure that Mark and Michael will knock it out the park. They always do! Words can not describe how excited I am about this!!

23. Sherri says:

Totally ABBY!

24. jessica says:

Glad to have you back and thank you for the NCIS spoiler!

25. Mris says:

Love Tony and Ziva, they are the main reason I watch NCIS and even my kids are watching too. I adore Abby, Ducky, Gibbs, the entire cast but the interplay between Tony and Ziva is what keeps me coming back for more. I do not think a romantic pairing would harm the show in any way but give it more depth and different angles to play it from.

26. AlexM says:

Thank you for the spoiler. It sounds very interesting for fans of Tony. It’s nice to have some non-Ziva & Vance spoilers for NCIS.

27. Suncatcher says:

TVGuide.com reported today that there will be no “Tiva” – that there will be a new love interest this year for Tony and it won’t be Ziva.

ABBS, for sure! Writers could have a field day dreaming up the perfect back story on Abby! Ex: Why Gibbs is so protective of her…

Welcome back, Mike Ausiello!!! We missed you and wish you all the best with this new project. The site looks GREAT!

• Sammy says:

Proof of this or link, please. Because so far I see no report of this sorts on tvguide.com …

• Cris says:

Really? That would be fanTAStic… particularly if it was the final nail in the Tiva coffin for good.

• tejas says:

OH, man, I would *love* if it they’d finally kill that misbegotten thing once and for all. It was a bad idea from the outset and it’s just gotten worse. The irony is, if they’d left everything to subtext, everyone who wanted to see it as a pairing, could and everyone else wouldn’t be bashed over the head with it.

• AngelMoon Girl says:

Suuuure. TVGuide is reporting nothing of the sort.

Viva La Tiva!

28. cs says:

when does the new eppie come on

29. Kate says:

I’d like to see more backstory on Ducky beyond Afghanistan. And to meet Ziva’s mother.

30. thomastephen says:

i dont care if its tony pre ncis duckys,gibbs,abbys,tims or zivas ,as all story lines are great JUST KEEP THEM COMING……

• MJ says:

I agree with “thomastephen” in JUST KEEP THEM COMING… Love this show. Far exceeds all the other CIS shows! I guess if I have to pick, I’d say Abby first then Ducky. The best mix of characters of any TV show I have ever seen. Eight months ago another lady in my rural area and I rescued Boston Terrier puppies out of the “South.” I named my male “Gibbs” and she named her female “Ziva.” Before you know it we’ll have a whole cast. Yes, I know, a little over the top, but how many other women can say that they sleep with “Gibbs” every night?!

31. aengeleousz says:

Aside their origins, i would also love to see more crossover series between NCIS & NCIS: LA. ÜÜÜ

32. commentsncis says:

Please, no Ziva back story – NCIS fans have subjected to enough of her.

Hooray for the news on Tony….everyone has been waiting a long time to find out how Gibbs and Tony met – its been 10 years of Tony having Gibb’s Six. And hoping that means no Ziva in this episode.

Next would like to see how Gibbs and Abby/ and Gibbs and Ducky met.

Less Ziva!! More McGee! More Abby! More Ducky!

• Roxyinthehouse says:

I love Ziva but ive had enough of the israelies already enrmies foreign and enemies domestic started to bore me so maybe a backstory of her childhood and early years in mossad

33. commentsncis says:

No more Ziva backstory – we already know how she joined NCIS – we don’t need to know how she joined Mossad – this is a show about the US NCIS , not Mossad.

34. Cris says:

Seeing as how the show is now in it’s 8th season (and Tony has been on Gibbs’ six for 10 years now,) we are LONG overdue for the Tony origin episode, and yet, I have to admit to being quite wary of how this will play out.

While, I am very happy there will FINALLY be an exploration of the story behind “I smiled,” the way Tony has been written over the last 2 seasons makes me extremely skeptical. I do hope whoever will be writing this episode goes back to re-watch seasons 1&2 to get a better feel for the original dynamic between Tony and Gibbs (and it would be great if we could actually get BACK to that in the current season and beyond.)

Hopefully, this also means a Ziva-free episode… or at least, Ziva-light.

As for the “unrequited lust”… if we’re lucky, it will stay that way… or, better yet, just go away all together. The show is NOT ZCIS or The Mighty Mossad Hour.

35. lacey says:

People take this whole “unrequited” thing way too seriously. Probably meant “unresolved.” There hasn’t been any outright lust from either character in a while, but the teasing’s been done about equally over the last few seasons (Ziva moreso in earlier seasons, Tony moreso later on). It’s just subtext though, there’s no definite right or wrong. The show obviously wants to be teasing the idea of it.

36. Adriana says:

I’m no expert here but the average of 19 million viewers they rake in every week shows me that what ever they are doing (Tiva, no Tiva, Ziva, backstories, etc.) they are doing something good here. I don’t get all this bickering about it. Whenever I read something on NCIS there is always the bickering about Ziva/Tiva in the comments. You don’t like it? Move on. There are a gazillion other great shows out there to like and worship, yet there are people out there that choose to loathe a single character of a show that, from the looks and sound of things, they don’t like anymore?! Whats the fun in that? Why do that? What is the point to all of this? Ziva is and will remain a part of this show, whether people like it or not. (and judging by the ratings, there are more people liking it than people not liking it). Get over it. Let people who do enjoy this show enjoy it and move on to something you yourself can enjoy. Unless maybe you like feeling all depressed and negative, spewing hate for a FICTIONAL character.

37. Carmen Clow says:

Thank you Adrianna! I am not sure why people enjoy “spewing hate for a fictional character”
    It does make me wonder? Is it because of Tony/Ziva thing or is it because she is beautiful.
    I do wish something would happen with Tony and Ziva I love the sexual tension, it is just fun. There are a lot of TONY?ZIVA blogs and posts that wish SOMETHING would happen, even one night. One of the most bought show is the one with the two of them undercover as husband and wife. I would myself watch it again. lol

• tejas says:

It’s because Ziva’s a badly written character and serves no useful purpose on the show. As for hating a fictional character, I find it interesting that the ones who most often find fault with that are usually also ripping into *real* people at the same time. Ah, the irony.

• Ben says:

Does Miss de Pablo have a restraining order against you? Because she probably should. I rarely post but its disturbing that everytime I read anything about NCIS you’re here with more derisive comments. Scary.

38. toast says:

As much as I like Tony, I’d love to see an Abby and/or McGee prequel. Plus… they should really have McGee write again. :)

39. ncisfan says:

I have been waiting for this episode for awhile now. Want to see Tony’s background explored in more detail, especially as related to Gibbs and their first meeting. I hope they show Tony’s first encounters with Abby and Ducky as well. And I hope this is a truly Tony-centric episode, and not one he has to share once again with any other character.

40. Steve says:

Ziva Growing up in Isreal could be an interesting moment in time. Once she mentioned in an episode that her younger sister was killed. Could be a great story line as to how and why other than Daddy David, got her into Mussad.

41. Jay says:

Hi NCIS fans and Michael A.

Love your new blog. NCIS has jumped into the realm of one of the world’s favorite TV drama/cop show. There are re-runs that keep everyone abreast of the mythology and storyline and most of all the Charters! We love them so much we want to know more and more about them. Kudos to the actors, Mark Harmon, Michael Weatherly, Cote De Pablo, Sean Murray, Pauly Perrette and David MacCallum. They superb in their roles and the writers/producers/directors have used them to the best of their capabilites as thespians. I think most of us can “feel” the passion and dedication in how this show plays out week after week. For all who love “shipper” couples (See Ex-Files and Moonlighting as the beginning of the “shipper” shows), this is the highest compliment fans can pay to a TV show. For those who simply don’t know what it is all about – go to YouTube and type in “Tiva” and watch a dozen or so videos. Then you will see… :)

42. Steve says:

Backstory is a great view to a scene..so to speak. If they should do Ducky’s…Would it not be great to intertwine his past TV life as a “Man from Uncle” and allow that to be a part of his true background story.
    As he is so often to begin his story telling, interject Robert Vaughn at the halfway point to give his story credibility.
    Ahhh…what a show this would be:)

43. Morgan says:

I would like a McGee story! I mean, we’ve met Gibbs, Ziva and Tony’s dad but what about poor McGee? The most we’ve heard about his parents in when Tony said that his dad was Navy! And McGee hasn’t been getting much spotlight this season. How cool would it be if his mother turned up and started fussing about him being so skinny? And with his dad being Navy and all, wouldn’t there have been some repercussions, what with his dad being gone all the time? And the fact that he’s a geek, so school without his dad around would be tough wouldn’t it? There is so much we don’t know about McGee’s past that they could make a really good episode with it. Nothing ever happens to McGee (at least nothing the team takes seriously) and the odds of nothing ever happening to him while he’s in law inforcement in really slim. That’s just my opinion.

44. Gwen says:

Some McGee stories, please. He is the reason I watch this show.

45. Angelina says:

Great delivery. Outstanding arguments. Keep up the great work.